The Australian Football Thread, 2009

BB61

And with Carlton's 83 point smashing of Richmond, the 2009 AFL season is underway. I get just as excited about the start of footy season as I do baseball season. Can't wait to hear Rex and the boys call another great season.

In addition to AFL news and results and stuff, I'd also like to use this thread for USAFL news as well (which will mostly be me posting about Philadelphia Hawks games and whatever else I can get my grubby little mitts on). Besides, there will be several Yanks playing country footy in Western Australia this season, so there should be news aplenty on that front, at least until the season starts up in May.

philly.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm kinda wondering: Will the Aussie Rules League expand anytime soon?

Secondly, it could be fun... If I could watch it here on TV. :(

They're adding a team in the Gold Coast in 2011 and another one in Sydney in 2012.

And you can listen to the games on AFL.com.au, and you can catch the games in full on aussiesport.tv, albeit it's $5/mo and it's on a 12 hour delay.

philly.png

If anyone's interested in torrents, let me know. There's a site where I get my NRL fix from - I'll see if they upload AFL to it, too (most likely they do.)

(And I also get Biggest Loser Australia from there)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Good game today with the Cats holding off the hard charging Hawks in a rematch of last year's Grand Final.

The USAFL season starts this weekend with Nashville hosting Baton Rouge. Then nothing for about a month before another random Mid-American game.

philly.png

Word is OAFL's season isn't starting till after Victoria Day weekend. Canadian National Championships will be held the Saturday and Sunday of Victoria Day weekend.

I'm just glad to be able to go out for a kick and get back into shape after a long winter of hibernation and beer.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

• 1 month later...
Mike Pyke is the first Canadian to play in the AFL.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/spor...5016140,00.html

I actually got to watch the game live online. There was a huge ovation when entered the game. I like Mike Pyke :D

He had a pretty decent game this weekend, and the commentators (at least on SEN) were pretty impressed with him.

philly.png

I can tell ya who I'm impressed with........... St Kilda. 5-0 (I think... or 6-0..... what round are we upto?)

Anyway, I don't wanna get ahead of myself, like all good St Kilda sides, we'll get an injury or two and fall completely off the rails.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I don't think anyone expected the Saints to be 6-0 with percentage around 200 to start the year. The fact that you can get such a high percentage this far into the game is pretty good in and of itself, but with sixteen games left, anything is possible.

Aside from the Saints and the Cats, who look like world beaters again, no other team is really thumping on all cylinders yet. Port has looked decent, aside from that 66 point drubbing by St. Kilda, but if the Saints fall off the map and the Cats are the only really good team left, then we have have a repeat of 2007 with an overmatched opponent for the Cats.

In a related story, I got AFL 2003 from eBay since it was the only AFL PC game I could find. I'm excited.

philly.png

Dude, I couldve sent ya that game for nothing!

Well certainly, with St Kilda, anything is possible.

But there's something about this team, they way they are playing, the coach and the discipline in this team that says that they are different to past Saints sides. Ross Lyon, who I admit, in his first year, seemed a dud, seems to be a better coach than many believed he could be. If we win a flag, sacking Grant Thomas could be the best sacking in this history of the St Kilda Football Club..... and there has been many of them.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Seven games down, and it's the Saints, the Cats... and the field.

St. Kilda is still setting the world on fire with a 208.2 percentage after seven games. The only two clubs that have had a better percentage ([PF / PA] * 100) after seven games are Fitzroy (1900) and Essendon (1911).

philly.png

Seven games down, and it's the Saints, the Cats... and the field.

St. Kilda is still setting the world on fire with a 208.2 percentage after seven games. The only two clubs that have had a better percentage ([PF / PA] * 100) after seven games are Fitzroy (1900) and Essendon (1911).

Oh, great, the Bombers the next.... well, if Geelong and St Kilda hold form... their round 14 (July 5) match will be most anticipated.... to bad I'll be on vacation at that time...

I saw, I came, I left.

Dude, I couldve sent ya that game for nothing!

Well, if Barrish doesn't need it...... :D

I think I remember asking around and I was pretty much told to look on eBay. So I did.

philly.png

• 3 weeks later...

Archived