2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

I mean granted he had a really bad game, but Kurt Warner became the first QB to throw over 14,000 yards with two teams. Where's his love?

Good for Kurt, but it's hard to love a guy who throws 5 INT's in a game.

My point is that had it been Farve, even if he achieved it during an otherwise awful performance, the commentators would be playing it up as the greatest achievement in the history of mankind.

The fawning dick suckers commentators certainly would have blamed the receivers, offensive line, coaches, play calling, the jet stream, fans for breathing affecting Favre's throw, people at home for not paying attention, etc. None of those picks would have been St. Brett's fault at all in any way, shape, or form.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean granted he had a really bad game, but Kurt Warner became the first QB to throw over 14,000 yards with two teams. Where's his love?

Good for Kurt, but it's hard to love a guy who throws 5 INT's in a game.

My point is that had it been Farve, even if he achieved it during an otherwise awful performance, the commentators would be playing it up as the greatest achievement in the history of mankind.

The fawning dick suckers commentators certainly would have blamed the receivers, offensive line, coaches, play calling, the jet stream, fans for breathing affecting Favre's throw, people at home for not paying attention, etc. None of those picks would have been St. Brett's fault at all in any way, shape, or form.

Cuz...you know...he's just "playing the game the way it was meant to be played"..."with such boyish enthusiasm"..."just having fun out there".

I just like how last week and the week before that he kinda just "casually mentioned" that his shoulder was feeling kinda sore (or something like that) and he made sure to mention the offseason bicep surgery just once...just to "keep it out there". Methinks he's setting up for the line of excuses that may come once we hit the south side of week nine and all those glorious throws start being caught by players running the other way.

Yes...I am still a skeptic. Let's see him keep this up through the season...and then I'll retract that statement.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Moorman and Lindell have been solid

Eesh! Sounds like a Raider fan touting Lechler and Janikowski. I suppose it's better than having a bad kicking game, though.

Haha, well they have been good. Their only great part of the team is Special Teams, minus the fumbles by McKelvin and Parrish. Their Punter is top 5 in the league, Lindell is underrated and their kick coverage is up near the top of the league. I wish I could say their Offense or Defense was as good as the Special Teams, but they are the Bills.

saBS.png

Really? No Sunday Night game??

I know the game would be up against Game 4 of the World Series, but I'm pretty sure I know more football fans than baseball -- In other words, SNF would probably win in ratings.

I think that's the point of not having a World Series game against a Sunday night NFL game. It's the NFL doing MLB a favor.

Technically since NBC gets the premiere Thursday night game they have to give up one of their games and the week of the Series makes the most sense. NBC and ESPN each get 2 Week 1 games and there's not a Monday Night game in Week 17 so NBC has to take a week off.

It's also why in years where the Super Bowl is on FOX or CBS, the other network gets the 9 doubleheaders.

6fQjS3M.png

Looks like the Falcons are headed towards 4-3. They gave the Saints a whale of a game, though, and are still doing so as I type. That's one thing that I like about the Falcons: Normally when I see the Falcons in a situation like this, they've historically folded and just died. Not these Falcons, they will keep on playing until the whistle blows.

But yeah, I'm kinda miffed that Turner would FINALLY show up when the Iceman goes cold. But I've gotta give the Saints props. They are just as good as advertised, on both sides of the ball. They're gonna go 14-2, easy.

It kills me to say it, but that loss was on Matty Ice. down the stretch he just didn't have it, and I could almost see him learning on the job. He shouldn't have taken the sack, he should have ran out of the pocket on the last throw, and on the turnover on downs he should have done a little more. The game reminded me of the Miracle in Blacksburg from '07 if we have any Virginia Tech fans here (muahaha), very eerily similar endings, but this turned out differently. It really killed me to see that because Coy Wire made a few bonafide determination plays there (did you see that onside kick pile... wow) and if Mike Bell were on the Patriots I would have been furious on the spot. With all that crazy shizz happening at the end, you almost felt like the Falcons were destined to win. Not to be, I guess. Oh well, I think Matt Ryan will gain some valuable experience from this and in the future, will be more able and likely to pull those games out. Great game though. Vilma really changed the game with that tip.

- Terrell Owens has been a disaster. Seems to drop more balls than he catches, and then sulks about not getting the ball. Terrible body language, runs lackadaisical routes. I actually want him to explode on this team, just to shake things up. It would be by far the most interesting thing to happen to this team this year.

i know when dallas let go of owens people were wondering how they were going to replace him. i was saying, hes not that big of a loss. He didn't do a whole hell of a lot in dallas plus they are better off.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Looks like the Falcons are headed towards 4-3. They gave the Saints a whale of a game, though, and are still doing so as I type. That's one thing that I like about the Falcons: Normally when I see the Falcons in a situation like this, they've historically folded and just died. Not these Falcons, they will keep on playing until the whistle blows.

But yeah, I'm kinda miffed that Turner would FINALLY show up when the Iceman goes cold. But I've gotta give the Saints props. They are just as good as advertised, on both sides of the ball. They're gonna go 14-2, easy.

What a game. Have to hand it to the Falcons. I thought the Saints might steamroll 'em but they made plays and made it a little too interesting for my liking. The Saints have got to reel in those turnovers and start protecting Brees. He's taken some absolutely monster shots this season.

Props to Wire or whatever his damn name is for two amazing "want to" plays, and to Brent Grimes for that ridiculous leaping interception. There's no way he should have been able to reach that ball. Can't fault the Saint who muffed the onsides kick though I wish he'd waited on the hop 'cause I think it would've flown right to him. Thought the uncalled offensive PI on the TD to White was pretty obvious, especially since they'd called it earlier on Devery Henderson, but hey, all's well that ends well.

I'll bet everyone in Atlanta knows the name Pierre Thomas, don't they? Guy is a Falcon-killer. Last year in the 'dome it was his 88-yard KO return and subsequent TD run that sank Atlanta.

Interesting that Jabari Greer was asked this week about the pick-sixes other DBs have had and said, "I have to think it's my time." And it was!

You know, back in the day I didn't live in the Atlanta area and there was far less national media, no internet, etc., so you didn't know nearly as much as you do now about players and teams around the league. It was very easy (and fun!) to hate the Falcons just because, well, they were the Falcons. All you had was the history between the teams. I moved to Georgia in '01 and the Mora/Vick era made it easy to keep hatin' on 'em, but now it's a little harder. Arthur Blank is a class act if a little gullible and slow to get to hiring the right people; Mike Smith is a good coach who fields tough, competitive teams; and they have players like Curtis Lofton and Matt Ryan who are also class acts and pretty good ballplayers to boot (struggling not to gag while typing), guys I'd root for if only they didn't wear the nosediving bird on their helmets. My point? I still hate 'em, it's just a little harder now. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I thought by this time in the season the Falcons would still be fighting for a division title after going 11-5 last year. Now they might as well settle for a wild card. (with the history it wouldn't be so bad, but it looks a little predictable now)

Atlanta comes up short yet again!

What a game. Have to hand it to the Falcons. I thought the Saints might steamroll 'em but they made plays and made it a little too interesting for my liking. The Saints have got to reel in those turnovers and start protecting Brees. He's taken some absolutely monster shots this season.

Props to Wire or whatever his damn name is for two amazing "want to" plays, and to Brent Grimes for that ridiculous leaping interception. There's no way he should have been able to reach that ball. Can't fault the Saint who muffed the onsides kick though I wish he'd waited on the hop 'cause I think it would've flown right to him. Thought the uncalled offensive PI on the TD to White was pretty obvious, especially since they'd called it earlier on Devery Henderson, but hey, all's well that ends well.

It's not very often where one feels confident in their team after they lose a game, but this is one of those times. The Falcons defense played pretty damn great in the second half, and players made some key plays in the game to keep themselves in contention, such as Grimes' interception, Turner's 20-yard rush after looking like he'd be stopped for a 2-3 yard gain, and Wire stealing the ball from Bell late in the game AND recovering the onside kick. The Falcons just couldn't get that one play to put them over the hump.

The Saints are a lot more beatable than folks are thinking. Their defense is heavily-reliant on their risk-reward scheme, and their offensive line is having trouble protecting Brees.

The Saints still have two with Carolina (a team that's ridiculously bi-polar), games against New England and Dallas (two teams that are currently on hot sreaks). and a trip to the Georgia Dome.

From an article on nola.com:

===

The Saints have scored six defensive touchdowns in seven games this season. That's more than they've scored in the previous six seasons combined. It's more than the Cleveland Browns offense has scored this season.

===

:blink:

That aside, I fear they're going down this week. Carolina's had the Saints' number the last few years and the Saints may still have a MNF hangover come Sunday. We'll see.

So long as that O-line gives Drew some good protection (read: keep Brees mostly clean) and the Saints can go up early, like, say, 14-0 or even 14-3, they should be okay. Because if they force the Panthers to have to play from behind early, well...do I even need to mention Jake Delhomme's name right now? (Couple that with the stat line you just mentioned and, well...do the math. :D )

Of course...this IS why they play the games, though, isn't it??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

From an article on nola.com:

===

The Saints have scored six defensive touchdowns in seven games this season. That's more than they've scored in the previous six seasons combined. It's more than the Cleveland Browns offense has scored this season.

===

And people in the 0-16 thread are wondering why I think the 2009 Browns are the worst team in NFL history.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

So long as that O-line gives Drew some good protection (read: keep Brees mostly clean) and the Saints can go up early, like, say, 14-0 or even 14-3, they should be okay. Because if they force the Panthers to have to play from behind early, well...do I even need to mention Jake Delhomme's name right now? (Couple that with the stat line you just mentioned and, well...do the math. :D )

Of course...this IS why they play the games, though, isn't it??

Yes it is.

Sorry about the Bucs this year, man. Could they have picked a more appropriate season to break out the creamsicles? It's almost like a cruel joke or something.

Going back to Saints-Falcons, that run by Michael Turner where he left several Saints literally strewn in his path would have been comical if the Saints had done it to them. :P Seriously, now Falcons fans have a play like Deuce's demolition of that Falcons' safety (whose name escapes me at the moment) a few years back. Turner made 'em look foolish on that one. Check the highlights, you'll know it when you see it.

Archived