2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

haven't read the conversation recently, but that had to be the most predictable upset of a top 5 team I've ever seen. You've got a team going on the road in the SEC (always hard) who now thinks they're better than they are and their new big time ranking begging South Carolina to step up and play their best. I'm not surprised at all that they lost last night.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.... they don't play Florida or Georgia

...damn lucky; LSU has to play both. Shoot, how'd we wind up with Florida as our permanent SEC East opponent? :therock:

....and they still get to go to Atlanta in early December.

Which brings up an interesting factoid-- since the SEC went to 2 divisions and instituted an SEC Championship Game, the west has been more balanced in terms of level of competition. Only Ole Miss has not won the west; if they won this would be their first. In the east, it's a much more lopsided affair; it's always been Georgia, Florida or Tennessee as SEC East champs with South Carolina, Kentucky and Vandy on the outside looking in.....

It is what it is.

One good thing about the SEC: Unlike other conferences :cough, Big Ten, cough:, If a team is overrated, they'll play enough tough teams that they'll be eventually be exposed as a pretender.

South Carolina got exposed in 2007 after they rose to 5th in the nation. This time, they got to do the exposing.

One good thing about the SEC: Unlike other conferences :cough, Big Ten, cough:, If a team is overrated, they'll play enough tough teams that they'll be eventually be exposed as a pretender.

South Carolina got exposed in 2007 after they rose to 5th in the nation. This time, they got to do the exposing.

Says the guy with that ACC football powerhouse UNC as his avatar. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Hey, hey, hey. ACC teams happen to be very good at exposing each other as pretenders, thankyouverymuch. :P

Hey, hey, hey. ACC teams happen to be very good at exposing each other as pretenders, thankyouverymuch. :P

Hey hey now...as a die-hard Seminole fan, I resent that remark.

If only because the truth hurts... :down:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Hey hey now...as a die-hard Seminole fan, I resent that remark.

If only because the truth hurts... :down:

Hey at least no one laughs at the 'Noles. Well at least no one can question our loyalty to our overrated teams right?

BB52Big.jpg

I dunno... I can't help but chuckle every time a Big Ten school lays an egg during bowl season.

When it comes to Ohio State though.. the chuckle becomes a full blown laugh/EPIC FAIL facepalm of doom combination.

Including themselves. The thing is, can you name a team out there that really isn't a pretender? I can't think of any team that scares me and who I think is good enough to guarantee that they will go undefeated or whatever. From what I've seen so far, every team is very vulnerable and yes that does include Boise State. If Florida struggled with Tennessee, they are very vulnerable and that vulnerability might be they think they are so good that they can sleep walk out there. If it's true that Tebow had to motivate them in the Championship game last year, and then of course there was the loss to Mississippi, it wouldn't shock me to see Florida lose. I personally think all teams are overrated in September. Let's hold until we have seen these teams play 3 or 4 times before we rank them. That's the problem, is that you have sports writers who are guessing in August who's better than who. From what I've seen, all the teams have a weakness that can be exposed.

I dunno... I can't help but chuckle every time a Big Ten school lays an egg during bowl season.

When it comes to Ohio State though.. the chuckle becomes a full blown laugh/EPIC FAIL facepalm of doom combination.

I don't think I'd get too caught up in making fun of mediocre teams if I were you. Aren't you a Seahawks fan?

BB52Big.jpg

As opposed to the Pac 10 which saves its egg laying for the regular season. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As opposed to the Pac 10 which saves its egg laying for the regular season. :rolleyes:

Better to do it midseason than in front of the entire college football world. Trust me on this one.

BB52Big.jpg

Is it the BigTen's fault that almost every year their premier team usually plays in what ends up being a home game for USC at the Rose Bowl? Now, I'm not making any excuses for Ohio State and their failures in big games (except against Michigan in '06... eh.) but can you really count Illinois or Penn State or Michigan (twice) getting blasted by USC every year in the Rose Bowl as "laying eggs"?

Maybe if someone other than Oregon and Cal would challenge USC for the PAC-10 title every year, the Big Ten's bowl record doesn't look as bad.

FSU's having a harder time holding onto the ball than they do paying for shoes! (Or not cheating in classes, they really give you a lot to choose from.) :P

I was worried when Grothe went down last week. But Daniels is looking good, much better physical tools but he needs the experience.

And there's a TD!

At some point, someone is going to mention to the ESPN halftime chick that Indiana is beating Michigan by two, not the other way around. It will be awkward(ly hilarious).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived