2009 NBA Playoffs

TFoA

Well that was a bad 30 seconds for Orlando.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's now 2 games in this series that the Magic should've won but somehow ended up losing.

I wouldn't say it's a choke, more than it is the Lakers actually getting scrappy and winning a game with dirty basketball for a change.

The Game 4 win for the Lakers over the Magic marked their first road win in The Finals since Game 4 of the 2002 NBA Finals at Continental Airlines Arena, which was the last game Chick Hearn ever broadcast for the Lakers. Let the riots resume in Los Angeles on Sunday night !

THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS ARE NBA CHAMPIONS ONCE AGAIN!!!!

Congrats to Kobe on his 1st Finals MVP!!!

Congrats to Kobe and D-Fish on Ring #4!!!

Congrats to Phil Jackson on his 10th NBA Title!!!

Congratulations to the Los Angeles Lakers on their 15th NBA Championship!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAKKKKKKEEEERRRSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

And there is NBA Championship #15 for the Lakers, who now cement their status as Barcelona to Boston's Real Madrid. :P

Well, Kobe finally got his ring without Shaq. He's definitely in the all-time best players, but unlike ESPN I am NOT about to crown this dude as the best player ever or the next Jordan. He ain't even the best LAKER ever.

But yeah, once again, congrats to the Lakers. At least it wasn't the damn Celtics. :P

Auerbach.jpg

My most insincere congratulations to the Lake Show. The Magic got plain embarrassed in this series. Just one thing:

Red is still better.

That is all.

How's Red still better?

10 is one more then 9.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

I guess this officially pushes Jackson above Auerbach for the greatest coach of all time, huh?

Without sounding like a total homer here, not really being a Celtics fan should help, but to me Red is still #1. Remember he built those teams from the ground up, all the way from 1956 to 1986. Broke the color barrier not once, but twice (drafted Chuck Cooper, and then named Russel the first African-American coach). Absolutely the master of the NBA draft, rarely if ever missing (minus Cousy). Auerbach was directly involved with 16 titles to Jackson's 10.

Auerbach is number one, with Jackson a close second. IMHO.

Yeah I'm definitely not gonna give it to Phil Jackson...he's a great coach and all, his triangle offense is definitely one of the best tactical innovations in the game, but the man had at-the-time the 2 best players in the NBA for 9 of his titles, and arguably the best player in the game for #10. Like Speedy said, Red built teams from the ground up, and had a hand in all but one of Boston's titles. Yeah, Red's better.

How's Red still better?

10 is one more then 9.

Whatever I say you will just call me a homer, so I will just direct you to Flame's explanation (and subtly add that 4 different players he mentored -- players, not natural coaches -- won an additional 7 titles as coaches, both with the Celtics and also the Lakers) for an objective review. ;)

I think this was the least talented group to win a title under Jackson, and when you think about it there's really no question. Which is kind of insane. But nonetheless, he is still an extremely good coach obviously.

But hasn't Phil had to deal with more competition? How many teams were in the league during Red's time? And how restrictive were contracts?

It seems like making a good team and keeping a good team together are harder now. And wasn't Russell on something like all of Red's teams? Phil has won championships with four completely different teams. I think that means something, doesn't it?

I don't know that I have a dog in this race, but I tend to think that based on the level of athlete and competition, whatever current era we're in is generally better and more talented than previous eras. To me, Phil Jackson has accomplished more than Red Auerbach as coach of a team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'd say Phil's greatest coaching achievement was when he took that 03/04 team to the Finals. I read his book on that season, and that was a CRAZY ass locker room. It's a miracle that he could coach that team up with all the ego and dysfunction on that team that year.

And Shaq just reminded me...Adam Morrison has a ring now. Wow.

Archived