NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

.......here we go again.

And really, playing against a powerplay like ours, you are actually benefiting from going on the pk.

The pens have the caps figured out. Keep out of the box, get as many shots on net as possible, shoot high, keep possession and force turnovers, shoot, contain Ovy, and shoot high.

With the renewed confidence from a win, and the absolute insanity that the crowd in the Igloo will be Tomorrow, I see this series being tied tomorrow. If the pens play like they did in the 2nd and 3rd period last night for all of the rest of the games in this series, they will win. The Caps and Varlamov can only withstand so much. Theres no way Varly holds the pens to just 3 goals again if they keep getting around 43 shots on him. He is still a rookie. He gets way out of position, and half the time he doesn't know where the puck is after its shot (see also, his looking around so much after every save), not to mention rebound control and puck handling troubles that are as bad if not worse than Fleury's.

yes, because we can score on the pk and sustain pressure on your goalie. c'mon. just cause our pk is playing well, doesnt mean we dont need our grinders to play effective 5 on 5 minutes. keeping out of the box is easy when youve got the refs calling every ticky tack penalty on us. run over Varly! cross check him in the head! no penalty, little whack on Malkins calf, 2 minutes for slashing! see the double standard?

btw, i am in no way blaming the officiating for us playing like total ass during that game. we seemed content with a 2 game lead for some reason. the Caps need to develop a killer instinct and play hard all the time. Varly was the only reason we were in that game last night, and you can say hes got flaws all you want, what have you done? won 1 game while he stopped 39 shots? give the kid some credit, he has held in check a very potent Pittsburgh offense with very little help keeping shots away. he has stepped out very well, rebounded after goals scored, and is so athletic, rebound control and puck handling will come as he matures as a goaltender. he may have problems in those areas, but he is still schooling your ass, and if he continues to play this way, this series will be shorter than you think.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.......here we go again.

And really, playing against a powerplay like ours, you are actually benefiting from going on the pk.

The pens have the caps figured out. Keep out of the box, get as many shots on net as possible, shoot high, keep possession and force turnovers, shoot, contain Ovy, and shoot high.

With the renewed confidence from a win, and the absolute insanity that the crowd in the Igloo will be Tomorrow, I see this series being tied tomorrow. If the pens play like they did in the 2nd and 3rd period last night for all of the rest of the games in this series, they will win. The Caps and Varlamov can only withstand so much. Theres no way Varly holds the pens to just 3 goals again if they keep getting around 43 shots on him. He is still a rookie. He gets way out of position, and half the time he doesn't know where the puck is after its shot (see also, his looking around so much after every save), not to mention rebound control and puck handling troubles that are as bad if not worse than Fleury's.

yes, because we can score on the pk and sustain pressure on your goalie. c'mon. just cause our pk is playing well, doesnt mean we dont need our grinders to play effective 5 on 5 minutes. keeping out of the box is easy when youve got the refs calling every ticky tack penalty on us. run over Varly! cross check him in the head! no penalty, little whack on Malkins calf, 2 minutes for slashing! see the double standard?

btw, i am in no way blaming the officiating for us playing like total ass during that game. we seemed content with a 2 game lead for some reason. the Caps need to develop a killer instinct and play hard all the time. Varly was the only reason we were in that game last night, and you can say hes got flaws all you want, what have you done? won 1 game while he stopped 39 shots? give the kid some credit, he has held in check a very potent Pittsburgh offense with very little help keeping shots away. he has stepped out very well, rebounded after goals scored, and is so athletic, rebound control and puck handling will come as he matures as a goaltender. he may have problems in those areas, but he is still schooling your ass, and if he continues to play this way, this series will be shorter than you think.

Schooling us? Seriously? Just watch the kid. He looks so lost when he loses sight of the puck. He gets so far out of position. He falls down.

Yeah, if he keeps playing this way, it will be shorter than I think. And it will be in our favor.

There were a bunch of saves I remember him making where he didn't even know where the puck was. The pens were making him look good in the first two games by either not shooting at him, making bad shots, or shooting at the wrong time. The majority of the pens' huge missed chances were actually stifled by a defender clearing the puck or not getting a shot away in time or missing an open net, than it was Varlamov making a big save. Sure, Varly has made alot of saves. Dont get me wrong. He makes the saves that need to be made, but he has also been very lucky, especially on his biggest saves such as the one on Crosby in game one, or when Dupuis took three years to shoot the puck at the wide open net that one time in the third period last night. On either of those, if the shooter gets all of the shot and/or shoot early enough, its a goal. Most of the time he makes a big save because he's put himself in the position so that he has to make a big save.

If the pens keep up this play, and the caps and Varlamov keep up their play, Varly will not last much longer and neither will the Caps. All the pens need is to quickly get a few legit goals by him early in a game to plant the seeds of doubt, and he once again becomes what he is, a rookie goalie in the NHL Playoffs.

Believe me, Ive watched Fleury, who is a pretty similar goalie, for the past six years.

And as far as officiating is concerned, we have had plenty not called our way to. And our fair share of crap penalites. How about that interference call on Dupuis late in the third last night that lead to the caps tying it up? Id like to see the interference there, especially when all that happened on that tilt was Malkin had the puck and was burning your guys the whole way down the ice. Maybe the caps are...i dunno... actually playing undisciplined? Nah, of course not. Has to be the refs' fault. For people who talk about Crosby whining about the refs a lot, caps fans are looking kinda hypocritical right now.

And nobody "Ran over Varly". So there were some pileups in the net. It happens. Its the playoffs. We haven't scored on any of those occasions anyway. And I say again, its not even the fact that our pk is good now, its also that our powerplay is so bad, that makes us lose momentum when were on the powerplay. We have scored on two powerplays in this series, and they were both on legit calls. Those "tick tacky" calls you're talking about, you guys had the puck far more than we did.

oBIgzrL.png

.......here we go again.

Schooling us? Seriously? Just watch the kid. He looks so lost when he loses sight of the puck. He gets so far out of position. He falls down.

Yeah, if he keeps playing this way, it will be shorter than I think. And it will be in our favor.

There were a bunch of saves I remember him making where he didn't even know where the puck was. The pens were making him look good in the first two games by either not shooting at him, making bad shots, or shooting at the wrong time. The majority of the pens' huge missed chances were actually stifled by a defender clearing the puck or not getting a shot away in time or missing an open net, than it was Varlamov making a big save. Sure, Varly has made alot of saves. Dont get me wrong. He makes the saves that need to be made, but he has also been very lucky, especially on his biggest saves such as the one on Crosby in game one, or when Dupuis took three years to shoot the puck at the wide open net that one time in the third period last night. On either of those, if the shooter gets all of the shot and/or shoot early enough, its a goal. Most of the time he makes a big save because he's put himself in the position so that he has to make a big save.

If the pens keep up this play, and the caps and Varlamov keep up their play, Varly will not last much longer and neither will the Caps. All the pens need is to quickly get a few legit goals by him early in a game to plant the seeds of doubt, and he once again becomes what he is, a rookie goalie in the NHL Playoffs.

Believe me, Ive watched Fleury, who is a pretty similar goalie, for the past six years.

And as far as officiating is concerned, we have had plenty not called our way to. And our fair share of crap penalites. How about that interference call on Dupuis late in the third last night that lead to the caps tying it up? Id like to see the interference there, especially when all that happened on that tilt was Malkin had the puck and was burning your guys the whole way down the ice. Maybe the caps are...i dunno... actually playing undisciplined? Nah, of course not. Has to be the refs' fault. For people who talk about Crosby whining about the refs a lot, caps fans are looking kinda hypocritical right now.

And nobody "Ran over Varly". So there were some pileups in the net. It happens. Its the playoffs. We haven't scored on any of those occasions anyway. And I say again, its not even the fact that our pk is good now, its also that our powerplay is so bad, that makes us lose momentum when were on the powerplay. We have scored on two powerplays in this series, and they were both on legit calls. Those "tick tacky" calls you're talking about, you guys had the puck far more than we did.

once again you dont seem to understand, even though your powerplay sucks, it takes away from our attack time. ticky tack calls hurt us still. as Boudreau said, maybe we deserved those penalties, but the Penguins deserved a helluva lot more than they got.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Why did the NHL schedule the awards so early into June?

Why does the season have to go so damn long? Start on October 1st and tighten things up so we can be done with this before June, if at all possible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And Chicago with the comeback win. That's a momentum changer.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Really? Chicago scored? I couldn't tell. I'm 20 minutes west of the Honda Center and it's 8:10 and I saw the end of the Chicago game and then it blacked out for half an hour! Not only did Versus screw up by skipping overtime in Anaheim and Detroit, give a backup channel to those who want to watch the Ducks-Detroit start and let the ones who were watching and care about Chicago-Vancouver watch on the main channel. Not only did I miss the OT game winning goal, I also missed two goals by the Ducks and Red Wings. Holy Frickin' Cow!!!

The Vancouver/Chigago series should go to 7 games. In this series, it's hard to point out a clear favorite. I'll say Vancouver takes it because Luongo will finish the series with a dominating performance.

Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar was absolutely disgusting. He shouldve gotten ten. It was knee-on-knee and if you watch the replay, not only did he make no attempt to get away, he drove his knee forward towards Goncahr's. And now a huge part of our team is out. I hated Ovechkin before, but I still had an inkling of respect for him. Now, that is gone.

Then again, it was Ovechkin, so its perfectly ok. He might get a little slap on the wrist.

oBIgzrL.png

Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar was absolutely disgusting. He shouldve gotten ten. It was knee-on-knee and if you watch the replay, not only did he make no attempt to get away, he drove his knee forward towards Goncahr's. And now a huge part of our team is out. I hated Ovechkin before, but I still had an inkling of respect for him. Now, that is gone.

Then again, it was Ovechkin, so its perfectly ok. He might get a little slap on the wrist.

I believe they call that the Red Wing treatment.

The last time I can recall a Wing having a suspension for an on ice incided was Jiri Fischer's blatant cross check to the face in the '02 Finals. There have been MANY (I'm not saying dozens and dozens but more than a handful) incidents where action could have been taken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHj_uT2Fj1A

"A blatant cross check that nobody saw"

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived