2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that bothers me the most out of this whole situation is the fact that the Colts got to play playoff gods here.

The Colts played Houston twice trying to win the game, and won both times.

The Colts played Jacksonville twice trying to win the game, and won both times.

The Colts played Denver once trying to win the game, and won.

The Colts played Miami once trying to win the game, and won.

The Colts played the Jets once trying to lose, and lost.

My point is, why did the Colts play to lose against the Jets, letting them into the playoffs but not Jacksonville, Houston, Miami, and Denver.

I'm not attacking the Jets, they're a quality football team, but they're getting into the playoffs by beating a team that played their back-ups in the middle of a close game.

So, I conclude this mini-rant with...

Go Jets, Beat the Colts in the Divisionals!

6fQjS3M.png

Can someone explain how the Cards are back in the playoffs after losing in Super Bowl XLIII while the Super Bowl Champs Steelers are not in the playoffs?

Five game losing streaks in the middle of the season tend to have a negative effect on one's playoff chances.

concerning the cowboys, i was wrong about the december collapse. I thought they were going to get blown out 3 of the last 4 games of december. They won the east, beat the philthy eagles and are going to the playoffs. I was wrong, i have no credibility and i suck. :grin:

massive laughs to the Saints. Who dey? nah, where dey? :blink:

and for the giants, massive :censored:ing ROTFLMAO to the Giants losing to the Favreness and all his holyness. Because it is in Favre we trust.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Say...

How about these Panthers finishing the season strong against 3 great teams?

The showed up the Vikes and Peppers smothered Favre.

They made the Giants look silly in their final game in the Meadowlands.

They beat the previously unbeaten Saints, although New Orleans they rested some of their starters.

Had they know Matt Moore and Jonathan Stewart would carry the load, why weren't they put in earlier this season?

8-8 is disappointing after last year's division title, but Matt Moore has to be one of the silveriest of silver linings in the NFL this season. Between Delhomme's stupidly huge contract and no first round draft pick, the Panthers looked like they were screwed at quarterback for next year. Now we have a legitimate starter for 2010 and possibly beyond.

Of course, this is assuming Fox can resist the temptation to start Delhomme if both are back with the team next season. :/

As for Stewart, he wasn't carrying the load as much earlier in the season because of the Panthers' other 1,000 yard stud, DeAngelo Williams. Can't really fault the coaches on that one.

Baltimore? They're in... And New England better be careful they don't get bitten by the upset bug.

It's funny, on if you told me on October 5th we'd be playing the Patriots in the first round of the playoffs I'd have been thrilled. However I think we've actually become a worse team since that game. I really can't see us pulling this game out. But who knows, anything can happen in the playoffs. Maybe the lose of Welker will help us. It will certainly make the secondary's job easier and they could use all the help they can get.

Also when was the last time, if ever, that the Super Bowl champs failed to make the playoffs the following year?

Baltimore? They're in... And New England better be careful they don't get bitten by the upset bug.

It's funny, on if you told me on October 5th we'd be playing the Patriots in the first round of the playoffs I'd have been thrilled. However I think we've actually become a worse team since that game. I really can't see us pulling this game out. But who knows, anything can happen in the playoffs. Maybe the lose of Welker will help us. It will certainly make the secondary's job easier and they could use all the help they can get.

Also when was the last time, if ever, that the Super Bowl champs failed to make the playoffs the following year?

Steelers in 2006.

The Jets playing on NBC is like hell freezing over. This is the first time in 4 years that's happening :P

I've gotta believe, same goes for Cincy.

Indeed, Hell HAS frozen over!

If Satan didn't have his coat on him now, he will next week. The Jets and Bengals are gonna (for all intent purposes) on NBC AGAIN next week. What in the world's going on here? :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Happens quite a bit. Patriots failed to make the playoffs following their first Super Bowl. The Bucs also did -- I think the Steelers might have also after they beat the Seahawks. As did the Brian Griese led Broncos the year after Elways retirement.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Jets playing on NBC is like hell freezing over. This is the first time in 4 years that's happening :P

I've gotta believe, same goes for Cincy.

Indeed, Hell HAS frozen over!

If Satan didn't have his coat on him now, he will next week. The Jets and Bengals are gonna (for all intent purposes) on NBC AGAIN next week. What in the world's going on here? :P

Brett Favre has a bye week?

BB52Big.jpg

The Jets have just become the first team in NFL history to rest some of their starters in a game that they need to win to make the playoffs. The Bengals better have more intensity next week, and I think they will, if they're going to beat this New York Jets team in the playoffs. I can't say I'm surprised. Their gameplan has been terribly vanilla all night long. I predict a closer game next week, but tonight's effort has significantly reduced my confidence.

If there's a silver lining it's that the Bengals will come back pissed off and this could lure the Jets into a false sense of security. Another silver lining is that the Steelers missed the playoffs and if you told me at the Beginning of the Season that the Bengals would win the division and host the New York Jets in the first round, I would've been beside myself with happiness.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So, when the day started seven teams had a shot at the wild card...

Miami? Nope... they were mistaken for Tuna and got canned.

Jacksonville? Nope... Their hide was used as the new throw rug for Jerome Harrison.

Pittsburgh? Nope... When Baltimore won, their hopes were melted.

Denver? Nope... Thanks to Jamaal Charles, they got sent to the glue factory.

Houston? Maybe... As long as the Jets use the same script the Giants had for their Meadowlands finale.

New York? Maybe... As long as Cincy feels comfortable with the idea of a rematch next week.

This goes a long way towards explaining why you can't come up with a better Ohio State insult than "yuckeyes" or "suckeyes." :D

BB52Big.jpg

I've never been prouder of the Falcons. Win 3 straight games to make it back to back winning seasons. The Falcons D came up huge these past three games and our corners don't look so bad now. Owens and Grimes is a pretty good combo when they're both playing well.

Not to take away from the Falcons' secondary, but their opposing QB's the last three weeks were Mark Sanchez, Brian Brohm, and Josh Freeman. They aren't exactly Elway, Montana, and Brady.

But the defense stepped up, and the team made history...that's all I could ask for.

The thing that bothers me the most out of this whole situation is the fact that the Colts got to play playoff gods here.

The Colts played Houston twice trying to win the game, and won both times.

The Colts played Jacksonville twice trying to win the game, and won both times.

The Colts played Denver once trying to win the game, and won.

The Colts played Miami once trying to win the game, and won.

The Colts played the Jets once trying to lose, and lost.

My point is, why did the Colts play to lose against the Jets, letting them into the playoffs but not Jacksonville, Houston, Miami, and Denver.

I'm not attacking the Jets, they're a quality football team, but they're getting into the playoffs by beating a team that played their back-ups in the middle of a close game.

These teams had plenty of other games that they lost....kinda hard to blame the Colts. Especially when you're losing to teams such as Oakland and Kansas City...at home.

Weird quirk from this season, the Jets-Bengals rematch next week will be one of 3 first round playoff games that will be a rematch of the last game of the season.

Cowboys-Eagles

Bengals-Jets

Cardinals-Packers

In the case of the Cards-Packers, and Cowboys-Eagles the next game will be in the same stadium as the first.

How many times has that ever happened in the past?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'd like to nominate Jim Caldwell for Coach of the Year.

He obviously knows exactly what he's doing.

This team looks primed for a Super Bowl run.

<_<

Almost 3 weeks of rest for a complex, moving parts, precision offense? For a defense that relies on schemes, proper execution and attentiveness?

That seems just great... SUPER if you will.

Gah.

This better work.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Archived