NBA offseason 09/10 thread

buzzcut

Well, according to ESPN, Mike Bibby has signed a 3-year deal to stay with the Hawks. This is a good signing because hopefully it means that Bibby will be able to help Jeff Teague develop. Unfortunately, as long as Mike Woodson is coaching there, I'm scared that that might not be the case.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, according to ESPN, Mike Bibby has signed a 3-year deal to stay with the Hawks. This is a good signing because hopefully it means that Bibby will be able to help Jeff Teague develop. Unfortunately, as long as Mike Woodson is coaching there, I'm scared that that might not be the case.

Probably the best move the Hawks can make this offseason. Assuming there's no trades, which free agent(s) can best help the Hawks?

I forgot what I was listening to, but some NBA expert mentioned that Orlando "took a major step backwards" so far this offseason, and that losing 3 of their 5 starters could open the door for the Hawks and Washington (whom this guy predicted could win the Southeast and/or be a 4-5 seed in the playoffs next year) to contend in the division. Boston and Cleveland seem to be a definite 1-2, and keeping the core for the Hawks should keep them in the top 4-5 in the East.

Yeah, people are thinking that the only reason why the Wizards didn't go to the playoffs last year was because of the fact that their entire team succumbed to injury. The Sporting News currently has them rated as the #3 team...IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. I highly disagree, but I'm guessing that they think that Arenas and co. are all gonna have career years coming off of injury. :P

Back to the Hawks, though. I was hoping that they'd make a move at Gortat or maybe even Rasheed, but I guess that all signs are pointing to them keeping Zaza as well.

Yeah, people are thinking that the only reason why the Wizards didn't go to the playoffs last year was because of the fact that their entire team succumbed to injury. The Sporting News currently has them rated as the #3 team...IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. I highly disagree, but I'm guessing that they think that Arenas and co. are all gonna have career years coming off of injury. :P

Back to the Hawks, though. I was hoping that they'd make a move at Gortat or maybe even Rasheed, but I guess that all signs are pointing to them keeping Zaza as well.

I wanna know who their supplier was.

For real though...that might be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. Pretty much for the reason listed above. I might understand third best in the East (and even then it'd be a good bit asinine), but that's just plain out crazy talk there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I know this is so wrong...but it feels so right.

Honestly, if Arenas and the gang stay healthy, I highly doubt that they won't make the playoffs. However, due to the lack of big men on the team, they'll get a 6th-8th seed, and won't go far.

But still, third in the entire league? I could get used to that.

Probably the best move the Hawks can make this offseason. Assuming there's no trades, which free agent(s) can best help the Hawks?

I forgot what I was listening to, but some NBA expert mentioned that Orlando "took a major step backwards" so far this offseason, and that losing 3 of their 5 starters could open the door for the Hawks and Washington (whom this guy predicted could win the Southeast and/or be a 4-5 seed in the playoffs next year) to contend in the division. Boston and Cleveland seem to be a definite 1-2, and keeping the core for the Hawks should keep them in the top 4-5 in the East.

I guess the expert meant 3 of 5 for the playoffs, I wouldn't refer to Jameer Nelson as a bench player.

Does anyone know what the starting lineup will look like for Orlando? Will Rashard Lewis move to SF and Carter to SG, or will Lewis be PF and Carter SF with wildcard at shooting guard?

I think Pietrus can fill in for a wing spot. He's the same size as Carter, and at 6-6 either can play SF so I can see them being interchangeable, with Pietrus guarding the other team's best perimeter player. This is only if Pietrus can actually stay healthy during the season, of course.

Wade-sig.png

Rasheed Wallace is a Celtic, as per the Boston Globe.

I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about this, but I think... Woo hoo! Very solid. If only the free agents team would have accepted Tony Allen in a potential trade.

Wikipedia:

...and remains the only player ever to get ejected from the McDonald's All American Game.

I love it! The Sheed era has begun! (though if I ever meet him, I will still have to bring up 1994. Haha. Suckers.)

Now for Grant Hill! (and Leon Powe. Come on, wait him out. It's better than freaking Big Baby.) And I wish Marbury would stay. It's not like his play warranted even the vet's minimum, much less anything more. I really think he can rebound. (punny!) Just imagine the Celtics team: Grant Hill, Sheed, KG, Allen, Starbury, Pierce. If this were 1999/2000, holy crap.

I think Pietrus can fill in for a wing spot. He's the same size as Carter, and at 6-6 either can play SF so I can see them being interchangeable, with Pietrus guarding the other team's best perimeter player. This is only if Pietrus can actually stay healthy during the season, of course.

I completely forgot about Pietrus. guess I should have checked the roster first.

Mainly because Jason Kidd wanted no part of the same media that put him under the microscope back when the Nets were one of the elite teams in the NBA. More money for the Knicks to throw at LeBron now? :P

I just don't see how LeBron goes to NY now. They have done nothing to "improve" their team. Why would LeBron go to a team that is the absolute suck when he could stay where he is, make more cheese, and win? He's already all over New York, he doesn't need to actually play there.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If the Nets' Brooklyn arena EVER gets done (or started, for that matter), it'd be a longshot to be finished by what would be LeBron's first season as a Net. I don't know how crazy he'd be about having to play in NBA purgatory in New Jersey for ±1 season. I think a sale or change of plans that results in the Nets joining the Devils in Newark is more likely than a Brooklyn arena at this point, and I'm not sure Newark would be a step up from Cleveland.

That being said, does LeBron's cameo in Jay-Z's "Death of Autotune" video constitute tampering? :P

He can go to New York, still. He doesn't have to be a Knick, however.

2004_01_mayorbjayz.jpg

Actually, my comments could apply to both "New York" teams.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

He can go to New York, still. He doesn't have to be a Knick, however.

2004_01_mayorbjayz.jpg

Actually, my comments could apply to both "New York" teams.

Who's to say that they don't go on a shopping spree of epic proportions next season? They got Arab Money right now, and even more once next season rolls around. They're clearly getting ready to buy some big names next season.

From the cavsinsider twitter feed:

Source: LeBron didn't tell Ariza he is for sure staying with the Cavs past '10.Not that he won't, mind you, but not recruiting pitch

lol, this is so much fun. I'm sure it will get annoying by this time next season if LeBron hasn't signed with anyone yet, but at least it's not on Brett Favre-level of annoying-ness. :P

Archived