NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

Well, the pens have as good a chance as ever to make up for coming up short in the first two games, and the obligatory Crosby mud slinging.

A win tonight, and this series has only begun. A loss, and its over.

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why couldn't Hossa's goal be reviewed?

Because that situation is not reviewable. The ref lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle like he was supposed to. Its pretty black and white. It is unfortunate, but not a screw job or an incorrect call.

What if the ref didn't blow the whistle and the goal went in and Hiller talked to the ref and the ref said, I couldn't see the puck but I knew it was there somewhere. <-- That would be the incorrect call.

The wings are on the short end on this one, but the ref did what he was supposed to do.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Why couldn't Hossa's goal be reviewed?

Because that situation is not reviewable. The ref lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle like he was supposed to. Its pretty black and white. It is unfortunate, but not a screw job or an incorrect call.

What if the ref didn't blow the whistle and the goal went in and Hiller talked to the ref and the ref said, I couldn't see the puck but I knew it was there somewhere. <-- That would be the incorrect call.

The wings are on the short end on this one, but the ref did what he was supposed to do.

-Dan

The ref did not blow the whistle, it's a 100% BS call and there is no way anyone has any defense of it. It's total BS and the rule needs to change. You play the game until the whistle or the horn sounds, not until the process of either is about to happen. This rule is as BS as the NFL tuck rule with the Patriots and everyone knows it. That would be like a guy walking up to a girl and saying, "I was going to ask her to the prom, but you asked her first. So since I was going to ask her, she's going with me." Sorry, it doesn't work that way, either you ask the girl or you don't and if someone gets there before you do, you're not gonna get screwed after the prom. Same thing with the blowing the whistle, either the ref did or he didn't and clearly that puck was in the back of the net for a clear second, so that is total BS and that ref and Gary Bettman both need to be fired because of it. It's a total BS call and I don't want to hear the whining Duck fans cry about how the refs always call penalties on them when the clearly take penalties. I was surprised on the Ducks broadcast of the game to hear the grand whining cry-baby himself, Brian Heyward say, "I didn't hear anything. I don't know what the Red Wings are complaining about." If you think that Crosby is the biggest whiner in the game of hockey, watch the Ducks broadcasts and listen to the big baby, Brian Heyward who never sees a Ducks penalty but thinks anytime an opposing player makes contact with a Ducks player that it's a penalty.

Sorry you don't like the rule but the ref was correct.

Its as simple as this: Lose sight of the puck...blow the whistle.

There are some definates in hockey.

Puck over the glass in the d zone without touching glass... Penalty

High stick and draw blood... Double Major

It was an unfortunate call for the Wings but like it or not, the ref did what he was supposed to do.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Sorry you don't like the rule but the ref was correct.

Its as simple as this: Lose sight of the puck...blow the whistle.

There are some definates in hockey.

Puck over the glass in the d zone without touching glass... Penalty

High stick and draw blood... Double Major

It was an unfortunate call for the Wings but like it or not, the ref did what he was supposed to do.

-Dan

I'm actually not questioning the whistle per say, as I understand the referee has to blow the whistle if he doesn't see the puck anymore. Now it seems the puck was in the net prior to the whistle.

I'm wondering if the location of the puck at the whistle can be reviewed. I mean, this is the playoffs, shouldn't they have taken time to make sure that the play was stopped before or after the puck went in?

I heard people say that upon the intent of whistling, the play should be dead. Now as a player, I will play until I hear a whistle. This call would be totally subjective to the referee's point of view, wouldn't it?

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

What a win, what a win.

Love how they stepped it up in the second. Especially Geno, Feds, Satan, Kennedy, Talbot. We got scoring from different guys and contributions from everyone.

The pens amassed over 40 shots on Varly tonight. If they can play like they did for the last 2/3rds of tonights game Friday, we'll have a tied series. We just need to get a ton of shots, and some goals by him. Plant the seeds of doubt, and watch our comeback grow.

And how 'bout Letang. He was having an awful night. Nothing went his way, he couldnt handle anything, his shots were all either getting blocked or stopped by Varlamov, then what do you know, he goes and scores the game winner and pretty much saves himself from sitting out in favor of Boucher Friday. He needed a boost in confidence, and what better way to do that than with a game winner?

Most of all, the pens contained Ovechkin, save for the blooper-reel :censored: goal Fleury handed to him.

Friday, it becomes a new series.

oBIgzrL.png

It just occured to me that if at least one of the current series goes 7 games and then one of the Conference Finals goes 6 or 7 games, the Stanley Cup final will not begin until June 1st at the earliest, meaning that Game 7 would be June 15th, AFTER the NHL Awards!

Why did the NHL schedule the awards so early into June?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Heads up to those who own and sell old Whalers jerseys, I'd suggest selling that stuff now while the market still exists for them. Their value is about to plummet faster than our current economy!! That is all I will say for now.

Cough once if the NHL has finally secured a deal to produce and sell new ones.

Cough twice if through some bizarrely insane and utterly Rube Goldbergian series of events Hartford is getting the Coyotes.

Cough three times if the jerseys are going to be CCMs, or cough four times if it's going to follow the trend of recent Whalers merch, and be the $300+ Mitchell & Ness throwbacks.

Also, if you feel compelled to cough twice, please do so now. I don't think I can handle that kind of absolutely bonkers news while I'm at work.

Sorry for the wait, I had a long, long day.

All I had learned was the NHL was going to be producing Whalers merchandise come september ranging from jerseys to other random products. It sounded like the NHL had secured the rights, which would make SOME sense given that Retro Brand, one of the companies currently producing Whalers apparel, is owned by Reebok. Unfortunately, I cannot remember whether the NHL or Reebok secured the rights.

I am willing to guess that whatever jerseys they decide to make will be produced under the CCM brand along side the other vintage jerseys. Everything that will be coming out is going to be from Reebok.

I may not know more details until later on in the summer, but for now, these are the rumblings. I will bet my left nut on this, I rarely get this stuff wrong!! :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I may not know more details until later on in the summer, but for now, these are the rumblings. I will bet my left nut on this, I rarely get this stuff wrong!! :P

And if you are wrong... who, exactly, collects?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Brass(Bonanza)97

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I won't be wrong. :P

I'm sure letterform could back me up on this (I believe it is letterform who is the one that works in the shop somewhere in Edmonton) because he'd hear the same info that I have.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Lord knows I hate Pittsburgh, but last night I was rooting for them to win that game. This is my third year on this college campus and this is the first time that I've walked around in hockey jerseys and people are willing and eager to talk about playoff hockey. It's because of the Blue Jackets and it's because of this Penguins-Capitals series. People are actually talking about the NHL here and the conversation isn't "something cool is actually happening in hockey for once" the conversation is actually about the game. For the health of the NHL, we need this series to go to 7 games, but hopefully Washington wins.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Lord knows I hate Pittsburgh, but last night I was rooting for them to win that game. This is my third year on this college campus and this is the first time that I've walked around in hockey jerseys and people are willing and eager to talk about playoff hockey. It's because of the Blue Jackets and it's because of this Penguins-Capitals series. People are actually talking about the NHL here and the conversation isn't "something cool is actually happening in hockey for once" the conversation is actually about the game. For the health of the NHL, we need this series to go to 7 games, but hopefully Washington wins.

so thats why the officiating is so one sided. ive been loathe to complain about it since we won the first 2 games but last night took the damn cake.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

.......here we go again.

And really, playing against a powerplay like ours, you are actually benefiting from going on the pk.

The pens have the caps figured out. Keep out of the box, get as many shots on net as possible, shoot high, keep possession and force turnovers, shoot, contain Ovy, and shoot high.

With the renewed confidence from a win, and the absolute insanity that the crowd in the Igloo will be Tomorrow, I see this series being tied tomorrow. If the pens play like they did in the 2nd and 3rd period last night for all of the rest of the games in this series, they will win. The Caps and Varlamov can only withstand so much. Theres no way Varly holds the pens to just 3 goals again if they keep getting around 43 shots on him. He is still a rookie. He gets way out of position, and half the time he doesn't know where the puck is after its shot (see also, his looking around so much after every save), not to mention rebound control and puck handling troubles that are as bad if not worse than Fleury's.

oBIgzrL.png

.......here we go again.

And really, playing against a powerplay like ours, you are actually benefiting from going on the pk.

The pens have the caps figured out. Keep out of the box, get as many shots on net as possible, shoot high, keep possession and force turnovers, shoot, contain Ovy, and shoot high.

With the renewed confidence from a win, and the absolute insanity that the crowd in the Igloo will be Tomorrow, I see this series being tied tomorrow. If the pens play like they did in the 2nd and 3rd period last night for all of the rest of the games in this series, they will win. The Caps and Varlamov can only withstand so much. Theres no way Varly holds the pens to just 3 goals again if they keep getting around 43 shots on him. He is still a rookie. He gets way out of position, and half the time he doesn't know where the puck is after its shot (see also, his looking around so much after every save), not to mention rebound control and puck handling troubles that are as bad if not worse than Fleury's.

So, basically, everything will be the opposite of what you've just said.... :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Big game four out west tonight!!!

Its either 2-2 or 3-1 Ducks!

Even if Detroit goes down 3 games to 1, I'm definitely not counting them out (like we all did the Sharks last week. :rolleyes:)

6uXNWAo.png

Archived