AHL to Austin, Abbotsford and Glens Falls

Brian in Boston

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I could see the MTS Centre being reovated for another couple of thousand seats to bring it up to NHL seating capacities. It's pretty new so it shouldn't really be a problem...

However, take a look at the Wikipedia topic on the MTS Centre and what it says under NHL tennents:

MTS Centre

The MTS Centre is as big as it's going to get. The only reason it's 15,015 and not 10k is because the cost of adding the rarely-used upper bowl was, in financial terms, minimal (added another $5-7M to the building costs, IIRC).

It's footprint is as big as it can be as is, so the only way to go is straight up; unless you want to use a ladder to get to your seats, it ain't happening. If Winnipeg wants NHL again, Chipman needs to buck up, sell his arena and land, and go build next to the Bombers by the University of Manitoba, that or annex some land near Portage and Broadway or trade spots with the Convention Centre and go from there.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The owner of the MTS Centre says its a good size and he wouldnt need to renovate for an NHL team because it would create "supply and demand for the team."

Whether thats good or bad, I dont know.

Yes, it would be a fight for seats but no, you could be losing out on another 2000-5000 more fans.

The Leafs sit just over 18 000 and its safe to say that they have alot of supply and demand. Same goes with the Habs.

beLEAF

The owner of the MTS Centre says its a good size and he wouldnt need to renovate for an NHL team because it would create "supply and demand for the team."

Whether thats good or bad, I dont know.

Yes, it would be a fight for seats but no, you could be losing out on another 2000-5000 more fans.

The Leafs sit just over 18 000 and its safe to say that they have alot of supply and demand. Same goes with the Habs.

Metro Toronto Area- ~6M

Metro Montreal Area- 3.5M

Metro Winnipeg Area- ~700,000

there's only so much supply and demand here. I think it's an apples to oranges situation.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

And if the limited supply demands you make the cheap seats at least 50 or 60 bucks while still selling out every single night to remain financially viable, you've got another issue on your hands.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

Crap.

Can we add Anaheim to the list of NHL organizations that just aren't allowed to have an AHL affiliate anymore? They're almost as bad as Calgary when it comes to killing markets.

How's the affiliation roulette shaping up? Are they going to partner with someone, say with Edmonton for Springfield? They can't be thinking about moving a franchise now for next season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Apparently, there have been talks of bringing the AHL back out west, possibly to San Diego and Tuscon (if memory serves me right). Hopefully, Abbotsford is the first step to the West. Hopefully, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, Phoenix (if not Tuscon and if they lose the Coyotes), Sacramento, and Portland (OR) wind up with teams, if those markets are viable.

Crap.

Can we add Anaheim to the list of NHL organizations that just aren't allowed to have an AHL affiliate anymore? They're almost as bad as Calgary when it comes to killing markets.

How's the affiliation roulette shaping up? Are they going to partner with someone, say with Edmonton for Springfield? They can't be thinking about moving a franchise now for next season.

Think Austin just found its franchise? Maybe the Stars are willing to pony up the $12.5M to cover the penalty Schlegel Sports would incur for leaving Des Moines early.

Apparently, there have been talks of bringing the AHL back out west, possibly to San Diego and Tuscon (if memory serves me right). Hopefully, Abbotsford is the first step to the West. Hopefully, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, Phoenix (if not Tuscon and if they lose the Coyotes), Sacramento, and Portland (OR) wind up with teams, if those markets are viable.

To make it viable at all, you'd have to have a minimum of five teams out there at once, and they'll all play each other 20 times a season, without sniffing the rest of the league until the playoffs. Sure you'll still bleed money, even with the reduced travel footprint, and the fans will stay away in droves from what's basically a five-team league, but oh, just think of the player development!

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Was the AHL ever really "out west" in the first place in order to be brought back?

There was that one time in Utah... otherwise, until 2001, Cleveland was considered "out west."

At least Anaheim won't try to buy the Rivermen and move them to San Diego this year. Probably. The Blues did re-up the staff, IIRC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Was the AHL ever really "out west" in the first place in order to be brought back?

There was that one time in Utah... otherwise, until 2001, Cleveland was considered "out west."

Dont forget Edmonton durring the lockout.

Signature intentionally left blank

Dont forget Edmonton durring the lockout.

That's why I said "until 2001."

Utah came in in 2001, until then St Louis (1944-53) was as far as they went.

On another note: The top four names submitted online for Abbotsford are the Heat, Flames, Ice Hawks and Storm

Signature intentionally left blank

On another note: The top four names submitted online for Abbotsford are the Heat, Flames, Ice Hawks and Storm

Further proving that people in the Fraser Valley are morons.

Anyone want to go searching on TESS for any of these?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived