2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Who? Really Why does the NFL want them? They have had drug issues and they are OLD! But this was know two weeks ago.

Why does the NFL want The Who? I don't know, maybe because they're :censored:-ing incredible? Who would you prefer, Britney Spears or Maroon 5 or someone?

Youth is truly wasted on the young, although to be honest, dfwabel acts more like he's about 70 most of the time. :D

Hey the kids are alright, I'm 17 and have a good amount of The Who on my ipod. Don't go generalizing all youngsters.

The Who? Really Why does the NFL want them? They have had drug issues and they are OLD! But this was know two weeks ago.

Why does the NFL want The Who? I don't know, maybe because they're :censored:-ing incredible? Who would you prefer, Britney Spears or Maroon 5 or someone?

Youth is truly wasted on the young, although to be honest, dfwabel acts more like he's about 70 most of the time. :D

Hey the kids are alright, I'm 17 and have a good amount of The Who on my ipod. Don't go generalizing all youngsters.

My mistake. Kudos to you for being young and still managing to have good taste in music. That's a rare combination any more.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Why does the NFL want The Who? I don't know, maybe because they're censored.gif-ing incredible? Who would you prefer, Britney Spears or Maroon 5 or someone?

I've no objections to universally popular established rock bands for Super Bowl halftime, but c'mon man, 50% of the Who is dead. To what extent are you really seeing the Who without them? I mean, I guess Pete and Roger can still do "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" well enough, but it's artificial; a bone thrown to the aging boomers. I had my fingers crossed for U2. They haven't made a good album in 14 years, but they can still do a compelling live show and you can trust them to play the hits. Springsteen hadn't made a good album since Born to Run and his show was awesome.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why does the NFL want The Who? I don't know, maybe because they're censored.gif-ing incredible? Who would you prefer, Britney Spears or Maroon 5 or someone?

I've no objections to universally popular established rock bands for Super Bowl halftime, but c'mon man, 50% of the Who is dead. To what extent are you really seeing the Who without them? I mean, I guess Pete and Roger can still do "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" well enough, but it's artificial; a bone thrown to the aging boomers. I had my fingers crossed for U2. They haven't made a good album in 14 years, but they can still do a compelling live show and you can trust them to play the hits. Springsteen hadn't made a good album since Born to Run and his show was awesome.

As long as it's Pete and Roger it's worth watching. And one half of The Who is still better than the full band of any current act.

BB52Big.jpg

As long as it's Pete and Roger it's worth watching. And one half of The Who is still better than the full band of any current act.

Not that I really watch the Super Bowl halftime, but I'm good with The Who. Some of their stuff still makes be beat the steering wheel in my truck when it comes on. ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

Pete and Roger are good, but don't do the whole paleorockism thing. It's not true. I mean, I have as much reverence for the classics as anyone, but sometimes it's best when old bands finally yield. Rolling Stones, I'm really looking at you.

All of Wilco is better than half of the Who at this point, e.g.

Pete and Roger are good, but don't do the whole paleorockism thing. It's not true. I mean, I have as much reverence for the classics as anyone, but sometimes it's best when old bands finally yield. Rolling Stones, I'm really looking at you.

All of Wilco is better than half of the Who at this point, e.g.

Wilco has about as much broad appeal as Iron Maiden does. Despite any perceived shortcomings you believe them to have, The Who are legends. Wilco is...well whatever the :censored: it is that bands like Wilco are supposed to be. Having Wilco or their equivalent on at halftime during the Super Bowl would result in exactly two things. You'd be sliding off your seat in anticipation and a substantial amount of a very important TV demographic would be tuning out. My guess is that when faced with the choice of pleasing you or going with a legendary brand name, the powers that be decided to stick with a tried and true formula.

And for the record, Wilco was around back in 1996 when I was doing radio. By my count the "more current" band that you referenced has been around at least 13 years and their lineup has been far from "stable." "Wilco's lineup has changed frequently, with only singer Jeff Tweedy and bassist John Stirratt remaining from the original incarnation." So what's the difference?

Paleorockism my ass. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I'm under the idea that the NFL knows which bands are making a sort of comeback, and then they tap them to be the Super Bowl halftime artist.

Look at this year. The Who has become somewhat popular again thanks in large part to their music being used as the opening themes for all three CSI series (which are on CBS, who is broadcasting the upcoming Super Bowl. Coincidence?)

Last year, I believe Bruce Springsteen had a new album coming out. The year before, it was Prince. The year before that was the Rolling Stones (The only mistake so far in that process because of how out of place the Rolling Stones are when the game was in Detroit, the birthplace of Motown).

Despite any perceived shortcomings you believe them to have, The Who are legends.

Oh absolutely. I enjoy their albums. Their only shortcoming is that the ones who haven't died yet won't go away already. That's all. I'm not suggesting that Wilco would be a better Super Bowl halftime show than the Who, just that I'd rather see a Wilco concert in 2009 than a Who concert because "what they're supposed to be" is really good at music. I was really happy with the Tom Petty halftime, incidentally. Everybody loves Tom Petty. The Rolling Stones were a mistake because they were there in the first place, with their dessicated asses prancing around like fools playing songs that nobody needs to hear ever again. A Motown halftime would've been a million times cooler than that.

The CSI thing is a good catch. Now the halftime show needs to start with David Caruso finding one half of a deflated football. He'll say

"That's the end of the first half. I guess you could say....Who's next."

I also think "a substantial amount of a very important TV demographic [will] be tuning out" when Pete and Roger hit the stage, sorry to say. It's a good time to be a rock 'n' roll geezer though, I guess.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Took it straight off my fingertips, Greg.

I was about to note the noticeable trend in SB halftime performances since Nipplegate occurred...but that about sums it up right there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I also think "a substantial amount of a very important TV demographic [will] be tuning out" when Pete and Roger hit the stage, sorry to say.

Jigga that is going to be the case no matter who they get. I'm just saying that The Who are far preferable to Britney Spears or some other lame lip-synching "pop" group that is popular with high school kids and tabloid TV shows.

Hey, at least it's not Garth Brooks.

Miley Cyrus should do a duet with DMX at the halftime show this year.

Or that...

BB52Big.jpg

I also think "a substantial amount of a very important TV demographic [will] be tuning out" when Pete and Roger hit the stage, sorry to say.

Jigga that is going to be the case no matter who they get. I'm just saying that The Who are far preferable to Britney Spears or some other lame lip-synching "pop" group that is popular with high school kids and tabloid TV shows.

He means black people are sick of the old white guys they've had since the black person got the network fined, other than Prince of course (though even he caught hell from stupid people for pretending his guitar was his wang).

Fortunate problem for the NFL to have, that pro football is so universal that even someone as tastily vanilla as Tom Petty can alienate significant portions of the audience. I don't know who they can put out there that everyone will agree on. The balkanization of musical tastes exemplified by how mad everyone got at Kanye West for being mean to innocent white girl Taylor Swift pretty much assures there won't be any hip-hop for a while, though.

Adam Schefter just confirmed that Dennis Dixon will be starting under center for the Steelers tomorrow night...in a game against the Ravens that could pretty much be an elimination game in the AFC North.

Have fun with that, Pittsburgh.

He means black people are sick of the old white guys they've had since the black person got the network fined, other than Prince of course (though even he caught hell from stupid people for pretending his guitar was his wang).

Fortunate problem for the NFL to have, that pro football is so universal that even someone as tastily vanilla as Tom Petty can alienate significant portions of the audience. I don't know who they can put out there that everyone will agree on. The balkanization of musical tastes exemplified by how mad everyone got at Kanye West for being mean to innocent white girl Taylor Swift pretty much assures there won't be any hip-hop for a while, though.

Actually, I didn't mean that at all. And I don't appreciate you (or anyone else) making that insinuation just based on my skin tone.

What I meant was they're going to lose pretty much everyone under the age of 40. I'm not saying they need to have hip-hop or whatever, but in 2010, it may be nice to have a group that may have had a hit this millenium. However, if The Who ends their set by destroying all the instruments then, and only then, I'm all for them performing.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived