Back In The Game?

Linus

deciding whether or not St. Balsillie's efforts to circumvent the NHL constitution vis a vis relocation

Geez, don't tip your hand or anything.

Just giving him the title his own public relations seems bent on giving him.

Well....that and future God Emperor of Canada seemed a little much.

Yeah, that title goes to Stephen Harper, anyways. :upside:

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the hearing isn't getting underway until the tail end of June, I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that the Coyotes will continue to be in Glendale for the '09-'10 season. This isn't 1970 anymore, when a team could change hands and relocate a couple of weeks before the season opener. There's too many parties with too much money involved, and way too much planning required between them, to upend it all 2 1/2 months before training camp.

The question on my mind now is, how does this all play out next season in the desert? Do the fans pack Jobing every night to show potential owners there's reason to keep the team where it is? Or do they start drawing Roadrunner-level numbers, because the fans refuse to come out for a lame-duck franchise? And regardless of how many butts are in the seats, is there any way the Coyotes find their way above 14th in the West?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If the hearing isn't getting underway until the tail end of June, I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that the Coyotes will continue to be in Glendale for the '09-'10 season. This isn't 1970 anymore, when a team could change hands and relocate a couple of weeks before the season opener. There's too many parties with too much money involved, and way too much planning required between them, to upend it all 2 1/2 months before training camp.

The question on my mind now is, how does this all play out next season in the desert? Do the fans pack Jobing every night to show potential owners there's reason to keep the team where it is? Or do they start drawing Roadrunner-level numbers, because the fans refuse to come out for a lame-duck franchise? And regardless of how many butts are in the seats, is there any way the Coyotes find their way above 14th in the West?

Well, they were 13th in the West this year...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Sacking Gretzky in favor of someone who is cheaper, yet can actually coach would be a start. The Coyotes do have talent, better yet, young talent so the presumable minimal salary they will have to work with won't likely force a mass roster purge. I could see them getting above 14th even under league control.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Move the Coyotes to Cornwall, Ontario.

• Cornwall Coyotes. Sounds cool, and that sells t-shirts.
  • Cornwall even smells like Hamilton, if that's the appeal. (Hamilton smells like ass)
  • Cornwall is halfway between Ottawa and Montreal. Instant rivalries, without Toronto's taint. (Toronto's taint = Hamilton)
  • Cornwall sits on the border with the USA, which means New Yorkers can be counted on to attend Coyotes games.
  • Not those low-brow western New Yorkers either, we're talking classy, Upstate New Yorkers, from places like Ogdensburg.
  • The OHL failed in Cornwall, and was replaced by the AHL, which failed in Cornwall. Next logical step - have the NHL fail in Cornwall.

Cornwall just makes sense as the perfect compromise. A Canadian city that'll draw New Yorkers without threatening the Sabres' fanbase, smells like Hamilton, and according to Icecap's Wiki source, it's in southern Ontario. For Ballsy, meets the same standards Hamilton does, and eliminates the issues the NHL has with a Niagara area relocation.

Move the Coyotes to Cornwall.

Move the Coyotes to Cornwall, Ontario.

• Cornwall Coyotes. Sounds cool, and that sells t-shirts.
  • Cornwall even smells like Hamilton, if that's the appeal. (Hamilton smells like ass)
  • Cornwall is halfway between Ottawa and Montreal. Instant rivalries, without Toronto's taint. (Toronto's taint = Hamilton)
  • Cornwall sits on the border with the USA, which means New Yorkers can be counted on to attend Coyotes games.
  • Not those low-brow western New Yorkers either, we're talking classy, Upstate New Yorkers, from places like Ogdensburg.
  • The OHL failed in Cornwall, and was replaced by the AHL, which failed in Cornwall. Next logical step - have the NHL fail in Cornwall.

Cornwall just makes sense as the perfect compromise. A Canadian city that'll draw New Yorkers without threatening the Sabres' fanbase, smells like Hamilton, and according to Icecap's Wiki source, it's in southern Ontario. For Ballsy, meets the same standards Hamilton does, and eliminates the issues the NHL has with a Niagara area relocation.

Move the Coyotes to Cornwall.

Cornwall smells worse than Hamilton :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The Sonics were officially 86'ed in Seattle in July of 2008, and started play in OKC a few months later. I don't see why it would be any different with the Coyotes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Sonics were officially 86'ed in Seattle in July of 2008, and started play in OKC a few months later. I don't see why it would be any different with the Coyotes.

Well...the NBA also wanted the move to go through and therefore likely had a vast array of contingency plans mapped out ahead of time in addition to generally greasing the skids for the team. The NHL doesn't want the move to go through, ergo it will obstruct, deny and delay a move until we are past the "point of no return" for next season.

/the sale of the team will probably only be completed in July anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well...the NBA also wanted the move to go through and therefore likely had a vast array of contingency plans mapped out ahead of time in addition to generally greasing the skids for the team. The NHL doesn't want the move to go through, ergo it will obstruct, deny and delay a move until we are past the "point of no return" for next season.

Exactly. With Seattle, the ownership was already in place, and the wheels were in motion long before the previous season ended. The only reason that went until July was the city's last-ditch legal action, which it suddenly gave up on.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So what the hell does that mean? Pardon my ignorance.

The judge was only going to rule on the bankruptcy and how creditors are to be repaid, not on what is in the best interest of hockey or its fans. There are about 600 pages of documents which the judge also needs to review as well.

Coyotes and NHL Ordered to Mediation

Interesting quote from the article linked to above.

The judge didn't like that billionaire Jim Balsillie has already launched an antitrust lawsuit designed to allow the team to move to Hamilton, pointing out he doesn't own a team.

And he scolded Moyes for not going to the league with Balsillie's $212.5 million (U.S.) offer.

"To have a bonafide dispute, you have to have someone turned down."

Never a good idea to piss off the judge in your case. Looks like Balsillie's accomplished that.

US Senators say Coyotes move would hurt Sabres

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- U.S. Sens. Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York are opposed to the Phoenix Coyotes relocating to southern Ontario because it would have a potential "crippling" effect on the Buffalo Sabres.

In a letter sent to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Thursday, the two Democrats sided with the league in its bid to prevent BlackBerry boss Jim Balsillie from purchasing the bankrupt Coyotes and moving them to Hamilton, located about 45 minutes west of Buffalo.

The Sabres, one of the NHL's strongest U.S. small-market franchises, generate about 20 per cent of their revenue from across the border.

The NHL has asked a bankruptcy judge to uphold the league's right to determine who owns a franchise and where it plays.

Then Baldsilly will move onto the Islanders.........

If Balsillie fails here, he is done for good IMO. If he fails here that will probably mean the courts have upheld the NHL's rules in regard of franchise location. He'll basically have no recourse to force the NHL to let him move in future situations. He has already lost in Canada on this matter back on the Nashville attempt, and lost here means he will have also lost the antitrust claim in the States.

Further more by taking the action he has in this matter he has completely eroded any support he may have had among other owners. Challenging league rules on antitrust grounds will do that. He is now probably viewed as an Al Davis overly litigious type. Basically if he fails he they can just not approve him as owner without fear of it resulting in a lawsuit as the courts have already held up the league's rules.

He may try if he fails here, but he won't have a shot at getting a team.

The 'Yotes will be in Phoenix next year for sure and probably for another year after that. This thing will be tied up in the courts for a while because of the antitrust part. Whoever losses that will probably appeal and it is something that could work it's way up all the way to the Supreme Court. My guess while all of that is going on the team will have to stay in Phoenix.

Further more by taking the action he has in this matter he has completely eroded any support he may have had among other owners. Challenging league rules on antitrust grounds will do that. He is now probably viewed as an Al Davis overly litigious type.

He may try if he fails here, but he won't have a shot at getting a team.

Bingo!

Balsillie strikes the majority of the NHL's current owners as being too brash, too brazen, too self-interested and - now - too potentially litigious. Look, many of them probably love his financial strength and his obvious passion for the sport. Hell, all of the Canadian owners besides MLSE probably admire his desire to bring a seventh NHL franchise to Canada. That said, far too many of the NHL suits that Balsillie needs to be courting look at him and see pro ice hockey's Mark Cuban. 'Nuff said. None of these guys is going to feel comfortable inviting the potential for that sort of off-ice drama into their private "club".

Bottom line? Balsillie learned nothing - NOTHING - from his previous attempts to land an NHL franchise. He rubbed NHL owners the wrong way then and he has done it again. Barring a sea-change in either Balsillie's attitude or the lineup of NHL owners, the former is never going to join the ranks of the latter.

Archived