Lakers concept

chestnutz

Chestnutz is right. Their current logo and identity is just a basketball and a wordmark, which in kind of an odd way- is an iconic logo (at least I think it is). Anyway, I'm liking where this is going, keep at it.

Well that is something I would like to see improved with the Lakers identity. Just because the Lakers logo now is just a ball and a woodmark, doesn't mean the concept has to be.

Since you are curious, this is a laker

SSEdmundFitzgerald.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being in th LA area, I'm not feeling the meaning of the star, because if you live here, the whole celebrity stigma gets really played out.

Also, the interlocking "LA" is pretty much a Dodger trademark, so it doesn't seem right being in a Laker set.

That being said, the tweaked wordmark would be the way to go, and if anything, try to update the elements of the current primary, maybe by incorporating more purple in the ball itself.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't know if this is what you were aiming for but the colors are too soft. I think thats why you got some WNBA-ish remarks. The colors they have now are bright and flashy and this is very soft and isn't exactly bright and flashy. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's worth a shot.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

SSEdmundFitzgerald.jpg

I saw this boat (or a replica of it) while in Duluth. I think if you could go int this direction with a boat-ish theme, even if doesn't have anything to do with LA.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

SSEdmundFitzgerald.jpg

I saw this boat (or a replica of it) while in Duluth. I think if you could go int this direction with a boat-ish theme, even if doesn't have anything to do with LA.

OT: You most certainly didn't see that ship in Duluth. Look for "Edmund Fitzgerald" on Wikipedia sometime. Amazing, tragic story. It's remembered every November in these parts.

The one in Duluth is the William A. Irvin.

I think your update looks great, and I would like to see it on uniforms. The Lakers are a hard team to work with because they come from Minnesota and it's not your fault they couldn't change the identity once they moved. I like it and I think it works.

Regardless of why they were named the Lakers, giving them a ship theme is really the only logical option now that they're in LA. It can't be any worse than their current logo set, really, and it could spice up a Clipper rivalry too haha... modern ships versus older ships.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

image removed

OT: You most certainly didn't see that ship in Duluth. Look for "Edmund Fitzgerald" on Wikipedia sometime. Amazing, tragic story. It's remembered every November in these parts.

Maybe that's what it was. I just remember going into a museum-type boat.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

SSEdmundFitzgerald.jpg

Or ask

The new wordmarks make it look more "manly" and less like a WNBA logo. Nice Update.

Uniforms!

This is only my second time making basketball uniforms, so I'm a bit new to it. The partial logo is on the shorts, and the LA monogram is on the back. Didn't want to go too crazy, but they're a bit more modern than the ones they have now (new logos means more modern unis).

lakersunis.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Few things...

...as far as an "identity package" goes for the Lakers, I think the Lakers have (depending on your view) fallen or risen into above that certain sect of teams whose name alone far transcends any imagery that may be attached to it (aside from championship trophies). These are teams such as the Yankees, Dodgers, Lakers--teams to which one really can't attach any certain imagery, and its mostly due to the team name. As such, it'd be very difficult to draw up any kind of identity for the Lakers that actually includes such. About the best one would be able to do would be to freshen up the current logo/wordmarks and try to bring them up to speed with current times.

That said...this is a concept design, and in my eyes, a very good one at that.

First off, hats off for even attempting to draw up a concept set for the Lakers. I think they're one of the most un-conceptualized teams in this forum. Your first draft was a bit on the weak-ish side, but I'm loving the update. It holds a little more to the current "Lakers" script, but it's stll fresh. As for the "starball" logo you came up with, I like the idea behind it, but with a script mark that depicts forward motion, you might look at rendering that logo so that it's moving along with it.

As for these uniforms here, that NOB is gon' be mighty hard to see against that white background. I'd suggest using solid purple sans outlines. I also see you went away from the "traditional" Laker numerals. Nice way to stick your neck out there. ^_^ That logo on the back of the neck should probably be a good bit smaller--as it stands now, it appears the same size as the NOB. Now, aside from all of that, I....really...like this here concept set. Very nice work, indeed, Chesonik.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived