Back In The Game?

Linus

Been there, done that ... in 1970

Balsillie hearing not unprecedented

June 08, 2009

Steve Milton

The Hamilton Spectator

(Jun 8, 2009)

Is Bud Selig arguing against his own past?

One of the most riveting tidbits among the dozens of lengthy "briefs" sent over the weekend to Judge Redfield T. Baum, in advance of tomorrow's pivotal hearing on whether the Phoenix Coyotes can be sold to play anywhere but Phoenix, is a 1970 baseball bankruptcy.

A filing by the Coyotes cites the 1970 case of the Seattle Pilots, which went into bankruptcy, were sold and moved to Milwaukee to become the Brewers, over the objections of the American League (the Brewers have since switched to the National League).

"The facts of the Pacific Northwest bankruptcy are virtually indistinguishable here," the Coyotes say, noting concerted efforts by the league and Seattle to keep the team there, and that the other American League teams felt it was better for them to keep the team in Washington state.

But, the brief notes, the judge ruled the team could be moved and it was all done in less than a month: bankruptcy was filed March 12 and on April 7, the team began play as Milwaukee Brewers, half a continent away.

The brief notes the Coyotes and Jim Balsillie are asking that the same procedure take place in four months, not one.

The commissioners' offices of Major League Baseball, the NFL and NBA have all filed statements to Baum supporting the NHL in the Coyotes case. The NBA and MLB statements urged Baum "not to set precedent that could severely disrupt the business of professional hockey" and other professional sports.

The commissioner of MLB is Bud Selig.

The man who led the group that purchased the Pilots out of bankruptcy and moved them to Milwaukee in 1970? Bud Selig.

THAT...was an interesting read. Funny how this kind of stuff can come back to haunt people--or at least expose lil' "secrets".

As the saying goes..."what's done in the dark, will come to light". Well...Bud Selig's little secret (well, it was to this '80s baby, anyway), just came to light.

(Key pieces in bold for those who don't like to take time to read thoroughly. ^_^ )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, Seattle did end up getting a proto-Cleveland plan out of that fiasco.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Further, had the American League taken over day-to-day operation of the Pilots and/or provided the team's owners with capital prior to the latter filing for bankruptcy? A key point in the NHL's argument has been that Moyes had no right to unilaterally file for bankruptcy (i.e. without checking with the NHL), as the league had effectively taken-on the operation of the club. That's a potentially key difference in the two scenarios.

To be fair, Seattle did end up getting a proto-Cleveland plan out of that fiasco.

Only by filing about a dozen lawsuits against MLB and tying them up in court for over six years, giving them enough time to build the Kingdome and convince MLB to give them another shot rather than duke it out in the courts.

nav-logo.png

PHOENIX - Bankruptcy judge Redfield T. Baum believes the NHL is entitled to a fee for the right to put a team in Hamilton, and that unknown number is crucial to his decision on the fate of the Phoenix Coyotes.

His statement, coming during a combative and entertaining court hearing today in Phoenix, ran counter to arguments made by lawyers for Jim Balsillie that no fee is owed.

Balsillie has bid US$212.5 million for the insolvent Coyotes on the condition he move it to Hamilton -- something the league is against.

The relocation fee would take away money available to pay off creditors and Baum said that if that left them worse off, he would reject Balsillie's bid.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281369

So what's Bettman going to do, put the relocation fee at $200 Million?

And the ball would be in Balsillie's bid to say "OK, fine" and pay a fee on top of the 212.5 million so as not to take money from the sale away from creditors.

Again, satisfying the creditors is the first and foremost priority here if the court deems the Bankruptcy claim valid.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Still no official decision. This wait is killing me. I know it takes time but please make a decision asap!

It's not going to get done in time for a move this year. I can pretty much guarantee that at the least.

PHOENIX - Bankruptcy judge Redfield T. Baum believes the NHL is entitled to a fee for the right to put a team in Hamilton, and that unknown number is crucial to his decision on the fate of the Phoenix Coyotes.

His statement, coming during a combative and entertaining court hearing today in Phoenix, ran counter to arguments made by lawyers for Jim Balsillie that no fee is owed.

Balsillie has bid US$212.5 million for the insolvent Coyotes on the condition he move it to Hamilton -- something the league is against.

The relocation fee would take away money available to pay off creditors and Baum said that if that left them worse off, he would reject Balsillie's bid.

And the ball would be in Balsillie's bid to say "OK, fine" and pay a fee on top of the 212.5 million so as not to take money from the sale away from creditors.

Again, satisfying the creditors is the first and foremost priority here if the court deems the Bankruptcy claim valid.

Except Glendale becomes a creditor if the team leaves. I believe they said they would be asking for half a billion.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

since i got nothing better to do im following sportsnets live blog of the court proceedings this cracked me up...

Arash Madani:

THIS IS A CLASSIC ... I cannot confirm this, so I'll leave it to the guys there.

The Glendale rep at the podium was asked by the judge if he has ever been to a Coyotes game.

"Yes, your honour. This year. I went to a game against the Capitals. The Coyotes did not prevail but I was disturbed by how many empty seats there were here."

A rumbling of discontent behind me from the six Coyotes season ticket holders.

Phoenix, they tell me, WON that game ...

Oh boy.

i looked it up they indeed won that game 2-1... i think if i only went to one game all year i would know who won or lost...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

since i got nothing better to do im following sportsnets live blog of the court proceedings this cracked me up...
Arash Madani:

THIS IS A CLASSIC ... I cannot confirm this, so I'll leave it to the guys there.

The Glendale rep at the podium was asked by the judge if he has ever been to a Coyotes game.

"Yes, your honour. This year. I went to a game against the Capitals. The Coyotes did not prevail but I was disturbed by how many empty seats there were here."

A rumbling of discontent behind me from the six Coyotes season ticket holders.

Phoenix, they tell me, WON that game ...

Oh boy.

i looked it up they indeed won that game 2-1... i think if i only went to one game all year i would know who won or lost...

Not if you're a martini-swilling jerk in a luxury box. Which I bet he was.

Today, we are all otaku.

Still no official decision. This wait is killing me. I know it takes time but please make a decision asap!

It's not going to get done in time for a move this year. I can pretty much guarantee that at the least.

Except Glendale becomes a creditor if the team leaves. I believe they said they would be asking for half a billion.

The city of Glendale would become an unsecured creditor which would mean they would be at the back of the line,and once the secured creditors were paid,they would have to seek a settlement for a portion of what was left over to get any money at all.

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Professional sports operate much differently than they did back then.

It's a precedent, but it shouldn't be a major deciding factor in this case.

Exactly. I mentioned the Pilots-Brewers move somewhere waaaaay back in this thread, and said such a move would be impossible today - there's too many entities involved in the financial picture of pro sports now, each with its own multi-million dollar stake in each league and franchise. To cite one small example, can you imagine Topps printing out full, uncorrected runs of trading cards with the wrong city or team name, as they did with 1970's "Pilots" or 1974's "Washington" Padres? Of course not.

Comparing the franchise relocation efforts of MLB in 1970 to any American sports league in 2009 really is an apples and oranges scenario.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

June 08, 2009

Steve Milton

The Hamilton Spectator

(Jun 8, 2009)

One of the most riveting tidbits among the dozens of lengthy "briefs" sent over the weekend to Judge Redfield T. Baum, in advance of tomorrow's pivotal hearing on whether the Phoenix Coyotes can be sold to play anywhere but Phoenix, is a 1970 baseball bankruptcy.

A filing by the Coyotes cites the 1970 case of the Seattle Pilots, which went into bankruptcy, were sold and moved to Milwaukee to become the Brewers, over the objections of the American League (the Brewers have since switched to the National League).

"The facts of the Pacific Northwest bankruptcy are virtually indistinguishable here," the Coyotes say, noting concerted efforts by the league and Seattle to keep the team there, and that the other American League teams felt it was better for them to keep the team in Washington state.

But, the brief notes, the judge ruled the team could be moved and it was all done in less than a month: bankruptcy was filed March 12 and on April 7, the team began play as Milwaukee Brewers, half a continent away.

The brief notes the Coyotes and Jim Balsillie are asking that the same procedure take place in four months, not one.

The commissioners' offices of Major League Baseball, the NFL and NBA have all filed statements to Baum supporting the NHL in the Coyotes case. The NBA and MLB statements urged Baum "not to set precedent that could severely disrupt the business of professional hockey" and other professional sports.

The commissioner of MLB is Bud Selig.

The man who led the group that purchased the Pilots out of bankruptcy and moved them to Milwaukee in 1970? Bud Selig.

THAT...was an interesting read. Funny how this kind of stuff can come back to haunt people--or at least expose lil' "secrets".

As the saying goes..."what's done in the dark, will come to light". Well...Bud Selig's little secret (well, it was to this '80s baby, anyway), just came to light.

(Key pieces in bold for those who don't like to take time to read thoroughly. ^_^ )

One thing this story does not point out, but TSN's Farhan Lalji does, is the league's position that the sale of the Pilots was approved by the American League before the relocation, but the sale of the Coyotes has no such league approval.

I don't know how big a difference that will make, but it's worth pointing out.

And that's an essential difference - the American League wasn't opposed to the sale of the Pilots.

Bud Selig isn't arguing that teams shouldn't be purchased out of bankruptcy. He's arguing that bankruptcy shouldn't be a way for teams to be relocated against the wishes of their leagues.

Perhaps it seems a subtle distinction, but in practice it's actually a huge one.

June 08, 2009

Steve Milton

The Hamilton Spectator

(Jun 8, 2009)

A filing by the Coyotes cites the 1970 case of the Seattle Pilots, which went into bankruptcy, were sold and moved to Milwaukee to become the Brewers,over the objections of the American League (the Brewers have since switched to the National League).

One thing this story does not point out, but TSN's Farhan Lalji does, is the league's position that the sale of the Pilots was approved by the American League before the relocation, but the sale of the Coyotes has no such league approval.

I don't know how big a difference that will make, but it's worth pointing out.

Well the article says the opposite of what Farhan says so I guess that's a good question. Anybody gonna do this research? I don't have time today.

thecatch.jpg

Archived