Flyers to sign Ray Emery

BBTV

It was reported (at least locally) as soon as they got knocked out of the playoffs by Pittsburgh that the Flyers were going to be looking at other goalies, most notably Ray Emery. Apparently, the intended signing will be announced within the next day or so (can't officially sign until 7/1.)

Is this guy really as big of a loose cannon as he's been made out to be? All I've seen recently of him is YouTubes of him attacking his trainer, and articles detailing his numerous arrests and altercations. Obviously, Martin Biron won't be coming back, what with the team signing the guy that beat his ass a few years ago.

Here's one recent article, but like I said, this has been going on for a while.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers...sign_Emery.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On the plus side, I'd say Bouwmeester's all but in orange and black for next year.

Based off of...?

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

On the plus side, I'd say Bouwmeester's all but in orange and black for next year.

Based off of...?

That's the rumors I'm hearing. I mean, he wanted to come to Philly at the deadline last year, now he's a FA (I think), and Philly is in dire need of better defensemen.

Based off of...?

That's the rumors I'm hearing. I mean, he wanted to come to Philly at the deadline last year, now he's a FA (I think), and Philly is in dire need of better defensemen.

That's the word on the street. Unfortunately, they have no cap room so they're going to have to lose someone or get real creative to bring him in. Apparently that's all but a done deal too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why would anyone want Ray Emery? This is a guy who has "me" disease, and really is a guy who has "me" disease really better than what they had? You bring in Emery and the Flyers miss the playoffs.

Why would anyone want Ray Emery? This is a guy who has "me" disease, and really is a guy who has "me" disease really better than what they had? You bring in Emery and the Flyers miss the playoffs.

That's what I'm wondering. I hate Marty Biron, and will be glad that he's gone, but I'm not sure that this is the right direction to go in.

Apparently it's only a one year contract though, so not much risk. They will likely let Nittymaki go too though since he'll likely be looking to start, so they won't have a good insurance policy if this blows up in their face.

Emery is a average goalie with anger issues the Flyers could do better. Roloson and Fernandez are two pending free agents who would be good reliable goalies, but if they have cap issues then that's the reason Emery is getting a shot.

Based off of...?

That's the word on the street. Unfortunately, they have no cap room so they're going to have to lose someone or get real creative to bring him in. Apparently that's all but a done deal too.

Because... it isn't tampering when another team still retains that players' rights... doesn't sound right to me at all.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Philadelphia would be the perfect place for Emery and Fernandez.

It's where goalies careers go to die.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The Flyers could bring in Conklin and have open competition next year. (Conklin and Emery)

-Dan

Ty Conklin can only go two places next season, Boston or Washington (if the rumors are correct.) Has to keep his streak alive.

Based off of...?

Because... it isn't tampering when another team still retains that players' rights... doesn't sound right to me at all.

Right. Paul Holmgren can't officially talk to players (or talk publicly about players) who are on other teams, but that doesn't mean that they can't have internal discussions that may somehow get leaked to the media.

"Tampering" happens all the time in sports now, most notably NHL and NFL. It ain't right, but it's just the nature of the free-agency system.

They'll probably pull something like they did with Timmonen a few years ago, where they make some insignificant trade just to acquire exclusive negotiating rights before the official start of free agency. Florida probably realizes they have no shot at keeping him, so they'll move his rights for very little.

The Flyers and Emery have come to terms on a deal that reportedly will pay him $1.5 million for 1 year. The deal can't be signed until July 1, when free agency starts.

Yeah, he was a somewhat problematic goalie here in Ottawa, but he does have great potential and tremendous athletic ability. I think the local media made a bigger deal out of Emery's personal life because, after all, it's Ottawa and currently the Senators are pretty much the only game in town so anything that involves them is automatically the city's biggest sports news. I mean, the media made him out to be some kind of locker room cancer, but with him gone last year, the Sens missed the playoffs for the first time in something like 12 years, so I think his negative influence on the team may have been blown out of proportion . Essentially I think he got a bad rap and can be a decent addition to the Philadelphia Flyers.

That being said, I do know that he likes to "party" if you catch my drift. *Cough* Cocaine *Cough-cough*... But then again alot of other hockey players also like to indulge in "partying ways" so I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just make sure he gets a decent alarm clock so he can show up to the rink on time.

thecatch.jpg

What about Manny Legace? I'd like to think he's got one or two good years left.

He did look sort of good for the Rivs. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived