Overrated/underrated Players

Brass

Who do you guys think are the most overrated and underrated players in any league? I'm going to take a stab at the NHL

Overrated:

3. Chris Chelios-Sure he did do a lot with Chicago, but those days are over. He is getting old, but not like what he used to be. He's capable of much more points.

2. Paul Kariya/Teemu Selanne-Like Chelios, these guys are capable of a crap more points. I know they are injured often, but both completely dropped off the edge of the world.

1. Martin Brodeur-Ok, I know NJ fans especially are going to bag me for this but, Martin Brodeur. Look at what is in front of him! If I had that defense, I would be getting shutout after shutout also. I mean, if you threw him in a Boston uni, he would be just another goaltender in the NHL.

Underrated:

3. Glen Murray-back-to-back 40 goal seasons, and still doesn't get any respect or attention. C'mon, this guy is worthy of more.

2. Jere Lehtinen-Probably the best defensive player in the NHL. He can also score, but as yet to get the attention of the press.

1. Michael Peca-My favroite style of player owns the top 2 spots. Do people not like the defensive forward? This guy helps out in the zone, gets points, and is the Captain of the Isles. He is Mr. Underrated.

Ok, bash away, because when it comes to voicing your opinon here, too many different people think they are right about everything.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Overrated:

3. Felix Potvin. Keeps getting chances. He's a maybe starter at best...

2.Dany Heatley. Just don't see the magic everyone else does, I guess.

1. Gretzky. Anyone who says he is the best of all time is ignoring half the game: Defense. Gretz played against the worst (Statisticly)defenses and goalies in the NHL's history, while not being able to help as much as others on defense. He also needed to have an army of enforcers in front of him. He was amazing, but I'd take Lemieux, Orr, or Howe over him in a heartbeat.

Underrated:

4. Doug Gilmour. It's hard to say any Leaf is Possible to be underrated, but this guy scared me for years. Was out of gas in Montreal, but he had HEART (Also see #1).

3. Brodeur. Only Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuck, Ken Dryden, and Patrick Roy could dominate a game like this guy can. I believe the true test of greatness is making a rule out of you: It happened to Doug Harvey(His PP quarterbacking was so effective, they had to add the goal/minor penalty rule), and it happened to him. He made the trap work in Jersey. Best goalie of the 1990's. And this is a Habs fan talking.

2. I agree, Glen Murray. Bit of home-province bias there, of course. Interesting fact: His favourite hobby is surfing.

1. Guy Carbonneau. The mental equal of Gretzky, but turned it to defense. COMPLETLEY stopped Gretz in the 1993 finals, him and Roy kept the Canadiens in that playoffs. 3 Selkes, and Quite a few 50 point seasons also. Not the biggest, not the strongest, never got in unnecessary fights. He just tried the hardest of any player I ever watched. Him, Lemieux, Messier (Until the Canucks fiasco)and Neely were the only four forwards I've ever seen that can pick up a game and dominate it like Carbonneau. He and Gainey are THE defensive forwards of the games history.

Alrighty, I'll take a stab at the NFL then,

Over-Rated

3.) Randy Moss - We all know he has the size advantage, but if he is contested it presents problems for him. He is not very good when it comes to actually catching the ball, if he can get higher than the defender then he can, but otherwise he has a difficult time bringing it down consistantly.

2.) Tom Brady - The only reason he seems to be that good is because of his supporting cast. If he didn't have such reliable recievers and backs, he wouldn't be able to pull off most of the s*** that he did in the Super Bowl.

1.) Rich Gannon - He was good in his day, but now he's just too old and can't do it anymore. He's career is pretty much over.

Under-Rated (I got 4 instead of 3)

4.) Todd Heap - I know he made it to the pro bowl last year but he isn't getting the recognition he desirves. He reminds of a Shannon Sharpe, able to pull down receptions that appear to be impossible and can take hit after hit and still keeps going.

3.) Jake Plummer - All because of the Arizona Cardinals. He is one hell of a quarterback, and it was proven how valuble he was when he went down in Denver. He had a 9-2 record (not including the dissapointing playoff blowout).

2.) Drew Bennett - Because of Derek Mason and Tyrone Calico no one realizes how good he really is. Time after time he made great plays to bring Tennessee back into several games, like the winning TD in Houston. Probably wont get the recognition either because of Mason and Calico.

1.) Jake Delhomme - Proved that Carolina doesn't need Davis to win every game, and the reason the Panthers had a chance to win the Super Bowl. Look for him to prove himself next season and get rid of the "fluke" label.

2.) Tom Brady - The only reason he seems to be that good is because of his supporting cast. If he didn't have such reliable recievers and backs, he wouldn't be able to pull off most of the s*** that he did in the Super Bowl.

Whoa!!! Wait a minute. His supporting cast! He makes his supporting cast what they are. Look at every other team in the playoffs. They all have marquee running backs and receivers. His ground game is non existent and he was an instrumental part in the Pats success. The Pats D was amazing, but when they needed someone to bail them out, guess who delivers against some of the more touted defenses in the league. And on the biggest stage of all, who delivers? Why, it's Mr. Brady.

Current Most Over Rated

MLB Pedro Martinez

NFL Terrell Owens

NBA Vince Carter

NHL Jaromir Jagr

All Time Most Over Rated

MLB Cal Ripken Jr.

NFL John Elway

NBA Bill Bradley

NHL Raymond Borque

Current Under Rated

MLB Todd Helton

NFL Steve McNair

NBA Jermaine O'Neal

NHL Scott Neidermeyer

All Time Under Rated

MLB Gil Hodges

NFL Jim Marshall

NBA Bob McAdoo

NHL Mike Gartner

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

All Time Most Over Rated

MLB Cal Ripken Jr.

NFL John Elway

NBA Bill Bradley

NHL Raymond Borque

whoa, whoa, whoa! John Elway, what is wrong with you, the ONLY quarterback in NFL history to start in 5 Super Bowls (the first 3 with no Running Back or Defense). How can you say someone is overrated when he holds the all time record for wins, come-from-behind wins and is 2nd in all-time passing yardage?

Ray Borque, probably the greatest defenseman of ALL TIME, enough said.

Now my list:

Overrated:

1. Terrel Owens - Suspect hands at best and his greediness took away from some of the other receivers developing.

2. Brian Griese - Teams keep giving this guy a shot, but there's a reason he hasn't been able to keep his job.

3. Aaron Brooks - Constantly making stupid mistakes and has probably one of the most talented supporting casts in the NFL.

Underrated:

1. DeShaun Foster and Stephen Davis - No one gave these guys any credit. They were are great mix with one another and probably the best 1-2 punch in football.

2. Patrcik Ramsey - The Skins getting Brunnell was baffeling. Ramsey is a great talent and a smart kid. He deserves to be starting in the NFL somewhere.

3. Todd Heap - Completely agree with Skater on this one. He is far more consistent than Shockey and has a better attitude. (Insert Ravens QB here)'s most consistent target and go to guy. Great player.

I can't believe someone named Gretzky as over-rated. That is pure idoitic. Lemeiux, Gretzky, Howe are arguable the 3 greatest players ever.

Brodeur, hello.........this guy has been the man in NJ for over 10 years, 3 rings. Yeah, maybe underrated.

How can Heatley been over-rated? The guy was MVP of All-Star Game.

4. Doug Gilmour.  It's hard to say any Leaf is Possible to be underrated, but this guy scared me for years.  Was out of gas in Montreal, but he had HEART (Also see #1).

I couldn't agree more with Dougie being underrated. I was estatic when he became a Hab. I knew he wasn't going to be the force he was in TO, but he had heart on a team completely devoid of it. Along with Wendel Clark, he was one Leaf that I would cheer for and love to meet in person. His contribution to both teh Flames and Leaf are hardly recognized outside of Calgary and Toronto, but will never be forgotten in those cities. Doug is a toronto god.

lets see, underrated...Robert Lang and Martin St. Louis come to mind, until this season they haven't truely receved the regognition they desreve for their play.

As for over-rated, I can't say more than JAROMIR JAGR. without MArio, what is he? a huge dent in your playroll.

And A-Rod...even if he is teh AL MVP, you can't justifiy that kind of money for Any player

Ray Bourque? Overrated? Hardly. Maybe not the greatest defenseman ever (I'd have to give it to Orr--it seems odd to give it to such an offensive-minded defenseman, but he changed the way that D was played, period), but certainly one of the elite. Don't give me that.

And to think that Gretzky was just another player? Are you kidding me? You don't hold THAT MANY league records--never mind the huge margins he holds those records by--by just having played in a certain era. Give me a break.

Likewise Brodeur. Sure, he may not have enjoyed quite the level of success with another team, but "just another goalie"? Riiiiight.

Anyway, as for who I'd pick...

- Jagr. Yes, Jagr has been a prime-time player before. But he's not worth his contract nor the esteem he's currently held in, and hasn't been since he left Pittsburgh.

- Lindros. Eric Crybaby wasn't worthy of the MVP when he won it, and overall, his career hasn't come close to living up to the hype.

Tough to come up with too many more, really, without combing the league a bit.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

- Lindros. Eric Crybaby wasn't worthy of the MVP when he won it, and overall, his career hasn't come close to living up to the hype.

ohhhh, theres a name htat I over looked...ever since his draft fiasco with the Nordiques he's had trouble with teh NHL, he never became the player he should have been, and soon he's going to end up just like his brother, and he'll never have had the opertunity to raise a cup...he shoulda stayed with the Generals for life, he meant more as a junior

I apologize for the Borque statement, I am a hockey fan, but im not too big on its history as I have been a fin for only as long as the Avalanche have been in Colorado. I didn't know that Orr was a defenseman, but I do know how good he was, and I know MUCH more about football, so if it comes to that then I'll roll with the best of them.

I didn't say Gretz was just another player, I just said that on a game-by-game basis, I'd rather have Howe (Defensive ability) Lemieux (Could dominate a game without ANY supporting cast) or Orr (The ultimate weapon). Gretz is about #4 in my all-time book.

"MVP of the All-Star game"? Is that all your argument? The best player in an EXHIBITION game? Now THAT'S "idiotic" to quote you.

All Time Most Over Rated

MLB Cal Ripken Jr.

holy plop! tank and i FINALLY agree on something.....cal ripken, jr. is indeed the most overrated player EVER.

if he is in the HOF, alan trammell should be there too. their stats are absolutely comparable.

to be in the HOF for being a self serving, greedy, punkass jerk who continued to play because he thought he was bigger than the game is ridiculous.

NFL Overrated: Culpepper, Hovan, Moss (and I am a viking fan), Me-Shawn Johnson

NFL Underrated: Deon Branch, Steve McNair

MLB Overrated: (All-time--I agree 100% with Cal Ripken Jr.)--Torii Hunter, Mike Piazza

MLB Underrated: AJ Pyrzinski, Juan Pierre, Rocco Baldelli

NBA Overrated: Vince Carter, Gary Payton

NBA Underrated: Peja S., Michael Finley, Baron Davis

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Heatley deserved to be in the All-Star game for a reason.

2001-02  Atlanta Thrashers  NHL  82  26  41  67  56  
2002-03  Atlanta Thrashers  NHL  77  41  48  89  58  
2003-04  Atlanta Thrashers  NHL  23  8  12  20  12

Those stats smell over-rated

Former #2 pick and Calder Winner and ya the Hat Trick in All-Star Game getting him MVP. Oh ya he did have the car crash over the summer comes back and has 20 pts already...........I can hear everyone chatting overrated.

Gretzky is the greatest player of all-time. Records that won't be broke ever. He broke all of Howe's records.

Well Heatley is young yet he has a nice career starting and I think he is viewed in teh right prespective as a future star in 5 yeras I think he may be teh biggest star in hockey if he does not get in any more trouble that is.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

sticking with grass fields, ice and the parquet floor this time, the over/under

NHL:

overrated: Lindros. enough said. let's move along.

underrated: David Aebischer...no, he's not Roy. No one is, not even the million Quebecois trying to be him. He is, however, going to be an All-Star, maybe even a Vezina winner, in the near future.

NBA:

overrated: Phil Jackson...yeah, he helped invent the three-peat...then he did it again...then he turned the Kobe-Shaq Lake Show into champs. however, i'm not sure he could do the same thing with, say, the Warriors.

underrated: the Bucks...no, we have no Shaq. we have no T-Mac. Ford is likely out for the rest of the season. However, to be jockeying for playoff position is a hell of a lot more than folks were expecting (last in the East in case anyone forgot)

MLB:

overrated: the effect of the Yankees' spending: i know i don't like it, but there aren't any rules against what they do. a lot of the other owners are just pocketing their money instead of spending to a) win now, or B) develop the farm system. case in point, the Brewers about 10 years ago-the farm system went to plop and is just now starting to recover.

underrated: Sammy Sosa's defensive ability: you may ask why i am putting Sosa on the 'wrong' side of this. the popular thinking is he's got power and that's it. the man can still field well, still got a strong arm and can make the eye-popping catch when called upon. that, and though he doesn't have the speed that made him a 30-30 man around 10 years ago, he's no slouch in getting there.

NFL:

overrated: Brady for the reasons that were posted earlier. but from what i see weekly, Anthony Thomas...the man is running scared half the time he's in. he CAN dominate if he wants to, however, so there's hope yet. I more or less wanna campaign for starting Adrian Peterson or Brock Forsey if AT's still scared.

underrated: tie between Jeff Garcia and Jay Fiedler...it's a tough act to follow a legend, to them it's like Joe Average is hitting the stage after Sinatra. The Niners let Garcia go, and the miami fans have been trying to push Fiedler out the door for one reason: he's not Marino.

an extra: NFL's cushiest job...Packers third string QB-you only play in August, then just exist the rest of the way :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived