Lee.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last time a Canadian Team won the cup

Sidney Crosby was not quite 6 years old

Martin Brodeur just finished a full season in the AHL with Utica

HDTV was a pipe dream

You felt cool with a 26 K Dial up modem and were lucky if you had a 1 Gigdrive, and lots of floppy disks.

If you were on the internet AOL was way cool.

There was just one ESPN and no digital cable

NFL Sunday Ticket did not exist

MLB had just 4 divisions

-- Kurt Cobain was still alive

-- "Jurassic Park" and "Mrs. Doubtfire" were the top movies

-- Quebec, Hartford and Winnipeg still had teams and Anaheim/Florida hadn't started yet

-- The Marlins and Rockies hadn't completed half a season yet

-- the Beverly Hills 90210 kids just graduated high school ^_^

-- Toronto Blue Jays won their second World Series

-- Czechoslovakia dissolved as a nation

-- World Trade Center bombing

-- Great Blizzard in 1993 occurred in the Northeast

-- Waco Siege

-- Chicago Bulls won their third straight championship.

I'm starting to notice that all the Canadian teams lack one thing, that is heart. They are all talented, but they lack the true leader who can take them to the next level. Vancouver proved it by handing the "C" to a goaltender and then getting an old star in Sundin who collected his money and went home. Yeah, yeah, someone will come out with the phrase, "Sundin is tough. Have you seen him in the corners or in the front of the net?" You don't want tough guys, you want clutch guys. Sundin isn't that, and the Canadian teams as a whole lack that, and with Vancouver losing the Sundins it'll make them just a bit better than the Islanders and that's only because they have Luongo who looked average in this series.

What do you call Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr two of the best leaders in the Western Conference if not the whole NHL

Again if the Flames were completely 100% Healthy and ended up winning the NW, the Western Playoff picture would have a different look this evening.

And adding on to events of 1993

-The Buffalo Bills would lose there 3rd consecutive super bowl but they still had one more year of heart break left

-Canada had a Female Prime Minister in Kim Campbell albeit only for 5 months

-Jean Chrétien is elected as Canada's 20th Prime Minister and cleans up Campbell's mess

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Pittsburgh-Washington might be one of the greatest series I've ever seen. If it continues to live up to the hype, Washington will win tonight and send it to game 7.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

Uh oh, lets hope Maz doesn't blame you for jinxing the game. :P

I'm sure he'll put it on the refs.

No, unlike some people *couchcapsfansandfatsbudreaucough* I don't do that.

The officiating was actually very solid today. Not good, never is, but solid. No complaints.

Anyway, this is not good. Not in the least bit. I do not like our chances in Washington in a game 7 they forced.

I'm assuming I could go back a few pages and find something like that.

The most nerve-wracking final two minutes I've watched in a long time. Great game :D

GO CAPS!

You wont. I can confidently say that I have only once complained about the refs here. Two years ago, after the game in which Malkin scored his first goal.

I am also sure I won't go back into other threads and see many posts writing off the team this year AND their new coach. Now you are his biggest fan and act as though you always believed in this team. Seriously, get off your high horse and acting as though Washington is the dirtiest team in the league and that the Penguins are clean and innocent. Give us a break!

Oh for gods sake. Look at the pens' record from December through to the Bylsma change. Better yet, watch how this team played. You would to write them off to. A team dropping like they were playing bad as they were until that late in the season is going to draw negative predictions. Nobody expected the pens to make it to the playoffs.

As for the new coach, he was new and inexperienced. I wasn't confident in his abilities. So what? I cant disapprove of a change? So he surprised me. Pleasantly, at that. Big deal. You cant tell me you've never not liked a guy and ended up liking him in the end. I mean, a guy who goes 25-9-4 in his first 38 games is going to make people like him.

Seriously, a guy cant change his mind?

And not once did I say they were the dirtiest team in the league (Philly is), I just said Ovy is dirty, which a lot of the time he is. And not once have I said the pens are all innocent in this series. Now you're just making :censored: up. I dare you to go back and look all through this thread, and you wont see me say that about the caps once.

Seriously, I don't know what your problem is, but if there's anyone who needs to give it a break, its you.

oBIgzrL.png

What do you call Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr two of the best leaders in the Western Conference if not the whole NHL

Again if the Flames were completely 100% Healthy and ended up winning the NW, the Western Playoff picture would have a different look this evening.

Yeah, and if Kiprusoff didn't fold like a cheap card table in the playoffs, and if they were fast enough and conditioned enough to keep up with the Hawks, and if they could score on the power play, and if they could stop allowing other teams to score on theirs, then you'd really see! If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I did not intend my comment to turn into Canadian bashing.

It was just ment as a tounge-in-cheek comment to our northern brothers who often will forget their team loyalties and root for the last Canadian team in the playoffs, just because they are Canadian. That is all.

Neither was I.

I am just illustrating how long its been, its quite shocking if you think about it.

canada will return to dominance once all these arm climate teams move north

expos.png

Again if the Flames were completely 100% Healthy and ended up winning the NW, the Western Playoff picture would have a

So what you're saying is, they would have been good if they hadn't been so bad? I dunno, I'm calling shenanigans on that one.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm starting to notice that all the Canadian teams lack one thing, that is heart. They are all talented, but they lack the true leader who can take them to the next level. Vancouver proved it by handing the "C" to a goaltender and then getting an old star in Sundin who collected his money and went home. Yeah, yeah, someone will come out with the phrase, "Sundin is tough. Have you seen him in the corners or in the front of the net?" You don't want tough guys, you want clutch guys. Sundin isn't that, and the Canadian teams as a whole lack that, and with Vancouver losing the Sundins it'll make them just a bit better than the Islanders and that's only because they have Luongo who looked average in this series.

Sundin had a goal in each of the final two games, not that clutch though. He worked his ass off the whole time he was here, his decision to join mid season was a bad one and he never had consistently good games. But don't say he just collected his money; he came and tried his hardest to win the Stanley cup. If he was gonna collect his money he would of signed the two 20 million dollar contract. You clearly have not watched the Canucks much this year saying that they'll just be a bit better if the SEDINS leave. You obviously didn't see Luongo post game interview? he was crying, but no heart there.

It's all right for others to criticize your favorite team, you know.

I'm not acting the like the Canucks deserved to win. I said in earlier post that they the Hawks were a better team and that the Nucks were to inconsistent to win. I was defending certain players though something I'm surprised you would take issue with.

Sundin had a goal in each of the final two games, not that clutch though. He worked his ass off the whole time he was here, his decision to join mid season was a bad one and he never had consistently good games. But don't say he just collected his money; he came and tried his hardest to win the Stanley cup. If he was gonna collect his money he would of signed the two 20 million dollar contract. You clearly have not watched the Canucks much this year saying that they'll just be a bit better if the SEDINS leave. You obviously didn't see Luongo post game interview? he was crying, but no heart there.

I'm not acting the like the Canucks deserved to win. I said in earlier post that they the Hawks were a better team and that the Nucks were to inconsistent to win. I was defending certain players though something I'm surprised you would take issue with.

I wasn't so much taking issue with it so much as commenting on the way you chose to do it. No big deal, but you were coming off as a bit of a Canucks apologist.

No harm, no foul, no ill will meant.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I wasn't so much taking issue with it so much as commenting on the way you chose to do it. No big deal, but you were coming off as a bit of a Canucks apologist.

No harm, no foul, no ill will meant.

I just felt oddball's post was very ignorant that's why I posted in the manner that I did.

Again if the Flames were completely 100% Healthy and ended up winning the NW, the Western Playoff picture would have a

So what you're saying is, they would have been good if they hadn't been so bad? I dunno, I'm calling shenanigans on that one.

I know the Flames have probably been the most inconsistent team in the NHL since the lockout, but my point is this team was really clicking just after the All-Star break and the ceiling for this team was unlimited for them, then the rash of injuries happened and it really showed the inconsistency again when the call ups had to fill in and try do Bourque's work, Regehr's work, Giordano's work I think personally there's nothing worse then going out in the first round in 4 consecutive seasons with so much optimism in 2 of the 4 years.

I know the Flames have probably been the most inconsistent team in the NHL since the lockout, but my point is this team was really clicking just after the All-Star break and the ceiling for this team was unlimited for them, then the rash of injuries happened and it really showed the inconsistency again when the call ups had to fill in and try do Bourque's work, Regehr's work, Giordano's work I think personally there's nothing worse then going out in the first round in 4 consecutive seasons with so much optimism in 2 of the 4 years.

So you were expecting consistency in defiance of history and logic? That's not optimism, that's insanity.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So you were expecting consistency in defiance of history and logic? That's not optimism, that's insanity.

With the players we brought in over the summer and the way Kipper coming to camp in top notch shape you know it's alright to show a little grace of optimism in this team and I'm sure you saw it in the Blues and you'll be seeing it for years to come there young and they can only get better.

Many disappointments have left my sporting glass perpetually half empty.

Sorry.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived