CFL Retro 2009

browna

A forum search didn't appear to come up with this from earlier in the month, please close if it has been mentioned.

Looks like the CFL is going to honor the 60's this year.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-retro-celebrating-the-sixties

All eight CFL teams, resplendent in sixties throwback uniforms from Reebok, will play in Retro games scheduled from July 16th through September 11th. And every team gets at least one Retro home game.

Sixties inspired sideline gear and fan wear designed by Reebok and Reebok by Roger Edwards will be available at our stadiums, team stores, at retail and online at CFLshop.ca. CFL.ca will feature vintage audio and video from the era. And our fans will be invited to get involved in the celebration in a special online initiative that will be announced soon. And that's just the beginning.

Taking a look at old sports cards on Ebay, their first few years of the 60's, the Stampeders uniforms looked fairly non descript, but for a few years in the Mid 60's, the Stampeders actually wore green. Surely they're not going use those uniforms, although the home game they play Toronto won't clash. There'd likely be a clash if they wore them in the later game against Edmonton, though.

I eagerly anticipate the Ti-Cats' stripe-o-rama. They're gonna have to make those stripes about 1/8" thick each to fit any in on the current jersey cut.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Taking a look at old sports cards on Ebay, their first few years of the 60's, the Stampeders uniforms looked fairly non descript, but for a few years in the Mid 60's, the Stampeders actually wore green. Surely they're not going use those uniforms, although the home game they play Toronto won't clash. There'd likely be a clash if they wore them in the later game against Edmonton, though.

According to a post on the 13thman forum, it was a colorization error by the card company (O pee chee?)

According to a post on the 13thman forum, it was a colorization error by the card company (O pee chee?)

Went over there and found that post...wow. So the card company switched up Sask (apparently they have red and white unis) and Calgary colors...for 3 years?

Obviously card maker was in the US, obviously had the CFL over a barrell. That or they didn't sell any cards as no one figured it out, or, as many of us born in the 70's and later have thought at one time, not every person had upgraded to eyes that could see in color, still using their old black and white one models and thus didn't notice the color difference. ^_^

Incredible that such a basic error could contine for that period of time.

A forum search didn't appear to come up with this from earlier in the month, please close if it has been mentioned.

Looks like the CFL is going to honor the 60's this year.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-retro-celebrating-the-sixties

All eight CFL teams, resplendent in sixties throwback uniforms from Reebok, will play in Retro games scheduled from July 16th through September 11th. And every team gets at least one Retro home game.

Sixties inspired sideline gear and fan wear designed by Reebok and Reebok by Roger Edwards will be available at our stadiums, team stores, at retail and online at CFLshop.ca. CFL.ca will feature vintage audio and video from the era. And our fans will be invited to get involved in the celebration in a special online initiative that will be announced soon. And that's just the beginning.

I know I'll catch a lot of flak for this...but I've never liked most of the CFL logos....tradition aside...... and tradition means more to some than others...... they look like high school or junior college logos......better than the WFL, USFL or XFL in many cases but lacking in the kind of logo quality of the NFL. I love tradition but I would say that most of the logos wouldn't be what they would use if the CFL emerged as a new league in 2009. I admire tradition.....but look at some ofm the re-vamps in pro sports ...the Banana Slug is a bad example....and you can see that sometimes we must embrace change.

The Tiger-Cats logo looks cumbersome as a helmet logo, the Eskimos logo is stylish (I freely admit not being a fan of word logos so the Bears, Giants and Jets score low with me as well) and I guess an igloo wouldn't be a btter logo......Blue Bombers and the Argonauts is unimaginative....the Stampeders looks like it was ripped off from Ford, the Roughriders...or is that Rough Riders is another boring letter logo and the Alouettes looked like a AAA baseball logo...which is generally not good for pro football. The BC Lions looks like it was drawn by a kid...with his feet........ and the Renegades logo looked like a pedophile.

The only ones I thought showed any promise were the now defunct CFL Colts and the Birmingham Barracudas and yes I know that Birminghma is not a port city.

Don't get me wrong, I like the CFL and the names themselves are great or good but I think the guys who do NFL marketing could improve the CFL logos a lot.

The Tiger-Cats logo looks cumbersome as a helmet logo

The logo they had for Canadian Labor Day in 2006 was great ... on the white helmet ... THAT should be the full-time logo:

Tigercats_06.gif

thanx to misterhabs

The Tiger-Cats logo looks cumbersome as a helmet logo

The logo they had for Canadian Labor Day in 2006 was great ... on the white helmet ... THAT should be the full-time logo:

Tigercats_06.gif

thanx to misterhabs

I re-gree with you, sir.

(Note: re-gree is from a M*A*S*H episode ...it was from a conversation between General Clayton and Hakweye that the general said, maybe this requires a re-think, to which Hawkeye quipped "we re-gree with you" (instead of saying we "re-agree" with you, he says we "re-gree" with you))

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

The Tiger-Cats logo looks cumbersome as a helmet logo, the Eskimos logo is stylish (I freely admit not being a fan of word logos so the Bears, Giants and Jets score low with me as well) and I guess an igloo wouldn't be a btter logo......Blue Bombers and the Argonauts is unimaginative....the Stampeders looks like it was ripped off from Ford, the Roughriders...or is that Rough Riders is another boring letter logo and the Alouettes looked like a AAA baseball logo...which is generally not good for pro football. The BC Lions looks like it was drawn by a kid...with his feet........ and the Renegades logo looked like a pedophile.

The only ones I thought showed any promise were the now defunct CFL Colts and the Birmingham Barracudas and yes I know that Birminghma is not a port city.

Don't get me wrong, I like the CFL and the names themselves are great or good but I think the guys who do NFL marketing could improve the CFL logos a lot.

it's kind of a pity, the Argos shield looked a helluva lot better when the boatman was holding it.

3105.gif

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Went over there and found that post...wow. So the card company switched up Sask (apparently they have red and white unis) and Calgary colors...for 3 years?

Obviously card maker was in the US, obviously had the CFL over a barrell. That or they didn't sell any cards as no one figured it out, or, as many of us born in the 70's and later have thought at one time, not every person had upgraded to eyes that could see in color, still using their old black and white one models and thus didn't notice the color difference. ^_^

Incredible that such a basic error could contine for that period of time.

As a CFL fan, sadly i have to agree. Several of the CFL logos are kind of weak. I'm going to take it one unpopular step further and say that I've never liked the updated league logo either. The new league logo bothers me on several fronts. First of all it follows the CFL logo rule of " if you take a boring logo and slant it to the right it suddenly becomes acceptable".......a la lions, riders, bombers, als. Second, it only looks properly proportioned when it's against a dark background. If it's against a white background the white outline stripe disappears and the logo looks not only bottom heavy, but very sparse.

Too picky?

zzPEfBm.png

it's kind of a pity, the Argos shield looked a helluva lot better when the boatman was holding it.

3105.gif

The design of that logo was very nice, but the colours were all wrong. For a miserable decade (1995-2004) they eliminated the light blue from their colour scheme and substituted it with "slate green." This for a team that had used Oxford Blue and Cambridge Blue, and was known secondarily as the Double Blue, for 120 years. I'd be fine with bringing back the shield logo but they'd need to keep the restored double blue colour scheme.

In hindsight, perhaps the teal was a misstep, but compared to the "logos" they had prior to this one, this was an absolute marvel of design.

Not only was the boatman a great logo, but that uniform (after they canned the brief WLAF-style front logo experiment) was magnificent. The rivets on the pants stripe, the Flying-Elvis style shoulder logos, even their choice of block number font - really good stuff. And I will add this: somewhere along the line, someone at Starter didn't get the message about the teal. I got a bunch of Argos stuff for Christmas in '97, and both the hat and replica jersey I got featured everything done in double blue. Gorgeous.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived