Las Vegas Aces

ebonin

This is an idea I've had for quite awhile now. Back when the Marlins were talking about relocating, I thought a team based in Las Vegas would be cool. I think the name "Aces" works very well due to it's connection with the card-playing of the city as well as an "ace" of a pitching staff. When I did a search of the forums, I never realized that so many people had already thought of the idea, so I wanted to make mine a little different. My color scheme is black andred for the obvious reason of the colors of the suites in cards. The "ace of spades" is what lead to the spade on the cap. I debated putting an LV interlocked on the cap, but saw that had already been done.

primarylogo.png

The primary logo was the toughest to come up with. I eventually decided on a simple circle with the team name around it. This concept gave me the inspiration.

secondarylogo.png

I wanted the secondary logo to be simple, so it's just the four aces. I've gotta give credit to this, which I slightly modified to get the logo.

scripts.png

Here's a look at the scripts, which took a lot longer to do than I would've liked. :P

homeuniform.png

roaduniform.png

And the uniforms. Pretty self-explanitory.

So there it is. C + C is greatly appreciated. Hope you like it!

ph_407812.jpgNickAdenhart.pngph_458675.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a really nice concept. I like the primary although you could add a baseball behind the spade. The secondary logo looks a little too clipart-ish to me and not like a professional logo. I know that you got it from the internet, that may be why it looks that way. The wordmarks are very nice and I don't see anything to be changed. On the unis I think the cap would look better with maybe a white outline or something to make it pop a little better. You could possibly use an interlocking LV with the spade too. Any alternates or BPs you're gonna work on?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Whoops, forgot to post the alternate.

alternateuniform.png

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll try a BP uniform, and I'll also see what an LV looks like with the spade; sounds like a cool idea. Stitching in the primary could also work, too.

The white helps a ton. Add that, and use the vertical stitching. The uniforms are nice and simple, but I'm not such a fan of the 4 Aces logo as a jersey logo. Also, the cap logo is a little on the bland side. Change the number font, as well. Maybe something more traditional to fit the basic look of the unis and logo? And make the name on back a little bigger. Wow, those seem much more like demands than they were intended to be! Just some honest C&C, I guess...Nice work overall, just change a few things and you're set.

scotland_fifasig.png

Out of those options I would pick the top left, but swap Red and White. It just makes more sense. For C&C though, this isn't doing much for me. I always encounter this same problem. The logo makes sense and says the team name, but it does nothing. This logo would work great if it were 1973(not meant in a bad way, logos were just different back then). I need some motion, something happening, but not so much that it takes away from the idea. I don't know how to explain it, but another dimension is missing to really make it work. It is very static and plain. Again, I'm not making fun of you because I always run into this same problem, I just want somebody to help you get over this hurdle because I am still learning how myself. Things I can try to help with: right now I would say the script is very generic and needs to be switched up. Think about it like this; you can make it look like whatever you want, it doesn't have to be a font. Sketch out some ideas and trace them, or take a photo of a cool script you see scrawled somewhere and trace that. Also, the number font(Copperplate) needs to go. Either use a block athletic font or something that works with the look of the team. Right now the font, especially when used on the name-on-back takes a lot away from the uniform design. Keep working at it and you will get there.

Did you draw the scripts up yourself, or use a font and add a tail?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Solid concept, but I have one minor nitpick. You should use a taller, more condensed font for the nameplates. Although the players you decided on for this concept have short names, you would run into problems with longer names.

I think you should add white but as a very thin outline around the letters & spade in the round logo and around the spade logo on the hat for example. Also like the idea of bringing gold in somehow, that would probably work well.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Did you draw the scripts up yourself, or use a font and add a tail?

I added the tail to a font. I'm still not totally satisfied with how the tail looks.

I whipped this up last night...

lasvegasaceslogo6.png

I still want to add gold to the logo, as well as make the team name white around the circle. I'll also try to think of something more original or exiciting for the secondary. Any ideas?

Top left ball position, but top right for the text and symbols. White ball (since a spade is black on white anyways), red stiching.

Your secondary is nice, but it's basically just the Cornwall/Quebec Aces logo minus the circle around it.

Cornwall_aces_logo.png

Well, I think any "Aces" concept would use the 'hand of aces', I guess you could call it. Plus, in ebonin's concept the hand is folded out (reading top to bottom): spade, diamond, club, heart. While the Cornwall/Quebec Aces logo reads: heart, spade, diamond, club. On top of that, the cards are folded out in a completely different way. I do think that the 'hand of aces' is cliche for any type of gambling or Las Vegas inspired concepts though, but the logo that the Cornwall/Quebec Aces uses looks significantly different than ebonin's.

As for the concept goes: The script does seem a little off, I know you said you weren't completely satisfied. I would maybe change the font so that the 's' is more cursive (the Orioles script is a perfect example). Just an opinion. But if your heart is set on this font I would just play around with it a little, try to make it work, and if you're unhappy with the product, try something different.

As for the logo: it does seem a little plain. It's a great idea, but it just needs something to make it "pop". Maybe a gold outline around the spade as Nole suggested, or something like a different font perhaps. Work with it a little and see what you come up with.

The jerseys look pretty nice. I love the cards logo as the sleeve patch on the home and away. The number and nameplate font is a little different, but I don't see any big problems with it. For the caps I would maybe suggest a white outline around the spade, on both the red and the black hat.

Overall this is a pretty solid concept. Good work.

Archived