Back In The Game?

Linus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have I made the point yet in this thread that it's still cheaper for me to fly from Vancouver to Phoenix to see an NHL hockey game than it is for me to get tickets into GM Place?

If not, I'm making it now. If I did, I'm reiterating.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Have I made the point yet in this thread that it's still cheaper for me to fly from Vancouver to Phoenix to see an NHL hockey game than it is for me to get tickets into GM Place?

If not, I'm making it now. If I did, I'm reiterating.

I'm pretty sure you're reiterating, but I can't prove it because this thread has become an unwieldy behemoth.

thecatch.jpg

its the thread that wont die... well till the judge makes his decision after june 9ths hearing... he sped up the hearing this could all be over and not drug out too far... thank god

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Wow! Is that the entire trip to Phoenix vs. 1 Game in Vancouver?

Just about, yeah. If I drive over to LA/Anaheim for a game or two as well, then obviously my per-game average goes way down, but really, it's pretty close. It's hard to get a 'Nucks ticket at the best of times, but once you start factoring in the secondary/brokering market, things really start spiraling out of control.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

its the thread that wont die... well till the judge makes his decision after june 9ths hearing... he sped up the hearing this could all be over and not drug out too far... thank god

My prediction is that the judge rules in the NHL's favor, not because of anything Balsille has or hasn't done, but because I suspect (I don't know, as it's one of the few sports law-related documents I don't possess a copy of) the NHL Constitution has specific provisions regarding what happens if a member's business organization (i.e., Coyotes Hockey) files for bankruptcy.

Another factor is that the business entity's chief creditor, by far, is Jerry Moyes. Debt owed to an individual who also has an ownership stake in a company, despite the letter of the law, is often viewed by bankruptcy judges with a "you blew it" mindset, and as a result they tend to ignore certain legal distinctions between the business entity and its stakeholders/owners.

nav-logo.png

Another story from TSN:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280253

Jim Balsillie has announced the renovation plans for Hamilton's Copps Coliseum.

The project would see the arena updated with fan friendly features, new restaurants, food and bar amenities and a capacity for over 18,000. According to a media release, the update would also fully address all of the National Hockey League's previously stated requirements for Copps Coliseum.

Just when you think everything dies down another story gets thrown into the ring...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

ah gary know your facts or be able to backl them up...stumblin and fumbling the entire time... jeez.. june 2 edition...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hockeynigh...anada/hotstove/

"Stumblin and fumbling the entire time", huh? :rolleyes: Wow. Just... wow.

The constant drumbeat to the effect that Gary Bettman is somehow responsible for all of the NHL's ills never ceases to amaze me. It is particularly comical when someone can watch a video segment like the aforementioned link and come to the conclusion that Bettman doesn't have command of the facts - particularly with regard to the Phoenix Coyotes' situation. It seems to this observer that Commissioner Bettman addressed - quite pointedly, in fact - the issues surrounding the Coyotes' bankruptcy, the NHL's stewardship of the franchise since assuming control from Mr. Moyes, Mr. Balsillie's desire to purchase and relocate the franchise, etc. Bottom line? Mr. Moyes purchased a single, Greater Phoenix-based franchise in the National Hockey League. Should he wish to move said franchise from said market - or, sell the franchise to someone who does - he cannot do so unilaterally, as the entire partnership of the league's 30 owners must sign-off on such a move. Period.

ah gary know your facts or be able to backl them up...stumblin and fumbling the entire time... jeez.. june 2 edition...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hockeynigh...anada/hotstove/

"Stumblin and fumbling the entire time", huh? :rolleyes: Wow. Just... wow.

The constant drumbeat to the effect that Gary Bettman is somehow responsible for all of the NHL's ills never ceases to amaze me. It is particularly comical when someone can watch a video segment like the aforementioned link and come to the conclusion that Bettman doesn't have command of the facts - particularly with regard to the Phoenix Coyotes' situation. It seems to this observer that Commissioner Bettman addressed - quite pointedly, in fact - the issues surrounding the Coyotes' bankruptcy, the NHL's stewardship of the franchise since assuming control from Mr. Moyes, Mr. Balsillie's desire to purchase and relocate the franchise, etc. Bottom line? Mr. Moyes purchased a single, Greater Phoenix-based franchise in the National Hockey League. Should he wish to move said franchise from said market - or, sell the franchise to someone who does - he cannot do so unilaterally, as the entire partnership of the league's 30 owners must sign-off on such a move. Period.

Bettman comes across as a bigger idiot than he really is, because he doesn't have a particularly convincing TV persona. The guy is not an idiot by any means, he has taken risks that haven't paid off, but he has made moves that have. That doesn't mean I like him though!

Gary Bettman looked like a complete fool last night on live TV on CBC. I love the fact that he was on live TV, not knowing any facts or anything in general related to the questions being asked.

I wish Bettman would grow a pair and go on the air on Hardcore Hockey Talk with Steve Kouleus, Al Strachan and Steve Ludzik. Koulie has offered to fly to NY or have Bettman fly in to do a show but Bettman has refused every time. Bettman would be ripped to shreds by those three.

beLEAF

What they hell were you guys watching last night?

Bettman had a quick, assertive, and knowledgeable response to everything McLean threw at him outside of when McLean started talking about "free financing." And like Bettman, I didn't really see where he was going with that.

Bettman laid out the NHL's case pretty perfectly, and it's completely logical.

What they hell were you guys watching last night?

Bettman had a quick, assertive, and knowledgeable response to everything McLean threw at him outside of when McLean started talking about "free financing." And like Bettman, I didn't really see where he was going with that.

Bettman laid out the NHL's case pretty perfectly, and it's completely logical.

Something must get lost in translation across that pesky English/Canadian language border. Everytime a Canadian hockey fan listens to Bettman, they think he's either drooling and going "Durrr..." the whole time, or that he's threatening to move the Canadiens to Santa Fe.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I found this... It's probably fake but it's worth viewing.

Aslo, I don't think Bettman sounded uninformed on the Hotstove. He made some good points and he's the commissioner so he has to protect the existing franchises. I just disagree with him on the premise that the Phoenix Coyotes can be a profitable organization.

The biggest problem I have with Bettman in this interview is the way he just brushes off the claims that this team has lost 400 million dollars since 1996 and, to top it all off, has yet to post a profit. That's kind of a big deal, Mr. Bettman.

thecatch.jpg

The biggest problem I have with Bettman in this interview is the way he just brushes off the claims that this team has lost 400 million dollars since 1996 and, to top it all off, has yet to post a profit. That's kind of a big deal, Mr. Bettman.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bettman doesn't unilaterally make decisions regarding NHL policy. He serves at the behest of the league's owners.

Therefore, in the face of the fact that there is no denying that the Coyotes have lost significant capital over the franchise's years in Greater Phoenix, since there seems to be no urgency to relocate the team out of the market, we can conclude that a majority of the NHL's owners back further efforts to secure the team's future in Arizona.

Balsillie may not agree with that course of action. The Canadian media may not agree with that course of action. Hockey fans in both the United States and Canada may not agree with that course of action. That said, Balsillie, the media and the fans aren't calling the shots. The NHL's owners are... period. And, it would seem that Bettman is trying his damnedest to fulfill the owners' collective desire on this issue. As is to be expected from an employee.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bettman doesn't unilaterally make decisions regarding NHL policy. He serves at the behest of the league's owners.

Therefore, in the face of the fact that there is no denying that the Coyotes have lost significant capital over the franchise's years in Greater Phoenix, since there seems to be no urgency to relocate the team out of the market, we can conclude that a majority of the NHL's owners back further efforts to secure the team's future in Arizona.

Balsillie may not agree with that course of action. The Canadian media may not agree with that course of action. Hockey fans in both the United States and Canada may not agree with that course of action. That said, Balsillie, the media and the fans aren't calling the shots. The NHL's owners are... period. And, it would seem that Bettman is trying his damnedest to fulfill the owners' collective desire on this issue. As is to be expected from an employee.

Well if he or the Board of Governors have a positive spin to put on the disastrous run the Coyotes franchise has had so far, I'd like to hear it. Don't just brush off huge numbers (400 MILLION DOLLARS!) like they mean nothing. That makes Gary Bettman, loyal employee of the Board of Governors, look like he simply doesn't have a response to a question that I think is on alot of hockey fans' minds. Maybe the Board of Governors should've given him better talking points but the point is that he brushed off a pretty huge economical fact like it meant nothing. Why did he not face up to it and make a counter argument? The reason for not having a counter argument to such a massive financial loss, in my opinion, is that Gary Bettman and the NHL simply do not have one and I think it showed in the Hotstove interview. That being said, the rest of the interview, Bettman came off as having a pretty good grasp of the situation and did bring up some good points against relocation. He did, however, ignore the 400 lbs. (or should that be "400 million dollar") gorilla in the room.

thecatch.jpg

Archived