Last 76ers Game at the Spectrum

BB61

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't realize they don't play at the arena formerly know as The Spectrum. I thought it just changed corporate names over time.

So they are really playing a game at a different site to commemorate its closing? That's pretty sweet right there.

Have fun, I'm jealous!

(image of Wachovia Center)

yeah the center and the spectrum are right next too each other, i think the spectrum is in the left corner

That picture was taken facing southeast since you can see the Linc in the background. The Spectrum is north of the Center (so it would be beyond the lower left corner of the picture), then the old Vet site was north of the Spectrum. The Vet site is now a parking lot for Citizens Bank Park, which is east of the lot. To the west of the old Vet site is the NovaCare Complex, the headquarters of the Eagles...

Overhead view

Nope, the Bulls are in their alternate blacks today. Perhaps in mourning for the Spectrum?

Mourning their credibility as a basketball team after shooting 31% and getting lit up by Marcin Gortat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Out-oftowners, here's your aerial to get an idea of the proximity of all these venues.

SDC10061.jpg

Parking lot in upper left is where Veterans Stadium used to be. Spectrum is just below. Wachovia Center is cut off and not seen in full.

Not sure why the Linc's surface is so brown ...

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I meant to post this last night, but I conked out before getting the chance.

Las night was AWESOME. The game was exciting as all hell, if not frustrating due to the lack of rebounding and defense played by the Sixers at times, but they pulled it together at the end and came away with a hard fought and memorable win.

The team welcomed back most of the '83 squad -- The Doctor, Moses, Iavaroni, Mo Cheeks, and a couple of others. Walli Jones was the only member of the '67 team present. No Billy Cunningham, which was a bit of a surprise. PA Announcer Matt Cord summoned the spirit of the late, great Dave Zinkoff to introduce the old timers ("Julius... The Doctah... Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ving!!"), and did a couple of bits with Zink's voice during the course of the game, as well as all of the timeout announcements in the first half ("The Sixahs Call Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-muh!"). The even played the old Sixers song during the intros of the current club ("1 2 3 4 5 Sixers! 10 9 8 76ers!")

The team did a great job of putting it all together. It was truly a throwback evening -- there were no mics on the rims, no echo-effect from the PA, no instant replay (the Spectrum has a matrix only scoreboard that was installed after the big teams moved out in '96), and most of the music was pre-1996 (most of it from the 70's and 80's). It also reminded us that time as a major venue had passed -- a few seats had obstructed views, the concourse was crammed for most of the game, and our section wasn't very well lit. But it was a great experience, and I'm glad I was there.

Here are some pics from the event. I didn't get any good shots of the ceremony, because my camera sucks, and but I did take a few videos including the last 22 seconds of the game. I may or may not post them.

The exterior, as seen from the parking lot that once was the Vet:

P1010256.jpg

What is now the 400 level is only accessible from the top of the 300 level, and wasn't added until a few years after the Spectrum was built in 1967:

P1010259.jpg

They had photos of some of the great players from the Spectrum-era, though Hal Greer was the only one I could get due to the fact that the lone concourse was jammed. They had others -- Bobby Jones, Wilt, and Billy Cunningham to name a few. I think they had to stretch for a couple, because I don't think Hersey Hawkins and Scott Brooks were necessarily "stars":

P1010260.jpg

The Spectrum, for our seats:

P1010272.jpg

Detail of the center court logo:

P1010269.jpg

Detail of the rafters, including the Grateful Dead banner. The Dead will play two last shows at the Spectrum in May, as will Bruce Springsteen:

P1010271.jpg

To be continued...

philly.png

Part Deux!

I was able to go down and get another shot of the arena. It's amazing that it'll be gone in a few months...

P1010278.jpg

Tip-off. This is now my wallpaper...

P1010307.jpg

First half action:

P1010312.jpg

Close up of the scoreboard:

P1010314.jpg

Halftime:

P1010316.jpg

I wasn't able to get a picture of me at the game, if only because it was so crammed and stopping to take a picture was damn near impossible. But I wanted y'all to see my throwback (I've been dying! for y'all to see my throwback), so I had to do so in my apartment. (Side note: Personalized jerseys at the Sixers games are incredibly reasonable -- $55 for the jersey and the lettering. The wordmark is screened, but the lettering is pressed on. Pretty awesome!)

P1010331.jpg

FIN.

philly.png

Are the Flyers playing a regular season game at the Spectrum this year too? Or was the preseason game back in September the only one?

The preseason game against Carolina and against the AHL Phantoms are the only Flyers games at the Spectrum this season.

Out-oftowners, here's your aerial to get an idea of the proximity of all these venues.

SDC10061.jpg

Parking lot in upper left is where Veterans Stadium used to be. Spectrum is just below. Wachovia Center is cut off and not seen in full.

the grounds crew ripped up the sod on the field and going to put fresh ones in the spring

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

someone mentioned the Aud?

http://brnation.d2sector.net/ue/buffalomem...lauditorium.htm

Anyway that's super neat, I went to a handful of games at the Spectrum--Sixers, Flyers, Phantoms, good stuff. What always struck me about the place was it being right next to the Wachovia Center, and seeing the how small it was in comparison. Just a neat contrast of changing times of sports architecture.

Too bad it's being demolished but I guess there really isn't a worthwhile use for it any more. Doubly sucks that the Phantoms are going kaput, they had great rivalries with Hershey and Wilkes-Barre.

1zgyd8w.jpg

someone mentioned the Aud?

http://brnation.d2sector.net/ue/buffalomem...lauditorium.htm

Anyway that's super neat, I went to a handful of games at the Spectrum--Sixers, Flyers, Phantoms, good stuff. What always struck me about the place was it being right next to the Wachovia Center, and seeing the how small it was in comparison. Just a neat contrast of changing times of sports architecture.

Too bad it's being demolished but I guess there really isn't a worthwhile use for it any more. Doubly sucks that the Phantoms are going kaput, they had great rivalries with Hershey and Wilkes-Barre.

Amazing link. Anyway, great job by the Sixers putting all of this together. Too bad the Bulls had to wear their ugly 3rds instead of going throwback...

andysoccer12a.png

SDC10061.jpg

the grounds crew ripped up the sod on the field and going to put fresh ones in the spring

Good, the Eagles turf is terrible in part because it just sucks, but also because Temple tears it up on Saturday...

andysoccer12a.png

Archived