The NFL Spring League

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all for the feedback on Birmingham. It was a nice change of pace for the project.

Love the bulldogs look, but I would be shocked if a team in Alabama used the U. of Georgia nickname and mascot. That just would not fly with either Auburn or Bama faithful, which is pretty much everyone.

Probably true, and I hadn't thought of it. Ah well... too late to change, and it's all for fun regardless.

Two more concepts to go--Oklahoma and Columbia. Both still very much in-progress.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I absolutely love that Bulldog logo. With the preponderance of 'Bulldog' sports teams, you have managed to make a completely unique logo. Love the colors, and you definitely captured that regal, classic look with the uniforms.

These designs are so good, I only have nits to pick.

On the Spirits, which I love, by the way, the hawk's eye seems to be just a tad too high for the beak. Maybe bring it down, or actually rotate it down about 20 degrees with the leftmost corner of the eye the pivot point. ... how's that for nitpicky?!

On the Bulldogs, I also think you did a great job, making it look like nobody else's bulldog logo. Nice. The only thing I'm having a bit of trouble with is the top of the collar. It looks like it disappears on top of his neck. Maybe it needs another spike up there? ... One other thing ... the collar looks like it overlaps the dog's ear. Just a bit.

Other than that, kudos for great color combos and very professional looking designs.

On the Bulldogs, I also think you did a great job, making it look like nobody else's bulldog logo. Nice. The only thing I'm having a bit of trouble with is the top of the collar. It looks like it disappears on top of his neck. Maybe it needs another spike up there? ... One other thing ... the collar looks like it overlaps the dog's ear. Just a bit.

You're correct on these points. Right now, the ear is overlapping the collar just barely. You have to look hard to find it, and I should probably exaggerate that more. And the collar is a little funny on the top. I had tried adding a spike up there and changing some of the curves, but couldn't quite get it correct. I'll probably revisit this logo and try to rework those issues when I'm done with the rest of the project.

Ok, so I'm at a bit of an impasse on the Oklahoma concept. I was going with 'Barons' as the nickname, and an oil baron theme. But I kept tweaking it and playing with it, and I couldn't get away from the oil derrick. So, to me, it's way too close to the old Oilers identity. Here's the best I could come up with.

It's ok, but I don't really think it's come together like it should, and it's not up to the level of the other stuff I've created for this project. I tried using an oil pump or a horizon dotted by of lots of derricks, but really nothing was satisfactory. So now I'm gonna start over on the Oklahoma concept. I think I'll go with 'Vultures' for the nickname, because it's different and I've got some sketches for it. But I'd like to hear any input on this Oklahoma situation.

Thanks everyone.

So instead, I would suggest either "Bison", "Wranglers", or maybe even "Stingers".

Thanks for the input. I actually had considered "Bisons," but decided against it. "Stingers" would have been interesting. But it's going to be "Vultures." I'm almost finished and should have it posted soon.

So instead, I would suggest either "Bison", "Wranglers", or maybe even "Stingers".

Thanks for the input. I actually had considered "Bisons," but decided against it. "Stingers" would have been interesting. But it's going to be "Vultures." I'm almost finished and should have it posted soon.

The one name I picked right...that's the name that gets tossed to the side!

I woulda liked to see a whole design off the "Barons" logo...But, then again, it's your series.

bYhYmxh.png

#15: Oklahoma Vultures

Logo.png

The nickname odyssey has been covered well. I went with Vultures because it seemed unique, and they are native to Oklahoma (and many other parts of North America, but I digress). Colors are charcoal gray, bright purple, and gold--all of which are derived from colors on the bird itself.

The logo didn't lend itself to placement on a helmet, so I had two options: use the wings, or modify the logo to make it helmet-friendly. I went with the wings because the vast majority of the helmets in this project have just been team logos, so this was a nice change of pace. The uniforms are fairly simple in terms of design. I think the unique color scheme helps differentiate this identity enough that it can get by with simple uniforms. The Vultures wear charcoal helmets, charcoal jerseys, and gold pants at home. White jerseys and gold pants on the road. Alternate sets with charcoal pants are also included in the set.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Home-Alt.png

Uni-Road-Alt.png

Nice job. I love the identity. You managed to pull off the helmet wing without looking like the Eagles.

Only problem I have is that the shade of charcoal looks more like a faded black than anything. Like the jerseys had been washed and washed and washed.

Maybe if the charcoal was a shade lighter, halfway between black and gray, it'll look more intentional.

You really are great at coming up with unorthodox color schemes. I never would have thought of charcoal, purple and gold, but it looks great. My one nitpick would be that the body of the bird is rather indistinct-- and it also looks as if the front of the body is facing the viewer while the bird wouldn't in the direction it is flying, so it looks slightly awkward. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense--basically, it looks as if the body of the bird is facing the viewer while the head and wings indicate it is flying in a different direction.

Another winner. Are you sure you don't work for the NFL? You should. Your color ideas are better they what they have come up with lately....

The logo is good too. Another "A".

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on the Vultures concept.

Only problem I have is that the shade of charcoal looks more like a faded black than anything. Like the jerseys had been washed and washed and washed.

Maybe if the charcoal was a shade lighter, halfway between black and gray, it'll look more intentional.

I was going with a lighter color, but to my eye it looked more washed out than what I went with. I felt it was far too dull, so I went with a gray closer to black. I think it's just a personal preference.

My one nitpick would be that the body of the bird is rather indistinct-- and it also looks as if the front of the body is facing the viewer while the bird wouldn't in the direction it is flying, so it looks slightly awkward. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense--basically, it looks as if the body of the bird is facing the viewer while the head and wings indicate it is flying in a different direction.

I think this is just where one loses that 3D feeling when translating a reference photograph into a 2D logo. I toyed with highlights and additional strokes to try to make the body 'match' the way the rest of the bird was facing, but every addition I did actually made for a weaker logo, in my opinion. It became too busy and distracting. It's a sacrifice I thought I needed to make for the overall benefit of the logo.

Only one more of these to go... Columbia. And it's going to be a bit odd.

Archived