2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone possibly tell me how Michigan keeps getting call after call go their way when they don't deserve getting the call?

That was clearly a simultaneous catch and they both had the ball for a good 2-3 seconds before Warren got the ball.

I'm guessing Michigan pays better. Seriously, they cannot be that lucky week after week. Maybe the officials just really are that severely incompetent. Who knows?

Wow, really? You guys sound ridiculous with your conspiracy theories. The call on the interception was questionable, but what other ones are you guys referring to? Sizemorematters, please don't tell me you think that Armando Allen wasn't out of bounds. And Burgandyskins, what were these calls they were lucky on these other 3 weeks? Last week, against Eastern Michigan at home, I saw possibly the worst pass interference call I have ever seen, and it went against Michigan. This week, an Indiana player jumped offsides, so the center (who isn't a center, and had tons of bad snaps today, which kept Indiana in the game) snapped the ball really quick. Tate wasn't prepared, and the offsides wasn't called, resulting in a big loss. Stuff happens. If it wasn't called an INT, it isn't like Indiana was guaranteed a win. They had tons of chances, and Michigan kept holding them to field goals in the red zone. Michigan had tons of bad snaps, because the center was out, and a few turnovers. As much as you guys like to convince yourselves that every call goes Michigan's way, they don't.

No kidding. The interception call was bad. The officials blew it but replay couldn't provide a good enough look to overturn it. That's all it was. The rest is just silly. -(dp)- has it right. Indiana had a ton of chances to put away that game and they couldn't do it. The better team won and has done so in all four of Michigan's games. Are they as good as they're likely going to be ranked this week? Probably not but they're still a whole lot better than last season. Luck ain't got a whole lot to do with them being 4-0. No more luck than any other team anyway. And this is an Ohio State fan saying this kids.

Yes. To reiterate, if Lynch had played more aggressively in the red zone, he could have made it very, very, very hard for Indiana to justify his pending termination at the end of the season. Instead, he did what he always does, which is go conservative with a lead, no matter how small, and it cost him. I still hope for a nice atmosphere against OSU next Saturday, though. And 6 wins look more and more feasible all the time. (Which means it still will be hard for IU to justify firing him.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

#4 Ole Miss gets dominated by South Carolina. #5 Penn State gets manhandled at home by Iowa. #6 Cal gets blown out by Oregon. #7 LSU needs a goal line stand to get by Mississippi State. #9 Miami gets worked over by #11 Virginia Tech. #18 Florida State loses at home to unranked USF. #22 North Carolina loses to Georgia Tech. #23 Michigan has their hands full all day at home against Indiana. #24 Washington comes off their biggest win in years only to lose to Stanford.

So what have we learned here in week 4 of the 2009 college football season?

1. There should not be any polls until at least week 5 of the season because the only thing the polls in the first 4 weeks manage to accomplish is to make a lot of people look awfully stupid.

2. Writers and certain sports networks in the north east are quick to bestow greatness on teams they clearly know nothing about.

3. Coaches believe all the BS the aforementioned writers write and the aforementioned sports network carries on about.

4. Parity is alive and well in Division I football.

5. A loss in week one or two doesn't mean a team we thought was going to be pretty good really isn't. A win in week one or two doesn't mean a team we thought was going to be bad is suddenly really good.

6. We are headed for another long and nasty argument about the BCS come December.

7. That college football is far more interesting and exciting than The NFL.

Class dismissed. :D

Well said, Buckeye.

Thank you Wolverine. I wonder if we'll be this civil towards each other come late November. :D

BB52Big.jpg

#4 Ole Miss gets dominated by South Carolina. #5 Penn State gets manhandled at home by Iowa. #6 Cal gets blown out by Oregon. #7 LSU needs a goal line stand to get by Mississippi State. #9 Miami gets worked over by #11 Virginia Tech. #18 Florida State loses at home to unranked USF. #22 North Carolina loses to Georgia Tech. #23 Michigan has their hands full all day at home against Indiana. #24 Washington comes off their biggest win in years only to lose to Stanford.

1. There should not be any polls until at least week 5 of the season because the only thing the polls in the first 4 weeks manage to accomplish is to make a lot of people look awfully stupid.

2. Writers and certain sports networks in the north east are quick to bestow greatness on teams they clearly know nothing about.

3. Coaches believe all the BS the aforementioned writers write and the aforementioned sports network carries on about.

5. A loss in week one or two doesn't mean a team we thought was going to be pretty good really isn't. A win in week one or two doesn't mean a team we thought was going to be bad is suddenly really good.

6. We are headed for another long and nasty argument about the BCS come December.

Well said, Buckeye.

Thank you Wolverine. I wonder if we'll be this civil towards each other come late November. :D

Haha, as long you keep speaking the truth!

I have to admit, I too was in the "Indiana got screwed" camp until I saw this:

Endzone_1_medium.JPG

Endzone_2_medium.JPG

Endzone_3_medium.JPG

Endzone_4_medium.JPG

Endzone_5_medium.JPG

To my untrained amateur eye, it sure looks like Michigan player gained possession of the ball first, THEN the Indiana player grabbed hold of it.

I was worried about a letdown for the Huskies, and lookie here: You see, I watched a little bit of the game and I knew trouble was coming the moment Stanford took the opening kickoff for a TD.

Boy, sometime those reality checks really hurt more then any loss can do.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Armanti Edwards in the rain:

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

So our first play from scrimmage we have a 79 yard TD strike. We don't get another TD.

Then we have 20 play scoring FG drive to make it 10-0. We don't get inside the Iowa 30 again.

Clark looked awful last night, we just sucked, and now it's looking like we're gearing up for another Capital One or Outback bowl or something...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Week 5 AP Poll

1 Florida (55) 4-0 1490

2 Texas (1) 4-0 1420

3 Alabama (4) 4-0 1400

4 LSU 4-0 1225

5 Boise State 4-0 1203

6 Virginia Tech 3-1 1190

7 USC 3-1 998

8 Oklahoma 2-1 979

9 Ohio State 3-1 957

10 Cincinnati 4-0 946

11 TCU 3-0 896

12 Houston 3-0 844

13 Iowa 4-0 788

14 Oklahoma State 3-1 591

15 Penn State 3-1 470

16 Oregon 3-1 462

17 Miami (FL) 2-1 452

18 Kansas 4-0 418

18 Georgia 3-1 418

20 Brigham Young 3-1 349

21 Mississippi 2-1 340

22 Michigan 4-0 271

23 Nebraska 3-1 256

24 California 3-1 206

25 Georgia Tech 3-1 185

Dropped from rankings: Florida State 18, North Carolina 22, Washington 24

Others receiving votes: Missouri 175, Auburn 171, South Carolina 154, South Florida 145, UCLA 41, Utah 25, Wisconsin 20, Notre Dame 7, Arizona State 4, Stanford 2, North Carolina 2

Big Games this weekend

#22 Michigan at Michigan State

#4 LSU at #18 Georgia

#7 USC at #24 California

#8 Oklahoma at #17 Miami (FL)

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Ummmm.....AP? Iowa almost lost to Northern Iowa.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Week 5 AP Poll

1 Florida (55) 4-0 1490

2 Texas (1) 4-0 1420

3 Alabama (4) 4-0 1400

4 LSU 4-0 1225

5 Boise State 4-0 1203

6 Virginia Tech 3-1 1190

7 USC 3-1 998

8 Oklahoma 2-1 979

9 Ohio State 3-1 957

10 Cincinnati 4-0 946

11 TCU 3-0 896

12 Houston 3-0 844

13 Iowa 4-0 788

15 Penn State 3-1 470

16 Oregon 3-1 462

17 Miami (FL) 2-1 452

18 Kansas 4-0 418

18 Georgia 3-1 418

20 Brigham Young 3-1 349

21 Mississippi 2-1 340

22 Michigan 4-0 271

23 Nebraska 3-1 256

24 California 3-1 206

25 Georgia Tech 3-1 185

Dropped from rankings: Florida State 18, North Carolina 22, Washington 24

Others receiving votes: Missouri 175, Auburn 171, South Carolina 154, South Florida 145, UCLA 41, Utah 25, Wisconsin 20, Notre Dame 7, Arizona State 4, Stanford 2, North Carolina 2

Big Games this weekend

#22 Michigan at Michigan State

#4 LSU at #18 Georgia

#7 USC at #24 California

#8 Oklahoma at #17 Miami (FL)

If you needed any further proof that the media has it's collective head up it's collective ass look no further than Iowa jumping from unranked to #13. Maybe Penn State wasn't really that good to begin with (see Ole Miss and Cal.) I'm not saying Iowa is overrated at #13...actually that's exactly what I am saying.

This is ridiculous. The media decides Penn State is a top ten team based on...well nothing other than the fact that they're Penn State. Penn State beats three cupcakes and cements their top ten ranking in the minds of these morons. Then a good Iowa team comes in and beats an overrated Penn State so the media decides that since Iowa beat a team that they thought was top ten then Iowa must be a whole lot better than originally thought so let's move them from nowhere to #13 in the country. :censored:-ing idiots. No offense to Hawkeyes fans but this is absurd.

And just for kicks, how many people here would bet on #13 Iowa to beat unranked Auburn?

BB52Big.jpg

I'm very proud of Houston at #12, going into Stillwater and beating OK State and then beating a high scoring Texas Tech team, but I do believe out of the next 2 games they might be in trouble.

Going to UTEP then going to Miss State even if they get by those two teams Southern Miss is lurking on Halloween night.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Week 5 AP Poll

1 Florida (55) 4-0 1490

2 Texas (1) 4-0 1420

3 Alabama (4) 4-0 1400

4 LSU 4-0 1225

5 Boise State 4-0 1203

6 Virginia Tech 3-1 1190

7 USC 3-1 998

8 Oklahoma 2-1 979

9 Ohio State 3-1 957

10 Cincinnati 4-0 946

11 TCU 3-0 896

12 Houston 3-0 844

13 Iowa 4-0 788

15 Penn State 3-1 470

16 Oregon 3-1 462

17 Miami (FL) 2-1 452

18 Kansas 4-0 418

18 Georgia 3-1 418

20 Brigham Young 3-1 349

21 Mississippi 2-1 340

22 Michigan 4-0 271

23 Nebraska 3-1 256

24 California 3-1 206

25 Georgia Tech 3-1 185

Thoughts--

1. Ole Miss drops from #4 to #21 with one loss? Has any team EVER fallen THAT far in one week?

2. LSU will be next in line for a fall, probably this week in Georgia, maybe next weekvs. Florida. I am as big a Tiger fan as any, but this team is FAR from being the 4th best team in the country... As opposed to the 2007 squad, this year's team lacks chemistry, lacks great talent, and is very, very sloppy. CAse in point: Two high snaps over the punter's head in two consectutive games, both of which result in scores by the other team, simply should not happen.

It is what it is.

I don't know if it makes it more interesting. Upsets are way too common and if they are common then they aren't upsets, and that's what was fun 4-5 years ago, was a team would be upset by a team and you'd have a week where it was upset Saturday. Now all the teams are even due to lack of scholarships and tv time and top notch athletes are going to mid and lower level programs. Though I will say that I foresee this going away real soon and everyone needs to watch out because quietly the face of college football has changed and no one has said a peep about it. What is that change? The SEC. Their television contract monopolizes or close to it, just about all major networks. Don't believe me? Well they have CBS, just recently signed on with ESPN/ABC, the are on Fox Sports Net, so basically the only major network they don't have a presence on yet is NBC. Games I caught a glimps of this week and I live in SoCal:

Ole Miss-South Carolina ESPN

LSU-Mississippi State (on a local channel that this year is carrying SEC games) ESPN game

Florida-Kentucky ESPN 2

Arizona State-Georgia ESPN U

Arkansas-Alabama CBS

Ball State-Auburn (11:30 PM local) on FSN

In one day I saw 10 of the 12 teams playing and I'm no where close to being in the South. This is going to have a huge impact on recruiting down the line. If you think that the SEC is a good conference now, just wait 5-10 years down the line when the kids who are watching these games start choosing SEC schools. I promise that there will be a separation of conferences, it will be the SEC head and shoulders above the rest and it would shock me to see it where there's 6 SEC teams in the top 10 of the polls year in and year out.

Recruiting won't be affected all that much....a hefty percentage of the football players in the SEC come from Alabama, Florida, and Georgia: three states that have some of the most talented high-school players around. Just as the Pac-10 is fueled by high-schoolers from California and the Big-XII is fueled by high-schoolers from Texas, the SEC is made up mostly of home-grown talent. The NCAA won't relax their limits on recruiting, they've seen how successful it's made college football today.

However, CBS and ESPN realized that no matter which games were on, those games involving SEC teams were getting the most viewership across the nation. That's why they made these 15-year television deals with the SEC....more-tenured deals/investments than what these networks have with the NFL, NBA, and the Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Thoughts--

1. Ole Miss drops from #4 to #21 with one loss? Has any team EVER fallen THAT far in one week?

2. LSU will be next in line for a fall, probably this week in Georgia, maybe next weekvs. Florida. I am as big a Tiger fan as any, but this team is FAR from being the 4th best team in the country... As opposed to the 2007 squad, this year's team lacks chemistry, lacks great talent, and is very, very sloppy. CAse in point: Two high snaps over the punter's head in two consectutive games, both of which result in scores by the other team, simply should not happen.

Michigan went from #5 to unranked (T-#32)in the AP and #5 (with 2 first place votes) to unranked (#27) following their loss to "Hot Hot Hot" State in 2007.

Today, we are all otaku.

Gameday coming to Chestnut Hill! Makes no sense whatsoever but who cares! Go Eagles! (Let's not embarrass ourselves too much here ;))

gamedays going to the boston college vs. florida st. game ? why must they pick such a bad game ? couldnt they go to athens, miami, or berkley ?

glossysig5.png

Gameday coming to Chestnut Hill! Makes no sense whatsoever but who cares! Go Eagles! (Let's not embarrass ourselves too much here ;))

gamedays going to the boston college vs. florida st. game ? why must they pick such a bad game ? couldnt they go to athens, miami, or berkley ?

1-Even if Miami was unbeaten, the show would be in a parking lot at Landshark Stadium. 35 miles away from campus. There would not have been much of a crowd.

2-Berkeley still has two, one loss teams. Plus the cost of transport from State College to CA could be seen as too steep for that game.

3-They will heavily feature the story of LB Mark Herzlich.

4-If CBS has a game, they do their best to avoid that stadium.

The fact that the home team in 2 of the above locales are coming off of losses utter and complete ass violations in the most graphic sense and the third team barely beat Arizona State probably has something to do with it.

(Also, they are probably doing LSU-Florida next week, which is Georgia's opponent.)

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived