Ultimate NCAA Baseball Uniform Project pt. 2!

vicfurth

After an 8-month hiatus (and two semesters in the books, literally), the Ultimate NCAA Baseball Project is back!

Speaking of school, I finally got around to doing a concept that's near and dear to my heart. It isn't everyday that one of us gets to create a concept for his own school, which I'm doing today. Yes, I did the University of Texas at Arlington! As a personal celebration, the rest of this post will be in UTA blue.

clap3.gif

UTA isn't exactly known for a high-profile program, but they've had some notable players in the MLB, specifically John Lackey. The Mavericks' uniforms are okay at best, but suffer from no-no's such as huge back numbers and multiple lines across the front of the jersey.

university-of-texas-at-arlington-baseball-ut-arlington-baseball-greats-utar-base-x-00014xlg.jpg

university-of-texas-at-arlington-baseball-2009-team-huddle-utar-base-x-00029xlg.jpg

I want to give my Mavericks something a bit more unique and a bit more streamlined. Also, I wanted to actually use what I feel is our best logo: Blaze, the horse.

texasarlingtonmavericks.png

I hope to keep creating these over the next couple of weeks, before summer school starts.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next on the list:

Bronc.jpg

OFTDTARUYOFYRKV.20090618134914.jpgVTTUKAIZBAFSMQF.20080512150911.JPG

I tweaked more than overhauled this time. The script they use is among the better ones, so I saw no reason to work with anything different. The cap logo--the tail on the R--has been shortened to make a more serviceable cap logo. Also, I put more emphasis on the maroon rather than black.

The kicker on this concept is the stripe pattern. I wanted something different from the basic 3-stripe-and-done pattern. I went curvy on the jersey, but more angular on the pants.

riderbroncs.png

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

The next one up was a little tricky. This team has a great set already, but I wanted to improve them even further. So, without further ado, that team is the...

Virginia Cavaliers (or Virginia Wahoos):

UVA Home

Virginia Alternate

With Virginia, I wanted something traditional after so many progressive designs I've done lately. Plus, UVA already has a strong look that I didn't want to tamper with too much.

For the striping, I chose a simple neck-and-sleeve pattern that was inspired by their old two-striped football helmets. The scripts are a classic, tailed cursive font. The main thing I did to differentiate the Cavs was to include the swords from the main logo on the cap brim. This marks the first time in the series that I've done anything with the cap brim.

virginiacavaliers.png

If you notice, this is the first time that New Era is used as a manufacturer. I wasn't sure of UVA's actual manufacturer, but it looked like New Era might have been it.

Rawlings is UVA's uniform manufacturer for baseball. New Era makes the hats.

On a side note, that set is very good. It would be cool if you make a jersey that says "Hoos" on the front. The sabres on the bill are interesting, but not tacky.

On a side note, that set is very good. It would be cool if you make a jersey that says "Hoos" on the front. The sabres on the bill are interesting, but not tacky.

Thanks, man. Haven't seen ya post since I uploaded Troy. ;)

Off-topic, are TTF fonts compatible with Windows 7? I tried re-loading the sports fonts by EriqJaffe and they wouldn't work.

Thanks, man. Haven't seen ya post since I uploaded Troy. ;)

Off-topic, are TTF fonts compatible with Windows 7? I tried re-loading the sports fonts by EriqJaffe and they wouldn't work.

I would think that they would be. They worked when I tried one of them out in Word just a few moments ago.

Also, just a friendly suggestion, that "Hoos" jersey idea would look really sweet in orange. Again, just a suggestion. Also, did you use a font for the "Virginia" script, or was it hand-drawn?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't remember, honestly... On the other hand, I'm about to unveil concept #80!

TEXAS A&M AGGIES!

Aggies Gallery

After 79 concepts, I finally got around to my official football team (since UTA's my baseball and basketball team). A&M has a very traditional feel which, I think, has been tainted a bit by Adidas' inclusion of silver, which isn't a school color. I wanted to get back to the maroon/white basics that makes the Aggies feel traditional and clean.

texasaandmaggies.png

As you can see, I went with a Detriot Tigers feel, adding some pants piping as well. Also, you can see a return to NOB; I had stepped away from that for a few concepts. The only hiccup I had was deciding what conference logo to use. I stuck with Big 12 for now though (which could be saved with the inclusion of Iowa and Colorado State, but I digress).

I'll throw in my two cents -

First off, upon seeing all of your uniforms, you've done some fantastic work! I'd have to say that Baylor, Penn State, and Wisconsin are so far my favorites.

Too bad Wisconsin no longer has a baseball team and hasn't had one since '91. You should do a UW-Milwaukee concept, the state's only Divison I baseball program.

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

I'll throw in my two cents -

First off, upon seeing all of your uniforms, you've done some fantastic work! I'd have to say that Baylor, Penn State, and Wisconsin are so far my favorites.

Too bad Wisconsin no longer has a baseball team and hasn't had one since '91. You should do a UW-Milwaukee concept, the state's only Divison I baseball program.

I agree, I'd love to see a UWM one.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, haven't gotten to UWM yet. I considered it, but the scripting will be an issue, and I'm trying to push a few out before I'm back in summer school.

I feel really smart today! I'm trying something new, unveiling an actually rivalry at the same time. I'm also working with what may possibly be the "smartest" conference in the NCAA. Yes, it's time for some Ivy League...

Granted, I've worked with the Ivy League before (got one of my more unique cap designs and furthest throwback from this league) before, but this time I'm changing it up a bit. I'm going with this conference's most famous rivalry, Harvard and Yale. With these concepts, I took them back to their classic color schemes that make these uniforms, IMO, timeless and ageless.

I'll start with Harvard. Their current stuff isn't bad, but the recent additions of black make them look like, well, every other crimson/black school out there. I wanted some definition, something to differentiate them from other schools. What I did was focus on crimson (hence the name Harvard Crimson) and add in elements of cream and khaki, which I think looks really cool. The home/away caps are slightly different, as you can see. The "H" is cream on the home and alternate (which is meant only for the road jersey, ironically) and khaki on the road uni.

As for Yale, I went super conservative with this one, which I think works. The home is pinstriped (another thing I haven't done in a while), but the road and alternate have absolutely no piping or striping. The font is a variation of Old English, with me removing some of the lines that make the font borderline unreadable. It keeps the feel, but makes it easier on the eyes.

I really tried to play up the Ive League aspect, as well as the fact that these two schools are arch rivals. I used each school's coat of arms as a chest patch, but also gave them rival manufacturers (Nike and Adidas). These were definitely fun, and I hope to do more of these rivalries in the future.

harvardcrimson.png

yalebulldogs.png

For A&M, I think the T-Star logo would look great on at least one of the caps. The Harvard and Yale concepts are pretty good too. On a general note, I really like the creativity that you put into these. Baseball in general needs more of it.

I like the Arizona ones, but the lack of red and blue jerseys is weird.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Ah, yes, the project continues on my quest to 100 concepts and beyond...

I looked at Buffalo and Minnesota. They have great potential, but I haven't caught an inspiration for them yet. However, I did whip one up for you guys:

texastechredraiders.png

I'm willing to bet that whenever you hear "Texas Tech", the last thing you think of is Times New Roman (or that style). What I actually did was take inspiration from Texas Tech football. Now, you may ask, how is that possible? Tech football looks like this now:

graham-harrell-p1.jpg

You'd be correct in saying so. At the same time, I wanted this to be an homage--a tribute, if you will--to Tech over the years, from their "thorn in Texas/Texas A&M's side" days to when they were a BCS contender. That's where the Times New Roman comes in. For the longest time, Tech used Times and numerals that were similar to UCLA's glory days. Observe:

891619.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDEB4107F4285720A686885CC17F961DCBE0B796D8D57AA586

The one kicker I really enjoyed not putting in was Texas Tech's huge (IMO) idiosyncracy with their uniforms: They're not freakin red! Should a team called the "RED Raiders" use red primarily? I think so, so I went with a nice balance here of red and black. Great color combo.

Ideas for next? I'm starting to hit a wall here, lol

Archived