Rebranding the MLB: Part 6

elliott

mlb-rebrand-bar5.gif

SEA | TB | BAL | MIA | ATL

Ok, I had a pretty long (about 3 weeks) hiatus, and recently I have been working on the Angels. Before I did some work on the Rockies and Mets, so expect those later, but I was intrigued by the way this was going so I decided to wrap this one up first.

My goals here:

-simplify the color scheme, dropping the little used blue, silver, and darker red

-utilize the A halo logo, but bring into play some wings

-keep the bevel theme but in a different way

-use the bevel consistently, creating a fluid identity

Not much else to say. The font is downloaded from urbanfonts but the bevel is the custom part, it does take some attention to detail to make the bevel look right. It is the first custom bevel I have done, I think, so hopefully it looks good. Oh, one more thing, I did a little experimentation with scotty's template for a new layout. You will be seeing that on my trifecta submission as well.

Comments are appreciated. Thanks.

UPDATE

Angels2009Logos2.gif

ORIGINAL

Angels2009Jerseys.gif

There is something about the logos that make them seem non-majorleague-ish, but I can't exactly put my finger on it. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the positioning of the stripes and the fact that the halo is the same color as the A. But that said, I love the simplicity of the logo, and at the same time, it's details make it a good logo. The uniforms also look very good, and the wordmarks/logos look good on them. Overall, I think if the A logo were just altered a tiny bit, this set could look solid.

EDIT: After seeing patsox's comment, I do agree. I know you were trying to lose the accent colors, but a little bit of silver might be able to greatly improve this set.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Ok yeah the team name is Anaheim Angels. I forgot to say I dropped the LA simply, well, because they play in Anaheim. Yes it does say Angels Anaheim but that it more of a aestetic choice, I guess you could say.

Looking at it again, navy outlines would help, for sure. I don't know, I guess I just wanted to go out on a limb a little bit with the all red.

I'm absolutely in love with what you've done. I love the simplified logo, and the uniforms are a thing of beauty. Definitely my favorite in the series.

The only thing I'd like to see, is some gold in there SOMEWHERE. It needs an accent color, otherwise it looks like the Reds. Make the halo at least gold.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I agree with chestnutz6, I would love to see some gold in the set. It looks great and I love everything you have done with it to this point. Plus it shows that the 'A' in the scripts does not need the halo to look good. You really did a great job here.

yeah, this one looks great, its one of my favorites in the series.

You should definitely add some sort of accent color, and also, i think you should spice up the wings a bit. They kinda look like pigs' thighs right now lol. Maybe add some "fluffs"/feathers or whatever you want to call it

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

elliott, I'm going to agree with some of the previous posts that some sort of additional accent/highlight color is needed, as the red-only is pretty flat.

Also, I don't think the logo is really working. I don't see 'wings' at all when I look at it (I think that's what the shapes on either side of the 'A' are supposed to be. They taper to a single point, and there's no visual representation of the feathers that would make up the wings. As it is, I see two tornados flanking an 'A.' I would elevate the wings, with the tips high and the wings outstretched, and include some minimal feather details.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Those don't look like wings to me. They look like horns that have fallen off. Which is kind of cool in a Dante-esque tale of spiritual redemption, demons repenting and becoming angels and whatnot, but I think that might be a bit deeper than the average sports fan is looking to go. If you're going to use them, add more detail to show some feathers.

And losing all the accent colors was a bad idea.

Midnight Kernboy! Haha! That was the very first font I ever downloaded, for a UMass concept. Love it!

I also love the concept. Or I would love it, that is, with anotha' cola'. All that red, doesn't it signify the Devil to more than Angels? And I know those are wings, but turned upside-down, they REALLY look like devil horns, just saying. I think you simply need to add something else. Gold would do the trick probably. Even if you make an accent color that is really, really subtle, it can do wonders for the concept. Right now, the caps just don't look right with that white logo.

(but PLEASE, no halo cap!)

Nice job!

Excellent work, Elliott! Might be my favorite of this series. I was hoping you would come out with something new for this, and this concept is nearly perfect IMO. The "all red" color scheme works really well in this but like it was stated before, an accent might work.

I'm eagerly awaiting more from you.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I would love to see a Red and Gold color scheme, which would be really unique for the MLB, and would get rid of the over saturated Red and Blue theme. So I probably would go with a gold stroke around the wordmarks.

Really nice job on these though, keep up the great work.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I'm getting quite the Mickey D's vibe from this.

And that has what to do with baseball?

The logos he made remind me of the McDonald's logos with the bevels and the red and yellow and everything. It makes me want a quarter pounder really badly. I would have preferred to see silver or blue as the accent color in order to avoid comparisons like these.

I think that this is good except for the white logo on red. It doesn't look righ to me. I think for the hats you should maybe try a red hat with a white front (like the Jays and Orioles retros) so that you can use the red logo on the hats.

g4104.png

Archived