NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

I love Ovechkin and I think he's the most talented player in the league, but he's a dirty hitter; He jumps when he hits, he hits with his hands and not his shoulder plus he likes to use his elbows. If Ovechkin didn't hit him with his knee but his shoulder it still should of been charging.

I didn't see a charge he was going after the puck his legs were in a wide stance and he attempted to hit him with his shoulder.

Hi, how are you?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Canucks, if you get a 1-0 lead today, please don't go into a passive defensive shell again.

Oh, and I like Ovechkin, but I think thats at the least a dubious hit. Its not Pavel Bure's flying elblow to Shane Churla's head or anything, but I think there's room to question it.

Keep telling yourself that.

You do know that a knee on knee could be fatal for him as well?

K, Im not even going to bother arguing anymore since you cant see past anything that isnt in a Pens uniform.

Yes. I can.

It was a questionable hit at best, and that's been said by more than just myself. The evidence is there, and Ovechkin has not given anyone reason to believe otherwise. He is a dirty hitter.

If you actually read my post, I said that I don't even care who it was that he hit, it was that the evidence is there that it was a sketchy looking hit, and that its not fair he wasn't given more than 2 just because he is who he is. If, for example, Rick Nash or someone else did this to, say, Nicklas Lidstrom, and he got only two for it, id say the same thing, even though I hate the Redwings. Its not a matter of me "not seeing anything past a pens uniform" at all.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does Not mean they're being a homer, and just because you're criticizing another team's star player does Not mean you're jealous.

I really wish people around here would learn that.

In any case, good win by the pens tonight. I don't like the fact that we scored a few seconds after a non-call, but I'll take it.

oBIgzrL.png

The Blackhawks are headed back to Chicago with a chance to clinch a trip to the Western Conference Final.

Classy move by Vancouver fans, throwing trash onto the ice on two occasions as if they got somehow screwed out of a win. Idiots.

6uXNWAo.png

The Blackhawks are headed back to Chicago with a chance to clinch a trip to the Western Conference Final.

Classy move by Vancouver fans, throwing trash onto the ice on two occasions as if they got somehow screwed out of a win. Idiots.

That was embarrassing but don't judge the whole fan base on some pissed off drunks. The Canuck have been so frustrating to watch this series. They're are periods where there dominating the Hawks winning the battles and performing the cycle well. But more often than not they can't capitalize on the few chances they have and Luongo has to stand on his head. They play great on the pk throughout the series then make bonehead clearing attempts tonight. The only thing they have constantly been able to do well is prevent Luongo from being roughed up after the whistle. There's no doubt the the Hawks are the more talented team and deeper team. The Canucks need to be the more fundamental and disciplined team and so far they haven't been able to do that for the 60 minutes.

I've watched as much of the Hawks series as possible, and I've never thought they were clearly better than the Canucks. Nothing comes easy for the Hawks, but God bless 'em.

It's mindboggling to think about where that franchise was two years ago and where it is now.

I've watched as much of the Hawks series as possible, and I've never thought they were clearly better than the Canucks. Nothing comes easy for the Hawks, but God bless 'em.

It's mindboggling to think about where that franchise was two years ago and where it is now.

2 years ago = no fans.

Now = mostly bandwagon fans.

It is crazy!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I think this may have been more a comment by the fans on the play of the Canucks. I know they made me want to throw something.

I mean, Ryan Kesler, Selke nominee committed two brutal defensive zone give aways within about two minutes.

2 years ago = no fans.

It is crazy!!

Oh, you so don't live here.

While any successful team will have its share of bandwagon jumpers, for about a dozen years, there has been a large group of Blackhawks fans who simply refused to support the team. The widespread mindset was that it made no sense to keep lining Dollar Bill's pockets when all he was doing was trading away captains, signing Boris Mironov, and jacking up prices. Once the old man bit it and Rocky came in, immediately taking very public measures to change the whole climate of the franchise, the dormant Hawks fans realized it would be okay to root for the team again, because the team was finally giving them something to root for. When you watch a game at the United Center and see 22,000+ packing the joint, realize that more than 90% of those fans have been around all along - they just needed a reason to show up.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Canucks are playing a team that can score and can out play any team on any night these aren't the Blues, I underestimated the Hawks when they played the Flames calling them inexperienced and weak and they are bringing the body night in and night out they are really showing that they are a true cup contender.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

2 years ago = no fans.

It is crazy!!

There are a bunch of bandwagon fans. But from what I can tell, they seem like kids my age (in high school.) These are people that grew up seeing one playoff appearence, that's if they can remember back 7 years ago, I hardly can. And up until last year, nobody could see a home game on TV. There aren't that many people that are willing to follow half a team's games on the radio. I think that these current "bandwagon" fans are here to stay. A lot of people disregarded hockey because they had never watched. I've convinced a few of my friends that made fun of hockey earlier in the year to watch a game and play street hockey and now they actually like the sport.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yeah, I'm guessing that it's pretty hard to follow the team when they didn't show home games locally, were extremely uncompetitive, and arguably had the worst management in all of the big 4 pro leagues. At one point, IIRC, the Chicago Wolves (the freakin' AHL team!) were getting better attendance than the 'Hawks. Those three things are basically a recipe for fan repellent.

I kind of resent anybody saying Hawks fans are a bunch of fairweather or frontrunner fans. Dollar Bill Wirtz did everything he could to repel fans.

The arena experience was lame, home games weren't on TV, there was a revolving door of coaches and executives, Bob Pulford was the main decision maker, popular announcer Pat Foley wasn't brought back, Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull and other legends weren't embraced, home games weren't on TV, stars were shown the door, the owner once said winning a Stanley Cup was too expensive, and most importantly, home games weren't on TV.

As Sodboy said, there have always been a lot of Hawks fans. We just stayed away because we were treated like garbage. It was always known in Chicago that if we were given any reason to come back, we would. And we certainly have been.

I find it funny that this was started by a Leafs fan. Maybe if Leafs fans didn't blindly throw their money at MLSE they wouldn't have to watch a consistently mediocre product and actually cause their team to change for the better. We Hawks fans spoke with our wallets and stayed away, and then got lucky that when Rocky Wirtz took over that he knew he had to change everything to get fans back.

But no, there will be 19,000-plus at the ACC every night next year as the Leafs slog along in 10th in the East once again, with the MLSE guys counting their cash.

2 years ago = no fans.

It is crazy!!

Funny, I've also heard that it's just the same 23,000 people going to the games, and that there's no real bandwagon for the Blackhawks; hockey is just as irrelevant to Chicago now as it was in 2004. Can't get a break these days. Might get to the conference finals, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 years ago = no fans.

It is crazy!!

Funny, I've also heard that it's just the same 23,000 people going to the games, and that there's no real bandwagon for the Blackhawks; hockey is just as irrelevant to Chicago now as it was in 2004. Can't get a break these days. Might get to the conference finals, though.

Take it from a Chicagoan, that's not true.

There's a great hockey history in Chicago. The Hawks have been overshadowed recently, caused mostly by their own incompetence and the rise of the Bulls.

Archived