2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

"infrared" I believe he was referring to my comments, not yours. Don't get worked up just yet today, Kevin Riley has not taken the field to blow it for Cal.

EDIT: Our first live vomit on CBS! 1080i is great!

I think he was referring to both of us stating that we didn't think State deserved to win.

On topic. Has this been a helluva day for great games or what? LSU - Georgia, Michigan - Michigan State, FSU - Boston College, Washington - Notre Dame. I don't know how many of you, if any, saw this one since it was the MAC game of the week but Toledo - Ball State was another classic. I'd love to see the NFL match this for excitement tomorrow but it won't because...well because NFL Football is boring by comparison. And we still got Oklahoma - Miami and USC - Cal to go.

Also...

Georgia got boned on that excessive celebration call. It probably cost them the game.

Does anyone think Washington would like to get back those 3 points they left on the field when Notre Dame stopped them on 4th and goal?

You know that I do. Coach Sark should of known that a Field Goal wouldn't be enough to force the Irish into a hurry up situation. Being up by 9 and not by 5 would of meant that if Notre Dame did score, they would need an onside kick and to reach field goal range for their kicker.

But, that didn't happen. Although the team is going to feel bad about this game, after 24-36 hours, they'll need to forget this game and prepare for Arizona.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Georgia got boned on that excessive celebration call. It probably cost them the game.

Georgia lost the game because the kickoff defense was terrible.

What was I thinking? What were the announcers thinking? Of course the excessive celebration call was a good one. Kicking off from the 15 after a bull- :censored: call didn't hurt Georgia at all. That extra 15 yards didn't help LSU one bit.

BB52Big.jpg

What was I thinking? What were the announcers thinking? Of course the excessive celebration call was a good one. Kicking off from the 15 after a bull- :censored: call didn't hurt Georgia at all. That extra 15 yards didn't help LSU one bit.

When LSU returned the kickoff 40 yards, and UGA committed a 5-yard penalty in the process, that's what did in UGA.

Conversely, UGA returned LSU's kickoff only 10 yards after LSU got their own celebration penalty.

Both teams got celebration penalties, and both teams kicked the ball deep on the ensuing kickoffs. One returned the ball 45 yards, and the other returned the ball 10 yards.

Georgia lost because their defense on special teams allowed a big return.

When LSU returned the kickoff 40 yards, and UGA committed a 5-yard penalty in the process, that's what did in UGA.

Conversely, UGA returned LSU's kickoff only 10 yards after LSU got their own celebration penalty.

Both teams got celebration penalties, and both teams kicked the ball deep on the ensuing kickoffs. One returned the ball 45 yards, and the other returned the ball 10 yards.

And at the end of the day, the call on Georgia was still bull- :censored: and it still gave LSU 15 yards they did not deserve. Back up the entire series 15 yards and I believe we have a different result. Sue me because my opinion differs from yours.

And the truth is simple. Georgia lost because LSU scored more points. The rest is just two guys running their mouths.

BB52Big.jpg

Going into day. Bob Stoops was 12-1 in the regular season after a BYE week.

Miami's "victory drive" was excellent. Javarris James went from a name which NCAA fans knew into a real player; 15 carries for 150 yards. Harris was really poor early, but the coaching staff settled him down and they won. personally, I did not think that Miami would be 3-1 or that Stanford would be 4-1.

And at the end of the day, the call on Georgia was still bull- :censored: and it still gave LSU 15 yards they did not deserve. Back up the entire series 15 yards and I believe we have a different result. Sue me because my opinion differs from yours.

And the truth is simple. Georgia lost because LSU scored more points. The rest is just two guys running their mouths.

I just can't get behind blaming the officials for a game being won/lost. There's always a much-more logical reason that the officiating.

The difference would have been LSU starting at their own 47 instead of UGA's 38. With under 2 minutes left, LSU's play-calling likely doesn't change....they're still running the ball, using as much clock as possible so UGA can't get the ball again.

For what it's worth, I respect your college football talk more than just about anyone else. If I were to go to a bar and watch a game, you're likely the first person I'd invite.

That said....see you in that ESPN college football courtroom.

Boise State now thanks Houston for participating in the BCS Buster game. You will receive parting gifts if you get to the C-USA championship game.

Boise has 9 days for their game at Tulsa; that may be their biggest game for the rest of the year.

I just can't get behind blaming the officials for a game being won/lost. There's always a much-more logical reason that the officiating.

The difference would have been LSU starting at their own 47 instead of UGA's 38. With under 2 minutes left, LSU's play-calling likely doesn't change....they're still running the ball, using as much clock as possible so UGA can't get the ball again.

For what it's worth, I respect your college football talk more than just about anyone else. If I were to go to a bar and watch a game, you're likely the first person I'd invite.

That said....see you in that ESPN college football courtroom.

1. I agree on that point but I also hate to see a situation where lousy officiating costs a team unnecessarily and that's what I think happened on that play. It's one thing if it's a questionable interference call or holding etc. but in a game like LSU-Georgia I just think that maybe the officiating crew could have been a little more lenient in the area of excessive celebration. Especially in the case of Georgia's go ahead TD. Did it cost Georgia the game? Looking at it rationally, of course it didn't. I'm sure there were multiple examples of plays Georgia could have made throughout the game that would have changed the outcome. I just hated the fact that an excessive celebration call even played into the end of that game. Especially when it was such a BS call. It probably doesn't help that I was rooting for The Bulldogs.

2. That's a really cool thing for you to say. Thanks. I really appreciate it. If I were still a drinker I'd be happy to come along.

BB52Big.jpg

Congrats on the win infrared. It seemed all to similar to what I've experience watching the Rams the last few years. That's quite a loud road crowd OSU has. I can only imagine what the O-H-I-O chant is like in Ohio stadium.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Virginia 16, North Carolina 3.

Tee hee.

:censored:

Hopefully Al Groh "grohs" complacent before next week.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The initial eight lines have never been more correct. Man, I thought that I just saw Vince Young lose.

aTm and johnson gets big hype

He is the Sidd Finch of college football, a player so talented and productive it's almost impossible to believe he's real.

But Texas A&M junior quarterback Jerrod Johnson is very real. And despite carrying a team with less talent and more freshmen than all the hyped-up Heisman-watch names, Johnson is making a stronger early-season case for the stiff-arm statue than anyone.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/09/30/jerrod-johnson/index.html#ixzz0Swmd08Rc

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Congrats on the win infrared. It seemed all to similar to what I've experience watching the Rams the last few years. That's quite a loud road crowd OSU has. I can only imagine what the O-H-I-O chant is like in Ohio stadium.

That's why we get BCS bowls we may not always deserve.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived