MLB All Star Game 2009 Thread

patsox

I voted all 25 times earlier and did exactly what I do every year. I stick to my teams.

So, it was 8 Twins for the AL, 8 Braves for the NL.

That's how I roll.

I dont mean to pick on you, but its people with that mentality that ruin the All Star Game. Its the ALL STAR GAME, not "my favorite player game." Call me a homer, but how in the world does Manny Ramirez have more votes than Raul Ibanez? In fact, how does any NL outfielder have more votes than Raul Ibanez? He leads the NL in Home Runs and RBI. Is it because he's not a sexy name? Is it because ESPN doesnt swallow him every night? Or is it because he doesnt play in New York, Chicago or LA? The process is a joke. The game should be a showcase of the game's best players THAT YEAR. It shouldnt count for home field, and it sure as all hell should not have its starting lineups determined by little 8 year old Johnny filling out 90 ballots instead of watching the game like he should at the ballpark because his role model is Manny. And people wonder why everyone hates America....

The fact that the whole thing is a popularity contest, that puts people like Manny in with his situation, is the exact reason I do what I do. The players from the biggest markets get all the votes. I definitely see what your saying, that when people in NY, LA, Chicago, or Boston do that it ruins it. But Braves and Twins fans can't compete with that.

I am essentially doing what any Democrat in Tennessee does with a Presidential election. They all come out and proudly vote, knowing their candidate is still going to get destroyed. I do it to be loyal to my teams, and be one less vote for Manny and the others. Sure, they're not all All-Stars, but when you turn the process into a fan vote, that's all out the window.

And, ya know, a vote for Mauer, Morneau, Chipper, or McCann certainly isn't a wasted vote. B)

The fact that Jason Varitek is probably going to end up beating out Mauer for catcher just because he plays in Boston is an outrage. It happens every year. It is bound to happen again this year. You might as well change it from the NL vs the AL to the NL vs the Red Sox. You can even argue it should be Cubs vs Red Sox. I hate the whole top vote getter is the starter thing, but that's just the way it goes I guess. Mauer might be 100K votes ahead right now, but I have a feeling that once it nears July the Red Sox fans are going to change that fact.

You're complaining about something that may happen in the future?

Geeze!

I hate the Red Sox as much as any one but I think you're a bit paranoid.

It's already happened in the past.

Also, looking at the votes so far, I was laughing my head off at the AL. 1st base is a tight race, but Chris Davis 5th!!?!?!? He's batting less than .200! Carlos Gomez has a better chance to get a hit!

And the outfield is hilarious too. Ken Griffey, Jr. is 4th! Torii Hunter is 10th! Ha. Something has to be done about this...

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I voted all 25 times earlier and did exactly what I do every year. I stick to my teams.

That's how I roll.

I dont mean to pick on you, but its people with that mentality that ruin the All Star Game. Its the ALL STAR GAME, not "my favorite player game." Call me a homer, but how in the world does Manny Ramirez have more votes than Raul Ibanez? In fact, how does any NL outfielder have more votes than Raul Ibanez? He leads the NL in Home Runs and RBI. Is it because he's not a sexy name? Is it because ESPN doesnt swallow him every night? Or is it because he doesnt play in New York, Chicago or LA? The process is a joke. The game should be a showcase of the game's best players THAT YEAR. It shouldnt count for home field, and it sure as all hell should not have its starting lineups determined by little 8 year old Johnny filling out 90 ballots instead of watching the game like he should at the ballpark because his role model is Manny. And people wonder why everyone hates America....

The fact that the whole thing is a popularity contest, that puts people like Manny in with his situation, is the exact reason I do what I do. The players from the biggest markets get all the votes. I definitely see what your saying, that when people in NY, LA, Chicago, or Boston do that it ruins it. But Braves and Twins fans can't compete with that.

I am essentially doing what any Democrat in Tennessee does with a Presidential election. They all come out and proudly vote, knowing their candidate is still going to get destroyed. I do it to be loyal to my teams, and be one less vote for Manny and the others. Sure, they're not all All-Stars, but when you turn the process into a fan vote, that's all out the window.

And, ya know, a vote for Mauer, Morneau, Chipper, or McCann certainly isn't a wasted vote. B)

The fact that Jason Varitek is probably going to end up beating out Mauer for catcher just because he plays in Boston is an outrage. It happens every year. It is bound to happen again this year. You might as well change it from the NL vs the AL to the NL vs the Red Sox. You can even argue it should be Cubs vs Red Sox. I hate the whole top vote getter is the starter thing, but that's just the way it goes I guess. Mauer might be 100K votes ahead right now, but I have a feeling that once it nears July the Red Sox fans are going to change that fact.

Geeze!

Also, looking at the votes so far, I was laughing my head off at the AL. 1st base is a tight race, but Chris Davis 5th!!?!?!? He's batting less than .200! Carlos Gomez has a better chance to get a hit!

And the outfield is hilarious too. Ken Griffey, Jr. is 4th! Torii Hunter is 10th! Ha. Something has to be done about this...

What the hell are you complaining about buddy? It's only June 1st! We've got a LONG way to go before the starting lineups are decided. Stop worrying about what hasn't happened yet and instead do something about it. If you really think Joe Mauer deserves to get the starting catcher nod over Varitek, tell all your friends to vote for him. It surely isn't Varitek or Mauer's fault that the Red Sox have more fans across the world than the Twins do. IF Varitek gets the nod, he will deserve it. So will any other starter that gets a starting nomination. The fact is that the fans decide the lineup and whoever wins will win fair and square because that is in fact how the nominations are designed to be decided.

That's how I roll.

Geeze!

What the hell are you complaining about buddy? It's only June 1st! We've got a LONG way to go before the starting lineups are decided. Stop worrying about what hasn't happened yet and instead do something about it. If you really think Joe Mauer deserves to get the starting catcher nod over Varitek, tell all your friends to vote for him. It surely isn't Varitek or Mauer's fault that the Red Sox have more fans across the world than the Twins do. IF Varitek gets the nod, he will deserve it. So will any other starter that gets a starting nomination. The fact is that the fans decide the lineup and whoever wins will win fair and square because that is in fact how the nominations are designed to be decided.

1.) I have a lot of friends, but I don't have as many friends as the city of Boston.

2.) I never said it was Varitek or Mauer's fault.

3.) You really think Jason Varitek deserves to be the All-Star Game starter? Or even in the All-Star Game?

4.) How is the fact that Varitek could make the All-Star Game for the sole reason he is a Boston Red Sock fair?

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I'n my opinion, who DESERVES to start, as of right now:

AL

C Mauer, MIN

1B Morneau, MIN

2B Kinsler, TEX

3B Longoria, TB

SS Bartlett, TB

OF Hunter, LA of A

OF Bay, BOS

OF Jones, BAL

P Greinke, KC

NL

C McCann, ATL

1B Pujols, STL

2B Utley, PHI

3B Zimmerman, WAS

SS Ramirez, FLA

OF Ibanez, PHI

OF Beltran, NYM

OF Braun, MIL

P Santana, NYM

That's how I roll.

Geeze!

1.) I have a lot of friends, but I don't have as many friends as the city of Boston.

2.) I never said it was Varitek or Mauer's fault.

3.) You really think Jason Varitek deserves to be the All-Star Game starter? Or even in the All-Star Game?

4.) How is the fact that Varitek could make the All-Star Game for the sole reason he is a Boston Red Sock fair?

1) Obviously

2) I know

3) I didn't say that

4) ...because the fans decide the starters and that would be the reason why he would hypothetically win.

AL

C Mauer, MIN

1B Morneau, MIN

2B Kinsler, TEX

3B Longoria, TB

SS Bartlett, TB

OF Hunter, LA of A

OF Bay, BOS

OF Jones, BAL

P Greinke, KC

NL

C McCann, ATL

1B Pujols, STL

2B Utley, PHI

3B Zimmerman, WAS

SS Ramirez, FLA

OF Ibanez, PHI

OF Beltran, NYM

OF Braun, MIL

P Santana, NYM

I agree 100% with this lineup.

Voting for your favorite players just because they play in markets smaller than LA, Boston, Chicago, or New York is just as bad. Again, its the ALL STAR GAME. It should be the BEST players from the first half of THIS season. End of story.

I agree to an extent. Yes, if someone is having an exceptional start to the season they should be on the team. However getting off to a hot start doesn't necessarily make you a STAR. Ken Griffey Jr. is having a horrible season. However he is a future hall of famer and one of the most popular players of our generation. If he's still playing, I think he should start.

I'm also happy to see Nick Markakis finally getting recognized as one of the best OFers in baseball. He's belonged on the team the past couple seasons. I was pleasantly surprised to see him at #5 in the AL.

AL

C Mauer, MIN

1B Morneau, MIN

2B Kinsler, TEX

3B Longoria, TB

SS Bartlett, TB

OF Hunter, LA of A

OF Bay, BOS

OF Jones, BAL

P Greinke, KC

NL

C McCann, ATL

1B Pujols, STL

2B Utley, PHI

3B Zimmerman, WAS

SS Ramirez, FLA

OF Ibanez, PHI

OF Beltran, NYM

OF Braun, MIL

P Santana, NYM

Aaron Hill > Ian Kinsler

1zqy8ok.gif

AL

C Mauer, MIN

1B Morneau, MIN

2B Kinsler, TEX

3B Longoria, TB

SS Bartlett, TB

OF Hunter, LA of A

OF Bay, BOS

OF Jones, BAL

P Greinke, KC

NL

C McCann, ATL

1B Pujols, STL

2B Utley, PHI

3B Zimmerman, WAS

SS Ramirez, FLA

OF Ibanez, PHI

OF Beltran, NYM

OF Braun, MIL

P Santana, NYM

I think that the ballot I casted at the Rays game was only 1 or 2 players off this.

Aaron Hill > Ian Kinsler

I'm as big an Aaron Hill fan as anyone...believe me. The homer in me really wanted to put him in there. But you look at the stats and the standings, and Kinsler is having a better year:

Kinsler

.279 AVG, 13 HR, 39 RBI, 10 SB, .361 OBP, .552 SLG, , 135 OPS+, .984 FLD%, Leadoff hitter for the best record in the AL.

Hill

.333 AVG, 12 HR, 37 RBI, 2 SB, .368 OBP, .519 SLG, 131 OPS+, .980 FLD%, Best hitter on 3rd place team in the AL East.

---

It's close. VERY close. Hill's got the better Avg. and OBP, Kinsler's better everywhere else.

Voting for your favorite players just because they play in markets smaller than LA, Boston, Chicago, or New York is just as bad. Again, its the ALL STAR GAME. It should be the BEST players from the first half of THIS season. End of story.

I agree to an extent. Yes, if someone is having an exceptional start to the season they should be on the team. However getting off to a hot start doesn't necessarily make you a STAR. Ken Griffey Jr. is having a horrible season. However he is a future hall of famer and one of the most popular players of our generation. If he's still playing, I think he should start.

I'm also happy to see Nick Markakis finally getting recognized as one of the best OFers in baseball. He's belonged on the team the past couple seasons. I was pleasantly surprised to see him at #5 in the AL.

Ken Griffey Jr? Why? It doesnt matter what he did in the past. He played in those All Star Games. Its someone elses turn. The guys who have played the best this year to this point are the ones who deserve to be there.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Already begun your annual "no Philadelphia Phillies belong in the All-Star game this year" campaign, I see. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

AL

C Mauer, MIN

1B Morneau, MIN

2B Kinsler, TEX

3B Longoria, TB

SS Bartlett, TB

OF Hunter, LA of A

OF Bay, BOS

OF Jones, BAL

P Greinke, KC

NL

C McCann, ATL

1B Pujols, STL

2B Utley, PHI

3B Zimmerman, WAS

SS Ramirez, FLA

OF Ibanez, PHI

OF Beltran, NYM

OF Braun, MIL

P Santana, NYM

I agree with this line-up, except for Pujols.

In any other year in the NL, I would give it to Pujols, but this year I'd take Adrian Gonzalez of San Diego. Dude is killing it. 21 Home Runs in the worst hitter's park in the league in PetCo Park.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

American League

First Base:

Morneau, J., MIN

Second Base:

Kinsler, I., TEX

Third Base:

Longoria, E., TB

Shortstop:

Jeter, D., NYY

Catcher:

Mauer, J., MIN

Outfielder:

Bay, J., BOS

Outfielder:

Crawford, C., TB

Outfielder:

Ellsbury, J., BOS

Already begun your annual "no Philadelphia Phillies belong in the All-Star game this year" campaign, I see. :P
They don't, but we need at least one. How about Clay Condrey? One of the best middle-relievers in the game.

LvZYtbZ.png

They don't, but we need at least one. How about Clay Condrey? One of the best middle-relievers in the game.

And Bobby Scales should be the Cubs representative.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Ken Griffey Jr? Why? It doesnt matter what he did in the past. He played in those All Star Games. Its someone elses turn. The guys who have played the best this year to this point are the ones who deserve to be there.

The game is about showcasing the stars of the league. Even though Griffey's not playing like a star, he is one of the most recognizable players in the game. The game is about moments and seeing future HOFers playing against each other (I know that it now has home field advantage for the World Series at stake, but I hate that and think it should be changed immediately, last year's game is an example as to why). I want to see Griffey play CF next to future and current stars such as Carl Crawford. I want to see him face an up and coming pitcher such as Tim Lincecum. It's kinda cool to see the old generation face the new.

A good example is the 2001 game with Cal Ripken. Ripken was probably the worst 3B in the league that year. But his switch back to SS and homerun are going to be some of the most memorable moments in All-Star game history. That's what the game is about (or should be about). I think the game would have been alot less entertaining and memorable had the more deserving Troy Glaus gotten the start (no offense to Glaus or any Angels fans).

I do think the players having good years belong on the team, but as reserves. I may be in the minority, but I think the starters should be the more popular players (and by that I don't mean people like Jacoby Ellsbury or Melky Cabrera who would basically be selected for their uniform).

Archived