NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar was absolutely disgusting. He shouldve gotten ten. It was knee-on-knee and if you watch the replay, not only did he make no attempt to get away, he drove his knee forward towards Goncahr's. And now a huge part of our team is out. I hated Ovechkin before, but I still had an inkling of respect for him. Now, that is gone.

Then again, it was Ovechkin, so its perfectly ok. He might get a little slap on the wrist.

the angle i saw, it looked like Ovechkin lined him up, Gonchar moved but not enough and Ovie caught him. i truly believe Ovie didnt intentionally hurt him. they are training partners in the summer, no chance he went out there to hurt him. if you watch Ovie hit normally, he widens his stance when he braces for the hit, that explains the "sticking leg out" part of the hit. it didnt look good, but it was definitely not malicious.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Looks like the Bruins are doing their annual swan dive, if only the Devils did not go brain dead in the final 90 seconds ugh. I know they would not be playing the B's but ugh the Canes looking strong.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I may not know more details until later on in the summer, but for now, these are the rumblings. I will bet my left nut on this, I rarely get this stuff wrong!! :P

And if you are wrong... who, exactly, collects?

Brass(Bonanza)97

Hey! That's me! :P

Anyway, I'm not stoked about the Whalers stuff being reproduced again. Because of the following:

1.) The thrill of collecting might be tarnished a little. I don't own, sadly, a blue 90's Whalers jersey. I'd love to, but honestly, I don't. Would love to trade any of my three, green 80's jerseys away for one, but I can't. It's been a couple years since I started really looking for one that's the right size, in good condition and affordable. If I see jerseys like that readily available, it'll kinda kill the excitement I might have when I get a 90's jersey. Not sure if you guys understand.

2.) They were getting everything wrong. The recent Mitchell and Ness hats that were made are the wrong colour combinations. Nowhere in history did the Whalers ever use a logo that had a green 'W' and a white whale tail. Never. Similar to the jerseys that were made for Ron Francis, Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson when they retired their numbers a couple years ago - jerseys were wrong. Miscoloured logo on the crest. I'm hoping the NHL and/or whoever produces the stuff, does their homework and makes accurate looking merchandise.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I may not know more details until later on in the summer, but for now, these are the rumblings. I will bet my left nut on this, I rarely get this stuff wrong!! :P

Brass(Bonanza)97

Anyway, I'm not stoked about the Whalers stuff being reproduced again. Because of the following:

1.) The thrill of collecting might be tarnished a little. I don't own, sadly, a blue 90's Whalers jersey. I'd love to, but honestly, I don't. Would love to trade any of my three, green 80's jerseys away for one, but I can't. It's been a couple years since I started really looking for one that's the right size, in good condition and affordable. If I see jerseys like that readily available, it'll kinda kill the excitement I might have when I get a 90's jersey. Not sure if you guys understand.

2.) They were getting everything wrong. The recent Mitchell and Ness hats that were made are the wrong colour combinations. Nowhere in history did the Whalers ever use a logo that had a green 'W' and a white whale tail. Never. Similar to the jerseys that were made for Ron Francis, Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson when they retired their numbers a couple years ago - jerseys were wrong. Miscoloured logo on the crest. I'm hoping the NHL and/or whoever produces the stuff, does their homework and makes accurate looking merchandise.

Every other official reproduction the NHL has commissioned has turned out pretty well - look at the Rockies, Scouts, Seals, etc. They know what they are doing and I believe they will turn out better products than they have through the Retro Brand label. I have some feeling that they weren't allowed to fully reproduce the image and that is why they have been inaccurate up until now. Only time will tell I guess.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I'm really starting to think that the Caps are getting the screws NBA-style from the refs.

We'll officially know that during the scenario that if they are leading Game 6 yet lose and Pittsburgh manages to win Game 7.

Brass(Bonanza)97

Every other official reproduction the NHL has commissioned has turned out pretty well - look at the Rockies, Scouts, Seals, etc. They know what they are doing and I believe they will turn out better products than they have through the Retro Brand label. I have some feeling that they weren't allowed to fully reproduce the image and that is why they have been inaccurate up until now. Only time will tell I guess.

That's what I'm hoping. Most of the uniforms I've seen from past teams are incredible, so I really hope they continue the streak for the Whalers. If you guys wanna see really laughable, bootleg Whalers jerseys, just search for "Hartford Whalers Jersey" on eBay. Some of them are really bad!

what the hell is ccslc?

Brass(Bonanza)97

3. The freaking Whalers are kicking our asses. :wacko:

Brass(Bonanza)97

3. The freaking Whalers are kicking our asses. :wacko:

Wish they could have done it while in Hartford! Probably would of helped them stay in town if they beat the Bruins here and there in the playoffs.

what the hell is ccslc?

Seriously, why would Ovechkin want to take out a fellow Russian (and Im guessing a mentor because Gonchar seems like the guy who would help the younger guys like Ovechkin) and risk his own well being by trying a knee on knee? I stood up for Crosby earlier in this thread and now Im sticking up for Ovechkin, you can clearly see in the replay that he has his shoulder leaning forward and Gonchar dodges the hit which leads to the knee on knee.

Maz, I cant even believe that you wrote that. Disgusting? Should have gotten ten? Wow...clearly a fan who cant see past his own team.

Ovechkin did nothing wrong, the attempted hit wasnt dirty, it was Gonchars attempt to dodge it that resulted in the knee on knee.

beLEAF

"Fellow Russian"? Ovechkin hates Malkin's guts, don't let that BS at the ASG fool you. Nationality doesn't matter. He's not going to give Gonchar or Malkin or anyone a pass.

I don't think Ovechkin was thinking "yeah let's hurt this guy". The problem was he wasn't thinking at all. He plays the game with reckless abandon and no respect for anyone, even himself.

Boucher likely plays tomorrow since Goligoski played tonight in Wilkes-Barre, and I highly doubt they'd drive him overnight to DC. I don't see that as a big deal though. The power play has sucked both with and without Gonchar.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Maz, I cant even believe that you wrote that. Disgusting? Should have gotten ten? Wow...clearly a fan who cant see past his own team.

He made a knee-on-knee hit and made no attempt to prevent it, but rather, if you watch the replay, he moved his knee forward towards Gonchar's knee. Not only that, but you can also see he changes his direction to the right so that he would get Gonchar whether he tried to avoid it or not.

That is clearly kneeing, which is penalized with a ten minute misconduct.

Ovy got a pass because hes Ovy. If anyone had done this to anyone else on any other team, id say the same thing. Its time the NHL penalizes by what happens, and not who did it.

oBIgzrL.png

He made a knee-on-knee hit and made no attempt to prevent it, but rather, if you watch the replay, he moved his knee forward towards Gonchar's knee. Not only that, but you can also see he changes his direction to the right so that he would get Gonchar whether he tried to avoid it or not.

Ovy got a pass because hes Ovy. If anyone had done this to anyone else on any other team, id say the same thing. Its time the NHL penalizes by what happens, and not who did it.

You actually believe he intended to go knee on knee with the guy? WOW!

His stance does not move throughout the entire sequence, the only thing that moves is Ovechkin's shoulder which he was trying to use to check Gonchar.

1zqy8ok.gif

You actually believe he intended to go knee on knee with the guy? WOW!

His stance does not move throughout the entire sequence, the only thing that moves is Ovechkin's shoulder which he was trying to use to check Gonchar.

It would not surprise me if he did. Ovechkin does nothing to make me believe otherwise. And while that hit may not have been an intentional knee, It looks like one, and should have been called as one. If someone who wasn't one of the "big three" had done it, it would have been.

This is more an issue of double standards in officiating than it is that actual hit, seemingly dirty as it was.

In other news: Pens do call up Goligoski. Good move. He did great here before Gonchar came back. Id have him rather than Boucher, who just hasn't fit in with the team every time he's played.

oBIgzrL.png

Keep telling yourself that.

You do know that a knee on knee could be fatal for him as well?

K, Im not even going to bother arguing anymore since you cant see past anything that isnt in a Pens uniform.

beLEAF

"Fellow Russian"? Ovechkin hates Malkin's guts, don't let that BS at the ASG fool you. Nationality doesn't matter. He's not going to give Gonchar or Malkin or anyone a pass.

I don't think Ovechkin was thinking "yeah let's hurt this guy". The problem was he wasn't thinking at all. He plays the game with reckless abandon and no respect for anyone, even himself.

Boucher likely plays tomorrow since Goligoski played tonight in Wilkes-Barre, and I highly doubt they'd drive him overnight to DC. I don't see that as a big deal though. The power play has sucked both with and without Gonchar.

You must follow hockey alot eh?

Seeing as how Kovalchuk cleared the air between Ovechkin and Malkin during the All Star weekend. The three went out for dinner and everything is fine between them.

beLEAF

I love Ovechkin and I think he's the most talented player in the league, but he's a dirty hitter; He jumps when he hits, he hits with his hands and not his shoulder plus he likes to use his elbows. If Ovechkin didn't hit him with his knee but his shoulder it still should of been charging.

Archived