The Future of Basketball in America?

hettinger_rl

In this country (at least in theory,) you can drop out of school at 16, pick up a trade, and work to make a go of your life in that direction if you so desire. It's by no means easy, but it is an option. I don't see why it should be any different with a sport; the only ones losing out here are the folks running the basketball program at Louisville, and I'm pretty sure they aren't hurting. It's not like he's going to be missing out on an education here - I think we're all grown up enough, and have seen enough Bob Hugginses to admit that when it comes to football and men's basketball, furthering the mind and developing a non-sport career path is way on the back burner for most "student-athletes" in those two disciplines.

This is far from the end of the world. This is more like a swinging back of the pendulum, in an era when 6th and 7th graders are being scouted for colleges and basketball mills posing as learning institutions.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There is nothing wrong with their "attempt". In a few weeks Brandon Jennings will really be a case for more of this. But remember, in "The Lounge", there might be a thread on a very young tennis female player, say 16, which many posters would consider "hot" and even place wallpaper for, therefore if someone who is closer to your life decides to turn professional, we need to shut up. The market will bear if they are good enough; look at the other failures who tried to enter the NBA before college (Korleone Young, Robert Swift, Leon Smith) or the women who turned pro at 16 to try to win a title outside of Capriati/Seles/Hingis.

Wasn't Jennings on record as saying something to the effect of he wasn't happy in Europe and regretted the decision. I think there was something about playing time, or lack thereof over there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wasn't Jennings on record as saying something to the effect of he wasn't happy in Europe and regretted the decision. I think there was something about playing time, or lack thereof over there.

The "Real Sports" segment did state that Brandon was unhappy with playing time, but it also discussed that the was not really into the offense and appeared to be "spoiled" from the US hoops culture. Even though his mother is there and driven him to practice and cooks him his meals, he, possibly like many other like Brandon are spoiled and they think their fame and riches will be handed to them. There is a NYT Magazine piece on such a kid from Seattle, named Allonzo Trier, age 12-13.

(This is 12 web pages, so guys who hate to read, then I am warning you.)

The Class of 2014 and their Attempts for NBA Money

Wow. What a poorly edited article.

It isn?t the easy way ? hanging out in high school, AAU and college is safer and far less demanding ? but it is what they believe will be the best way to prepare for the NBA. It?s exactly what a teenager of comparable talent would do if they were pursuing a career in music, acting, tennis, hockey or even academics.

Riiight. Because dropping out of high school is a surefire start to a career in academics.

Not to mention music and acting - nobody ever attends any colleges, academies or educational programs to get ahead in those fields. :rolleyes:

If the kid realizes that he will have to tailor his game to achieve any success in the European leagues then go for it. He wont walk on to the starting lineup of Barcalona, Panathanaikos or Macabbi Tel Aviv, but with some hard training, he could be a starter in his second year.

1zqy8ok.gif

The only thing about this that bothers me is that kids in the future could possibly look up to him. I do not care that he has found what he wants to do at an early age, and is pursuing it. I actually admire that. That is because I have been through High School and College and I can separate myself from professional athletes. If this young man becomes a rather large star in the NBA, and kids start looking up to him and thinking, "Hey, Jeremy dropped out, I'll be fine," then we have a huge problem. I guess we will find out in 3 years whether this was a good decision or not, but I feel that one last year of HS ball and one year of NCAA ball under Rick Pitino would prepare him better than any Euro team ever could.

I don't know that much about the transition from high school to college to pros in US sport, so take this a question and not an opinion. Would the US (basketball in particular) benefit from moving to an academy based system similar to the one used by football teams over here. Seems to me if these kids have the talent to do what has been discussed, then getting them into a major league envirnoment so early could only serve to improve both their sporting and mental abilities.

The only thing about this that bothers me is that kids in the future could possibly look up to him.

This kid is generational talent if he's dominating his league as a junior. If anyone was stupid enough to look up to him and decide "maybe skipping high school if a good idea" and they were just middle of the pack, then they deserve what they get. He looked at all his options, and obviously, this is the best one for him.

High school students that are going to become professional athletes aren't stupid. There isn't only one route to the pros, and not everyone has to go through college to be successful.

The only thing about this that bothers me is that kids in the future could possibly look up to him.

This kid is generational talent if he's dominating his league as a junior. If anyone was stupid enough to look up to him and decide "maybe skipping high school if a good idea" and they were just middle of the pack, then they deserve what they get. He looked at all his options, and obviously, this is the best one for him.

High school students that are going to become professional athletes aren't stupid. There isn't only one route to the pros, and not everyone has to go through college to be successful.

No doubt, and I never said he was stupid. I am saying that the problem comes if he becomes a superstar like Jordan, Magic, Ewing, Bryant, etc. and a generation of children looks up to him as a hero. Say a HS sophomore and basketball fan is thinking about dropping out (not to play basketball, but just to be done with school), and he decides to drop out because Jeremy did it and turned out fine. Being too young he might not be able to separate that this young man had an unbelievable gift that promised to make him money in one way or another. The kid may not give himself a chance to succeed because he is following the footsteps of his "hero". IDK, maybe I am being ridiculous. I just wouldn't want my child to take his academic plans from a basketball player like this. Once you get older you can separate yourself from these guys, but maybe a HS sophomore or junior couldn't see the difference.

No doubt, and I never said he was stupid. I am saying that the problem comes if he becomes a superstar like Jordan, Magic, Ewing, Bryant, etc. and a generation of children looks up to him as a hero. Say a HS sophomore and basketball fan is thinking about dropping out (not to play basketball, but just to be done with school), and he decides to drop out because Jeremy did it and turned out fine. Being too young he might not be able to separate that this young man had an unbelievable gift that promised to make him money in one way or another. The kid may not give himself a chance to succeed because he is following the footsteps of his "hero". IDK, maybe I am being ridiculous. I just wouldn't want my child to take his academic plans from a basketball player like this. Once you get older you can separate yourself from these guys, but maybe a HS sophomore or junior couldn't see the difference.

Agreed. All of us can probably agree that teenagers can make dumb decisions based on our own personal experience. Maybe not as many in the "catastrophically ruin your life" department, but good judgment doesn't necessarily burn through the other things going on in the mind at the time.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I never said he was stupid either. I don't think kids aspire to take the same route to the pros as their idol...but I could be wrong.

This could work if you dropped out of high school early to become a crack addict, but an NBA player? Not so much?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 3 months later...

Jeremy Tyler has signed with Maccabi Haifa of the Israeli Premier League and will forgo his senior year of High School. Link

And from the "Where Are They Now?" files, one of his teammates will be none other than Tamir "Jewish Jordan" Goodman.

Archived