NHL Trade Deadline

Linus

Caps are in need for another top defenseman and a goalie.

i think im the only Caps fan whose comfortable with Varlamov backing up Theodore going into the playoffs. you arent getting a top defenseman without mortgaging the future and the future is too bright to do that for this year. this team is too young to get impatient now and make a foolish deal, and i dont think McPhee will make a desperate, foolish move, if the right move isnt there, we will stand pat, and to be honest, im comfortable with that.

Isn't Varlamov injured or has he recovered? Besides, Neiverth is starting tonight so he may earn the backup spot heading into the playoffs.

On a second evaluation, this team mirrors the pre-dynastic days of the (not saying that the Caps will win 4 straight cups) Islanders by improving season upon season and gaining experience in the post season and are missing a 'final piece' (or three) to the puzzle.

However, they continue to shoot themselves in the foot by taking mindless penalties and I believe that a well-rounded defensive defenseman might ebb those inconsistencies and also provide a solid back check whenever Green wants to become a winger during his shift.

Varlamov is skating, hes not totally healthy, but i do agree his injuries have to be a concern. but if he gets healthy and comes back and plays well for Hershey, im fine with a platoon backup with him and Neuvirth.

the penalties are a big problem, its the only reason we dont have a top 15 PK unit. i agree with the need of a defenseman, but if we're going to mortgage the future to get him, i dont want him, not right now. not with Morrisonn and Jurcina possibly coming off the books this summer. Alzner is NHL ready right now, Carlson may need a year or 2 in Hershey, but the pipeline keeps pumping out good d prospects. alot of people are down on Jeff Schultz, im not one of those. i appreciate the way he plays defense, could he be a bit more physical? definitely, but i dont see any major holes in his game. if we got Pronger by giving up say Morrisonn, Flash, and a pick i'd do the deal in a heartbeat, but to me, Varlamov, Carlson, and Alzner are untouchables.

What about brining up Collins and/or Sloan or is that a wait till next year approach?

i dont see them as playoff performers. right now our best defensemen are in Washington, with the exception of Alzner, and it looked like even he struggled before being sent down when Poti returned. its not exactly "wait till next year" its more of, we're going to get very far with what we've got right now, we may not win the Cup, but the years not a failure if we dont win it.

what i think i missed on was the penalties, and really what needs to be done is a team leader, Fedorov, Clark (even tho hes injured), needs to step up and say something. these guys know what theyre doing is wrong, and i think what Bruce said to the Post was right, long shifts ultimately doom us. guys like the young guns need to reign in their shifts a bit, when youre tired you take bad penalties. alot of them are effort penalties tho, and you cant really fault a guy for diving at a loose puck, then the guy trips over his stick (which has been called on Semin multiple times) then he goes to the box. they just need to be smarter, and thatll come with experience.

I do believe that the Caps have made leaps and bounds in comparison from last season to this season, they are still a few pieces short of the finished puzzle, but I really love the direction in which this organization is headed and has reinforcements for the future. I agree that a veteran needs to step up in the locker room in order to direct the "young guns" the penalty-free way to play the game. I also agree that even if the Caps do not win the Cup this year, that the season can be considered a success and something to buildup into next season where then it becomes a mission to win the Cup.

Here's hoping that they only take under 5 penalties tonight against the Thrashers.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to see the Jackets pick up another scoring threat, but the Klesla injury killed the best bet. Anyone heard any rumors about a trade involving the Jackets?

They've been pushing to get Tim Connelly but the last I've heard of this was early last week but nothing since and they've been after Matthew Lombardi but the Flames want good defensive depth in return.

Edit:

To Montreal

Doug Janik

To Dallas

Steve Begin

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=268795&lid...s=topStory_main

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Glen Metropolit was claimed off the waivers by the Canadiens.

Link (in French)

Gainey seems to be looking for some insurance players... He might be preparing a big trade.

EDIT: And Ossi Vaananen go to Vancouver off the waivers too.

Link also in French

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Miro Satan placed on waivers, as is Gary Roberts.

Please New Jersey, select Satan off waivers! ^_^

I saw that too, but I could've sworn Satan was playing tonight against Tampa

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Miro Satan placed on waivers, as is Gary Roberts.

Please New Jersey, select Satan off waivers! ^_^

I saw that too, but I could've sworn Satan was playing tonight against Tampa

He was. I thought you couldn't play if you were on waivers?

GCEeffm.png

I know that the Bruins are built to make a decent run in the playoffs as is, but something tells me they need to make a move to shake up the funk they have been in lately. Maybe a puck-moving defenseman is in order?

Hello, my name is Rich and I'm a baseball-holic. And an OOTP-holic.

... and maybe even an alcoholic. Oh no.

I know that the Bruins are built to make a decent run in the playoffs as is, but something tells me they need to make a move to shake up the funk they have been in lately. Maybe a puck-moving defenseman is in order?

I also think the B's could benefit from a shakeup, but I would just die if they traded an up and comer like Kessel in order to make a push for the Cup now. I would much rather see them keep their young talent and have a chance at building a dynasty a few years from now.

Archived