2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

massive laughs to the Saints. Who dey? nah, where dey? :blink:

Um, it's 'Who Dat?' for the Saints. The Bengals are the 'Who Dey?' bunch. At least get your insults right. :P

If the Saints continue to play the way they have lately, laugh away, they'll deserve it. If getting several starters back on each side of the ball and having a couple weeks' rest and preparation time allows them to reload and get back into early season form, I don't think you'll be laughing any more.

And btw, I'll take 13-3 every year. What's YOUR team's record? B)

As for the Falcons, yeah, congrats on the back-to-back winning seasons thing. It's good to get that monkey off their backs, though the only thing that really changes is that the commentators and local sports talk radio knuckleheads will now remark on how they've only had back-to-back winning seasons once since '66 instead of never.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'm asking this as someone who never really paid attention to the Broncos:

Was Shannahan really that great of a coach? He won two SBs, which nobody can take away from him, but he had a HOF QB and a fantastic RB. Since then, he won only one playoff game (I think)? From what I can remember, the Broncos weren't really ever thought of as legit contenders, though I could be mistaken about that. It just seems that this whole Shanahan love fest is based on two SBs that happened 11 years ago, and not the entire body of work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Shanahan's win loss is 146-95 ( .605%)Not tooo bad considering the Broncos have never really really replaced Elway under center. Worst single season record 6-10 (Only ever lost 10 games in a season once). Other than in the Superbowl seasons he has only won 1 post season game, I guess thats a concern, but then again getting to the playoffs would be a step forward for the 'Skins.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think Shanahan is a good coach. He can sure put together a running game, that's for sure. After Terrell Davis left, he made 1000 yard rushers out of Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell. He also made the AFC Championship Game with Jake Freakin' Plummer as his QB. The man can coach an offense, and outside of last year, his defenses haven't been too shabby either.

...then again getting to the playoffs would be a step forward for the 'Skins.

Easy to forget they were a playoff team in '07 and '05.

True enough, but no head coach has left the club with a winning record since Joe Gibbs ended his first spell in 1992. (Including Gibbs' second spell). And only Gibbs and Norv Turner have taken the team to the playoffs in that period.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Tom Brady has won the Best Player Who Was Hurt Last Season Comeback Player of the Year award.

Still think Carson Palmer deserved that a little more. Bengals won more games than the Patriots, and the Palmerless Bengals did awful last year, whilst the Patriots actually won more games with Cassell under center in 08 rather than Brady under center in 09.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

...then again getting to the playoffs would be a step forward for the 'Skins.

Easy to forget they were a playoff team in '07 and '05.

True enough, but no head coach has left the club with a winning record since Joe Gibbs ended his first spell in 1992. (Including Gibbs' second spell). And only Gibbs and Norv Turner have taken the team to the playoffs in that period.

Me thinks that might have a bit more to do with ownership than anything else.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Tom Brady has won the Best Player Who Was Hurt Last Season Comeback Player of the Year award.

Still think Carson Palmer deserved that a little more. Bengals won more games than the Patriots, and the Palmerless Bengals did awful this year, whilst the Patriots actually won more games with Cassell under center in 08 rather than Brady under center in 09.

Brady plays for New England. Do I need to explain it any further?

BB52Big.jpg

Percy Harvin has won the Offensive Rookie of the Year no surprise there and just like Cushing and the DROY it was also won by a wide margin.

Percy Harvin 41

Michael Oher 6

Jeremy Maclin 1

Knowshon Moreno 1

Mike Wallace 1

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't know if infrared was sarcastic or not, but I really think Mangini should not be fired after one year (and I'm not just saying that because I hope they do terrible because the Bengals play in the same division). I don't think any coach should be fired after only one season. But, and I'm not saying this to talk down to the Browns and their fans, but I don't think many other available coaches could have done a much better job with the team they trotted out thsi year.

I wonder if you'll be saying that when they're 2-8 next year. :P

Probably not but everyone's an optimist in January. If I'm wrong next season I'll admit I was wrong. Which leads me to this...

Eric Mangini remains head coach of The Browns. Great move Mike Holmgren. He deserved one more season.

Story

What a homer. rolleyes.gif

How the :censored: do you figure that? The guy deserved a second season. I'd have said the same thing if I were a Steelers fan. :censored: you and your rolling eyes. I am getting sick and tired of being called a homer around here by people who don't have a :censored:-ing clue. Anyone who knows me knows that I am anything but a homer. Kiss my ass Jimmy! (the exclamation point isn't for emphasis. it's part of his screen name.)

And no fnz I wasn't being sarcastic. The fact that Mangini got that lousy team to play the way they played over the last 5 weeks is enough for me to think he deserved at least one more season. I said this earlier in the thread; The Browns aren't out a thing by giving Mangini one more season. If it works then great. If it doesn't, they're no worse off than they would have been by starting from scratch after this season.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived