NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

I did not intend my comment to turn into Canadian bashing.

It was just ment as a tounge-in-cheek comment to our northern brothers who often will forget their team loyalties and root for the last Canadian team in the playoffs, just because they are Canadian. That is all.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not intend my comment to turn into Canadian bashing.

It was just ment as a tounge-in-cheek comment to our northern brothers who often will forget their team loyalties and root for the last Canadian team in the playoffs, just because they are Canadian. That is all.

Neither was I.

I am just illustrating how long its been, its quite shocking if you think about it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not entirely true. Being bad for a long time doesn't guarantee a turnaround. You still need smart management, and that's what the Blackhawks have had. There's something to be said for turning crap into Patrick Sharp and Kris Versteeg.

Exactly.

Versteeg was a fourth-round pick by Boston who they got for Brandon Bochenski. Sharp was acquired for Matt Ellison. Neither of those moves were supposed to be as high-impact as they've been.

As for the top picks, the Hawks could have whiffed on those instead of taking Toews and Kane or not created an atmosphere for them to succeed.

With some regret, I return my signature to normal.

I thought I was gonna want the Canucks knocked out, but I hate the Hawks with tons of rage. So much so that I'm probably gonna be rooting for the Wings to knock them out. That's a lot of hate.

Arent you sick of the Wings yet?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I thought I was gonna want the Canucks knocked out, but I hate the Hawks with tons of rage. So much so that I'm probably gonna be rooting for the Wings to knock them out. That's a lot of hate.

More than you can imagine. But I hate the Hawks just a little bit more.

I'm starting to notice that all the Canadian teams lack one thing, that is heart. They are all talented, but they lack the true leader who can take them to the next level. Vancouver proved it by handing the "C" to a goaltender and then getting an old star in Sundin who collected his money and went home. Yeah, yeah, someone will come out with the phrase, "Sundin is tough. Have you seen him in the corners or in the front of the net?" You don't want tough guys, you want clutch guys. Sundin isn't that, and the Canadian teams as a whole lack that, and with Vancouver losing the Sundins it'll make them just a bit better than the Islanders and that's only because they have Luongo who looked average in this series.

And for yet another year the Stanley Cup stays where it belongs, in America.

And no matter what, will be hoisted by a majority of Canadians. :P

Woohoo.... I can't wait to hoist the cup.... ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

YES, since 1987!

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'm starting to notice that all the Canadian teams lack one thing, that is heart. They are all talented, but they lack the true leader who can take them to the next level. Vancouver proved it by handing the "C" to a goaltender and then getting an old star in Sundin who collected his money and went home. Yeah, yeah, someone will come out with the phrase, "Sundin is tough. Have you seen him in the corners or in the front of the net?" You don't want tough guys, you want clutch guys. Sundin isn't that, and the Canadian teams as a whole lack that, and with Vancouver losing the Sundins it'll make them just a bit better than the Islanders and that's only because they have Luongo who looked average in this series.

Sundin had a goal in each of the final two games, not that clutch though. He worked his ass off the whole time he was here, his decision to join mid season was a bad one and he never had consistently good games. But don't say he just collected his money; he came and tried his hardest to win the Stanley cup. If he was gonna collect his money he would of signed the two 20 million dollar contract. You clearly have not watched the Canucks much this year saying that they'll just be a bit better if the SEDINS leave. You obviously didn't see Luongo post game interview? he was crying, but no heart there.

Until the canucks get the stupid whale off of their jerseys they'll be stuck doing this stupid crap. :)

I'm proud of these guys for as far as they've gotten, they've committed to the indian and hopefully will endure what will be an incredible challenge in the red wings, if they indeed beat the ducks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Good to see I'm not the only one who wants to see a Blackhawks/Red Wings western conference finals. That's probably what the NHL wants. The ratings would be HUMONGOUS.

Sundin had a goal in each of the final two games, not that clutch though. He worked his ass off the whole time he was here, his decision to join mid season was a bad one and he never had consistently good games. But don't say he just collected his money; he came and tried his hardest to win the Stanley cup. If he was gonna collect his money he would of signed the two 20 million dollar contract. You clearly have not watched the Canucks much this year saying that they'll just be a bit better if the SEDINS leave. You obviously didn't see Luongo post game interview? he was crying, but no heart there.

It's all right for others to criticize your favorite team, you know.

Plain and simple, the Canucks weren't up to the challenge. There were players who disappeared after game 1 of the series, guys who floated in and out at inopportune times, boneheaded plays made by the defense, and Luongo didn't play like Luongo.

Luongo keeps saying how he wants to wait to resign with the Canucks, because he wants to play for a winner, and wants to see how this team goes before making a final decision. Well, Bob, you gotta realize that to play for a winning team, you need to be a part of that winning attitude. You may be a great goalie, and if you want people to keep saying you're one of the top 2 or 3 goalies in the league, you better play like it. There's no excuse to let in 7 goals against any team, especially in the playoffs.

In 6 games, the Canucks scored 19 goals. Going in, anyone would have thought that would be enough to give the Canucks the series, given Luongo's pedigree and reputation. If he's not careful, his reputation going forward is going to be that of, great regular season guy, but folds once the playoff pressure sets in. If he wants to be the guy for Team Canada, or anyone else for that matter, he'd better learn to deal with the hotseat.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The last time a Canadian Team won the cup

Sidney Crosby was not quite 6 years old

Martin Brodeur just finished a full season in the AHL with Utica

HDTV was a pipe dream

You felt cool with a 26 K Dial up modem and were lucky if you had a 1 Gigdrive, and lots of floppy disks.

If you were on the internet AOL was way cool.

There was just one ESPN and no digital cable

NFL Sunday Ticket did not exist

MLB had just 4 divisions

-- Kurt Cobain was still alive

-- "Jurassic Park" and "Mrs. Doubtfire" were the top movies

-- Quebec, Hartford and Winnipeg still had teams and Anaheim/Florida hadn't started yet

-- The Marlins and Rockies hadn't completed half a season yet

-- the Beverly Hills 90210 kids just graduated high school ^_^

Archived