2nd NFL franchise in Chicago?

AJM

Not 100% sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I found and article where Chicago Mayor Daley states his case for a second NFL franchise in Chi-City.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,5440986.column

also at, http://deadspin.com/5135562/chicago-wants-...tball-franchise

Not sure Chicago fans would embrace a new team, but thought the article is worth a read.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

How about Mayor Daley content himself with State money for his bloody Olympics and forget trying to get a second NFL team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How about Mayor Daley content himself with State money for his bloody Olympics and forget trying to get a second NFL team.

Ramsy, your ever present opinion of your home state is why I'm so happy I got to move back to Missouri from Illinois when I was so young (3 or 4 years old.)

:D

Not 100% sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I found and article where Chicago Mayor Daley states his case for a second NFL franchise in Chi-City.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,5440986.column

The NFL will never allow a 2nd NFL franchise in Chicago before they put another one in LA. Just because they have two baseball teams, that doesn't mean they should have two football teams - though at one point I think there were four baseball teams in the New York City metro area - but that's NYC, not Chicago.

sig1.gif

The Bears would never allow it and the fans wouldn't go for it. It's the same deal as the idle chatter a few years ago about the suburbs getting the Grizzlies: nobody is going to give up their true love, as bleak as the Bears or Bulls may seem. "Yeah, Michael and Scottie were great, but that's old news! I'm on board for the Rosemont Grizzlies." No, not highly likely.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't see this happening, but not because the Bears would never allow it (since when did the Bears front office become Commissioner?), and not because of LA (for reasons that have been discussed in this forum ad nauseum), but because I've heard much more vehement discussion about cities like Mexico City and Toronto. This makes sense, in my opinion, because the league's focus should be on under served markets not NFL stalwarts.

I do agree with the previous two posters in one respect, I don't see Chicago's citizens embracing a new team no matter how poorly Da Bears perform.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

The Bears would never allow it and the fans wouldn't go for it. It's the same deal as the idle chatter a few years ago about the suburbs getting the Grizzlies: nobody is going to give up their true love, as bleak as the Bears or Bulls may seem. "Yeah, Michael and Scottie were great, but that's old news! I'm on board for the Rosemont Grizzlies." No, not highly likely.

I remember the alleged plans to make them the Dixmoor Grizzlies. That was a freakin' riot.

Daley was clearly drunk with secondhand power from being around the Inaugural festivities. Chicago used to be a two-football-team town. Know why the Cardinals moved? Because this really and truly was a Bears town, and the Cards couldn't compete. 50 years later, this is even more of a Bears town, and anyone trying to bring in any sort of competition will find themselves woefully short on fan support for the duration. The Bears, good, bad, or indifferent, own the sports conversation in Chicago like no other team. There's a reason why WBBM radio's sportscasters brand all their reports as "on your home for Bears football..." in May. The Cubs and Sox could each be 15 games up in their divisions in July, but if Kyle Orton snaps a shoelace in Bourbonnais, that's going to be the hot topic.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Out of everything, and I'm talking sports, the olympics and politics in Chicago...there is only one thing the whole city rallies behind.

And that's the Bears. Dispite the fact that the ownership has sucked, and they've made some pretty poor decisions over the last 25 years, the fans still support the team like no other team outside of wrigleyville is supported.

No way another team would have the support it needed to make it in Chicago.

I remember this came up around the time they were starting the olympic bid. Daley was saying that the Olympic stadium could house another team.

Let me list the cities that deserve a NFL team before Chicago gets a second one

1. Los Angeles

2. Toronto

3. London

4. Portland

5. Oklahoma City

6. Salt Lake City

7. Birmingham

8. Boise

9. Lincoln

10. Des Moines

Anyone can add to this list

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I can just see the trouble that a London team would create. The biggest problem would be travel of course. It's one of the reasons you would be hard pressed to find a professional team in Hawaii. It's just too far to travel for a weekly game.

Let me list the cities that deserve a NFL team before Chicago gets a second one

1. Los Angeles

2. Toronto

3. London

4. Portland

5. Oklahoma City

6. Salt Lake City

7. Birmingham

8. Boise

9. Lincoln

10. Des Moines

Anyone can add to this list

- San Antonio is probably right up near the top of any list. I'd say after LA and Toronto.

- Las Vegas is ALWAYS on a list for a league, until the very last moment when they decide the gambling factor is too great a risk. But it'll get it's turn one of these days, though most likely, and arena sport, Basketball or Hockey, will be the first Vegas team.

- As previously mentioned, Mexico City, or Monterrey (as in the case with baseball) is starting to get some looks. Mexico usually ends up just on the outside of every finalist list, but it's still getting some consistent attention. Only a matter of time.

- Norfolk, VA is starting to get some love, via past relocation efforts in other leagues. Hornets, Grizzlies(?) and the Expos all had the Hampton Roads region under consideration when planning their respective moves.

As previously mentioned, Mexico City, or Monterrey (as in the case with baseball) is starting to get some looks. Mexico usually ends up just on the outside of every finalist list, but it's still getting some consistent attention.

I openly question just how much serious consideration expansion to Mexico is really being given by any U.S.-based major pro leagues. Frankly, I believe such claims are nothing but pie-in-the-sky, politically-correct, "we're boldly thinking outside the box" bull :censored: . Why? Because...

Only a matter of time.

Correction: Only a matter of CRIME.

When it comes to crime, Mexico is a glorified third-world country. Gangland-style slayings and kidnappings have been on the rise for years. Even a city such as Monterrey - once considered to be all but free of such activity - has seen a significant spike in such crime over the past 2 to 3 years. Professional athletes would be tempting targets for kidnappers looking to squeeze millions of dollars in ransom out of loved-ones back home in the United States of America.

How bad is it? I have a relative who works as an executive in the security division of a major U.S. firm. Recently, in anticipation of employees of said firm making a trip to Mexico, his company entered into a subcontract with one of the world's leading private security entities, an agency that specializes in preventing high-profile kidnappings. Within three hours of arriving in Mexico City to oversee preparations for a corporate event being conducted by my brother's company, the anti-kidnapping consultant... had been kidnapped.

Bottom line? Expansion to Mexico by U.S.-based major pro sports teams is a pipe-dream.

As previously mentioned, Mexico City, or Monterrey (as in the case with baseball) is starting to get some looks. Mexico usually ends up just on the outside of every finalist list, but it's still getting some consistent attention.

I openly question just how much serious consideration expansion to Mexico is really being given by any U.S.-based major pro leagues. Frankly, I believe such claims are nothing but pie-in-the-sky, politically-correct, "we're boldly thinking outside the box" bull :censored: . Why? Because...

Only a matter of time.

Correction: Only a matter of CRIME.

When it comes to crime, Mexico is a glorified third-world country. Gangland-style slayings and kidnappings have been on the rise for years. Even a city such as Monterrey - once considered to be all but free of such activity - has seen a significant spike in such crime over the past 2 to 3 years. Professional athletes would be tempting targets for kidnappers looking to squeeze millions of dollars in ransom out of loved-ones back home in the United States of America.

How bad is it? I have a relative who works as an executive in the security division of a major U.S. firm. Recently, in anticipation of employees of said firm making a trip to Mexico, his company entered into a subcontract with one of the world's leading private security entities, an agency that specializes in preventing high-profile kidnappings. Within three hours of arriving in Mexico City to oversee preparations for a corporate event being conducted by my brother's company, the anti-kidnapping consultant... had been kidnapped.

Bottom line? Expansion to Mexico by U.S.-based major pro sports teams is a pipe-dream.

I for one, don't really care to expand into Mexico.

If the NFL were to expand outside of the US, it would no longer be the National Football League...It would be the International Football League...

For once, can't we keep an American sport inside the US borders?

No.*

* See NFL Europe.

If the NFL were to expand outside of the US, it would no longer be the National Football League...It would be the International Football League...

*points to the NHL*

*reminds mkersey that the "National" in NHL originally meant Canada*

Not to mention the Toronto Blue Jays playing in the American League.

If the NFL were to expand outside of the US, it would no longer be the National Football League...It would be the National American Football League...

Fixed Your Post. :D

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Okay, so Daley's a knucklehead, someone suggested Lincoln f'n Nebraska should have an NFL team, grawgrawfootballsamurkin, Fixed Your Post, did I miss anything?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived