2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

I also think "a substantial amount of a very important TV demographic [will] be tuning out" when Pete and Roger hit the stage, sorry to say.

Jigga that is going to be the case no matter who they get. I'm just saying that The Who are far preferable to Britney Spears or some other lame lip-synching "pop" group that is popular with high school kids and tabloid TV shows.

He means black people are sick of the old white guys they've had since the black person got the network fined, other than Prince of course (though even he caught hell from stupid people for pretending his guitar was his wang).

You'd think a guy who has achieved the rank of Admiral wouldn't be guilty of saying something that is, among other things, condescending, patronizing, and well, for lack of a "nicer" term, downright stupid. There's an old saying around here that really applies right now; Think before you post.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But that's not true. Millions of people under 40 know and like the Who. Their popularity is never in doubt nor danger. With every passing year, another wave of 15-year-olds discovers Zeppelin/Floyd/Who/Sabbath, so there's still a sizable fanbase beyond the boomers. With or without CSI, pretty much everyone knows "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again." CBS and the NFL are nobody's fools; if they knew a significant percentage of households would tune out for halftime, they wouldn't have booked the band in the first place. Sorry to have upset you, but it never seemed plausible that the "substantial amount" of tuneouts would be young people.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Adam Schefter just confirmed that Dennis Dixon will be starting under center for the Steelers tomorrow night...in a game against the Ravens that could pretty much be an elimination game in the AFC North.

Have fun with that, Pittsburgh.

I just don't understand why Coach Tomlin et al even entertained the thought of Big Ben actually playing this week. He sustained a concussion. End of story, nuff said. That's it and that's all. In this day and age with all of the research and all of the attention, you don't take chances with that (look at Brian Westbrook). Add to that, Big Ben has had at least 4 concussions in the last four seasons. I understand the player's mentality to a small extent...always say you feel fine and you're ready to go unless you can't walk and/or breathe, but organizations need to be more careful with the health and well being of their players, especially the franchise QB that you're paying a sh**load of money.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Who? Really Why does the NFL want them? They have had drug issues and they are OLD! But this was know two weeks ago.

Why does the NFL want The Who? I don't know, maybe because they're :censored:-ing incredible? Who would you prefer, Britney Spears or Maroon 5 or someone?

Youth is truly wasted on the young, although to be honest, dfwabel acts more like he's about 70 most of the time. :D

Hey the kids are alright, I'm 17 and have a good amount of The Who on my ipod. Don't go generalizing all youngsters.

My mistake. Kudos to you for being young and still managing to have good taste in music. That's a rare combination any more.

I did not think you were going to group me with 'wdm1219inpenna'

Adam Schefter just confirmed that Dennis Dixon will be starting under center for the Steelers tomorrow night...in a game against the Ravens that could pretty much be an elimination game in the AFC North.

I just don't understand why Coach Tomlin et al even entertained the thought of Big Ben actually playing this week. He sustained a concussion. End of story, nuff said. That's it and that's all. In this day and age with all of the research and all of the attention, you don't take chances with that (look at Brian Westbrook). Add to that, Big Ben has had at least 4 concussions in the last four seasons. I understand the player's mentality to a small extent...always say you feel fine and you're ready to go unless you can't walk and/or breathe, but organizations need to be more careful with the health and well being of their players, especially the franchise QB that you're paying a sh**load of money.

8 years and 102 million dollars agrees with you

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Agreed. Him being held out is definitely the right thing to do when it comes to his well being. No need to risk that concussion snowballing into a worse deal, or helping to contribute to it. Still, something tells me that he's also a victim of timing. NFL announces that teams will be hiring neurologists, and then this happens.

Oh well, still the best thing for Big Ben, and the future of the Steelers.

Agreed. Him being held out is definitely the right thing to do when it comes to his well being. No need to risk that concussion snowballing into a worse deal, or helping to contribute to it. Still, something tells me that he's also a victim of timing. NFL announces that teams will be hiring neurologists, and then this happens.

Let the conspiracy theorist chime in for a second...

...something didn't read right to me back when news first came out that Ben proclaimed to the world that he was perfectly fine and okay...and then Mike Tomlin, the smart, detail-oriented gut that he is (which makes me question even more exactly what the hell is wrong with the Steelers' special teams coverage unit), basically repeats that at the press conference, saying something that made me think: "we're going to prepare as if Ben will be playing on Sunday". Led most everyone to believe he would indeed be playing on Sunday.

Including the Baltimore Ravens.

What am I getting at with this? Game preparation. Odds are already stacked against the Steelers...reeling off two straight losses (the latter of which I'm still laughing about), tough division game on the road, without star defensive player and (possibly) starting QB...probably trying to use any little advantage he/they can get...including throwing off the Ravens' game planning. The little games within the games, I like to call it. Dennis Dixon is a scrambler...plus, the Steelers do still have a decent running tandem. But ultimately, I believe that this, like the past four or five games they've played against each other, is going to be a defensive bloodbath. I may actually take this one in at the ESPNZone at Baltimore Harbor just to see if any violence erupts.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Let the conspiracy theorist chime in for a second...

...something didn't read right to me back when news first came out that Ben proclaimed to the world that he was perfectly fine and okay...and then Mike Tomlin, the smart, detail-oriented gut that he is (which makes me question even more exactly what the hell is wrong with the Steelers' special teams coverage unit), basically repeats that at the press conference, saying something that made me think: "we're going to prepare as if Ben will be playing on Sunday". Led most everyone to believe he would indeed be playing on Sunday.

Including the Baltimore Ravens.

What am I getting at with this? Game preparation. Odds are already stacked against the Steelers...reeling off two straight losses (the latter of which I'm still laughing about), tough division game on the road, without star defensive player and (possibly) starting QB...probably trying to use any little advantage he/they can get...including throwing off the Ravens' game planning. The little games within the games, I like to call it. Dennis Dixon is a scrambler...plus, the Steelers do still have a decent running tandem. But ultimately, I believe that this, like the past four or five games they've played against each other, is going to be a defensive bloodbath. I may actually take this one in at the ESPNZone at Baltimore Harbor just to see if any violence erupts.

No offense my man but, if your idea of a discovering a conspiracy theory means firmly grasping the obvious and choking it to death then yeah you're really on to something there. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I said it earlier and I'll say it again, the Ravens success tomorrow night falls on the offense. I could care less whether or not Roethlisberger is playing. The defense last week was able to hold Peyton Manning and the high powered Colts offense to just 17. They lost because of their inability to score a touchdown. The offense has got to step it up tomorrow. If they bring the offense that they have had for the past 3 games they WILL lose tomorrow.

OMFG - we prepared to play against a really good quarterback, and now we're playing against a kinda crappy quarterback. What are we going to do?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Cedric Benson isn't playing again today. I don't think that should be a problem as they're playing the Browns, but something about Cleveland makes me nervous. Remember, it took an entire overtime period to beat them last time.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Speaking of conspiracies, I hate the fact that the NFL wants the Colts to go undefeated this season. Too many bogus holding and pass interference calls allow the Colts to come from behind or keep their leads.

:upside:

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Speaking of conspiracies, I hate the fact that the NFL wants the Colts to go undefeated this season. Too many bogus holding and pass interference calls allow the Colts to come from behind or keep their leads.

Can you cite some specific instances for those of us who haven't seen every Colts game?

On another subject...stinkin' (%#*#* Falcons! Though in the big picture you Falconites might want to think about the fact that a 1-8 team came with 23 seconds of beating you at home.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Can you cite some specific instances for those of us who haven't seen every Colts game?

On another subject...stinkin' (%#*#* Falcons! Though in the big picture you Falconites might want to think about the fact that a 1-8 team came with 23 seconds of beating you at home.

Yes, for most of the game, the Falcons played some pretty bad football...yes, Matt Ryan has fallen victim to a toe injury, yes our O-Line also fell victim to a terrible rash of injuries & yes, Turner probably shouldn't have played...but dammit, a win is a win is a win is a win is a win is a WIN. All that :censored:tyness from the previous 58 minutes was wiped away by:

1: The defense FINALLY waking up. Took them surrendering a 2 play, 80 yard drive for them to finally say, "This shouldn't be happening anymore, we're playing the damn Buccaneers."

2. The offense just getting it done in the end. Props to Redman for not being terrible. 23/41 for 243 yards, 2 TDs, and NO INTERCEPTIONS is basically a dream scenario from a backup QB (despite the fact that he was missing some obvious balls, White dropped some crucial balls [almost had an '06 flashback], & was getting hit all day.)

So yeah, this ain't the BCS, only thing that matters is wins, and despite all of the nonsense, they won. 3 more W's, that's all I want from the Falcons.

Like seriously, that game went from being the worst Falcons game that I've seen in person (NOTHING tops '06 when the Panthers beat the Falcons with Chris Weinke as the starter) to easily the best ending that I've seen to a Falcons game in person.

Thank God for The NFL Sunday Ticket. Without it I would have been stuck with Bears - Vikings. The best thing about that game was The Vikings throwbacks. Thanks to the Sunday Ticket, I just got to watch Vince Young lead The Titans on a 99 yard game winning drive to beat Arizona. 4 for 4 on 4th down including the game winning TD pass. Unbelievable. Best 200 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Vince Young may be my new favorite player. What a drive!

Also, why is it that The Vikings always seem to be playing well after everyone else is done? Is there a reason their games take 5 hours?

BB52Big.jpg

Archived