2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, this doesn't even look right.

653ab2e4-9379-4dc5-b50c-20e0640a8838.jpg

As much as I don't like the player Francouer, a part of me died seeing this picture.

Overreact much?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It is a little odd to see that. This guy was compared to Dale Murphy. Now he's a Met. I couldn't think of a worse fate for a player than going to the Mets ;)

As someone who grew up watching Dale Murphy, that's an absurd comparison. Nothing against Francoeur, but Murphy was a borderline HOFer (IMO he should be in the HOF) who if not for Mike Schmidt, might have gone down as the dominant offensive player of the early / mid '80s. It's not fair for any player with only four or five years of ML experience to be compared to someone like Murphy.

EDIT: by "watching Dale Murphy", I mean reading in the paper and watching him play against the Phillies and seeing his highlights on TWIB with Mel Allen. Didn't have Sports Center or this interweb thing back in '85 when I was 8.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It is a little odd to see that. This guy was compared to Dale Murphy. Now he's a Met. I couldn't think of a worse fate for a player than going to the Mets ;)

As someone who grew up watching Dale Murphy, that's an absurd comparison. Nothing against Francoeur, but Murphy was a borderline HOFer (IMO he should be in the HOF) who if not for Mike Schmidt, might have gone down as the dominant offensive player of the early / mid '80s. It's not fair for any player with only four or five years of ML experience to be compared to someone like Murphy.

EDIT: by "watching Dale Murphy", I mean reading in the paper and watching him play against the Phillies and seeing his highlights on TWIB with Mel Allen. Didn't have Sports Center or this interweb thing back in '85 when I was 8.

I couldn't agree more. Murphy hit a home run in the first Major League game I ever attended. I'm appalled that he is not in the HOF when I could name at least half a dozen guys who didn't have as good a career as he did but are in Cooperstown.

But yea, when Francoeur was coming up, he was pegged as the next Murphy. It was a reach for a kid that had not even played a full season at that time. But that's the media for ya.

Sometimes that's just how fans are saying things like that, I went to a Mets game Wednesday and got a dirty look from Oliver Perez for saying "Don't Suck Tonight"

And you blame the GM for why the Mets constantly underperform? Hell, if I had 40,000 people constantly telling me how terrible I was over the course of 6 or 7 months every year I'd probably start to believe it.

Its called negative reinforcement, you shut the fans up by playing well.

Oliver did get the win so he listened and did not suck

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

When do the Yankees admit the Joba experiment is a failure? All I see out of him is an average pitcher as a starter. The Yankees and Joba need to put their egos aside and put Joba where he belongs. By keeping him in the rotation they make their rotation and their bullpen weaker because he can't go more than 5. If you want to make him a starter and let him go 5, then put him where he belongs in the minors in AA and let him work his arm, his head and his knowledge of how to pitch. He's a 1 inning guy at best. Don't give me this crap about he has 4 pitches, I don't care. If you can't do anything with your 4 pitches and you go 7 or 8 and give up 3 runs or less, then get into the bullpen.

As far as the Angels, it's going to be 1 and out in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. Their pitching is weak. I have no faith in their starters, few show what it takes to win it all. Weaver, I don't trust him. His name is Weaver and just look at his brother, he's a guy that will look good, but gives up way too many home runs. I like Plamer's W-L and that's what matters, but he walks too many putting stress on the defense. And the bullpen is horrendous. The only good thing about their bullpen is Fuentes, but there's nothing in front of him to let him do his job. What I see out of this team is lack of leadership in the field and on the mound. There are no leaders. Lackey is pitching like a 4th guy, and needs to step up. I just find they have way too many players such as Gary Matthews, Ayabar, Kendrick, Mathis, Napoli, Abreu etc. who are quite guys, but their are no guys challenging them to step up. Hunter's not that player, nor is Vlad. They have too many soft-spoken players. What they need to do is shake up this team. It's time to trade Figgins and one of their shortstops and some other "talent" for Holliday who is a #1 starter. This team has no clue on how to win. Winning isn't what they've done this weekend as the Yankees gave these games away. Winning is in Ocotober and you can't tell me the Angels will win their series, let alone make the playoffs. I know some people might blame this season on the loss of Adenheart, but that can only take you so far. He would've pitched once every 5 days. Their problems are deeper than that. Adenheart wasn't on the team that got embarrassed the past few years in the playoffs. Why are the Red Sox winning World Championships and teams like the Angels and Yankees struggling to make the playoffs and when they do, they can't show up? Simple, Boston builds their team to win in October. As an Angel fan, I can say that there is no one on the roster I trust come October. They need to move on from Vlad, he's proven to just be breaking down every year. Once you have injuries, they don't go away. The fact that he got injured the way he did, honestly, the faster he's gone, the quicker they can move on to a new player who they can rely on. It's not that he's not good, he's just wasting roster space and money each year being injured. You can't count on him.

I really, really hope you're wrong. The Halos are scrappy as all hell this year, which immediately brings me to the '02 team. If and when the pitching staff gets healthy, I think they could make a real run in the postseason. Part of me likes that they're not making a huge surge right now. Every other year, they catch fire around this time, only to crap out in September. I'm not saying it's going to be different, but it'd be nice if they made a run in September, rather than just holding onto the division. I also like that guys like Nappy and Rivera have been playing well...and I'm hoping Howie gets back into the rhtyhm of things.

Angels sweep the Yankees. That's great news! :)

Let us look at the first half standings...shall we? ;)

AL EAST

Boston (54-34)

New York 3 GB

Tampa Bay 6.5 GB

Baltimore 11 GB

Toronto 14 GB

AL CENTRAL

Detroit (48-39)

Chicago 3.5 GB

Minnesota 4 GB

Kansas City 11 GB

Cleveland 14 GB

AL WEST

Los Angeles (49-37)

Texas 1.5 GB

Seattle 4 GB

Oakland 12 GB

NL EAST

Philadelphia (48-38)

Florida 4 GB

Atlanta 6 GB

New York 6.5 GB

Washington 22.5 GB

NL CENTRAL

St. Louis (49-42)

Milwaukee 2.5 GB

Chicago 3.5 GB

Houston 3.5 GB

Cincinnati 5 GB

Pittsburgh 9.5 GB

NL WEST

Los Angeles (56-32)

San Francisco 7 GB

Colorado 9 GB

Arizona 18.5 GB

San Diego 20 GB

So there you have it. What will happen in the second half? Can anyone catch the Dodgers? Who will win the NL Central? Or the NL East? Or the AL East for that matter? Can Texas and Seattle stay in the race through September? Let's hear it!

As much as I don't like the player Francoeur, a part of me died seeing this picture.

The part of you that slugs .354 and can't hit curveballs? Congrats!

Why is everyone making such a huge issue about the Francoeur deal?? Jesus Christ. The guy wasn't even an all-star!!

6uXNWAo.png

Yeah, that's what some Post writers were saying today. Personally, I think he should stay the rest of the year. I mean, when you're 22.5 GB at the all-star break, you're not going anywhere in the standings. Firing the manager, while not a bad move by any means, really isn't a season saver. Besides, no one in the system really stands out to be the new manager. I'd rather wait until the offseason, when there's more choices.

But still, fired before the all-star break. Could be worse. He could've been fired during a series on the other coast, during the season after you and your team had a record breaking choke-job.

As much as I don't like the player Francoeur, a part of me died seeing this picture.

The part of you that slugs .354 and can't hit curveballs? Congrats!

Why is everyone making such a huge issue about the Francoeur deal?? Jesus Christ. The guy wasn't even an all-star!!

It's the Georgia boy going to the Mets.

Actually, we don't really wish that on anyone.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

Why do the few MLB games I go to always have the worst pitching matchups? Jason Berken (1-5) vs. Brett Cecil (2-1) tomorrow. Both have a 6+ ERA, and I would rather see any current Orioles starter start over him. Guthrie, Bergesen, Hill or Tillman (Probably will be called up next week)

At least it should be a high scoring game.

2-0, close :)

Looks like the baseball gods heard your grievance and gave you an enjoyable game.

Haha, yea. It was a good game, too bad the Orioles lost, but It was still a great game and weekend. However if I would have known the outcomes I would have rather been at one of the two O's wins.

saBS.png

Archived