European Soccer 2009-10

heernumurr

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its interesting that for all the supposed importance of the games between the top 4, United only got 5 out of a maximum 18 points against the top 4.

For what its worth, I have a sneaky feeling that United might get a result against Arsenal. I think at Old Trafford, United will be hard to beat, and Arsenal have played a fair bit already, whilst United have had a whole week off. 2-1 to United as my guess.

Incidentally nice to see Arsene Wenger back to his paranoid best.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Its interesting that for all the supposed importance of the games between the top 4, United only got 5 out of a maximum 18 points against the top 4.

For what its worth, I have a sneaky feeling that United might get a result against Arsenal. I think at Old Trafford, United will be hard to beat, and Arsenal have played a fair bit already, whilst United have had a whole week off. 2-1 to United as my guess.

Agreed. Idk where people are getting the idea that Man U are vulnerable, that 5-0 win last week was the best thing that could've possibly happened to them after the Burnley game. Arsenal are playing great, but I doubt that they're gonna go into Old Trafford and get 3 points.

Man U wins it 2-1. Ashravin scored the first goal off of a free kick, then Rooney converted a "penalty," then Diaby scored an own goal off of a horrible defense of a free kick.

The story of this match will be the bookings and officiating in general. It was pretty obvious that there was a bit of a slant towards Man U since they were the home team, it honestly reminded me of the officiating in an NBA powerhouse's home court. I think there were 10 bookings, and Wenger got sent off near the end. I'm sure he's going to have some polite words for the press after this one. :P

Arshavin's wasn't a free kick, just a blast with absolutely no run up prior to the shot. Incredible.

I'm so angry we couldn't get a result. The Gunners really dominated for almost the entire game, the only time ManUre looked sharp was right after the penalty. From then on, Arsenal had many chances to score. Keeper made a great save on van Persie's sliding kick after Arshavin's cross. Diaby had an excellent chance to score immediately after the own goal, van Persie's curler hit the cross bar, and the last goal at the end was a foot offsides. Just very unlucky, yet I'm very pleased with how they played. ManUre looks not too good this year, the only guy that impressed me was Rooney, was creating a lot of chances towards the end especially.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Arshavin's wasn't a free kick, just a blast with absolutely no run up prior to the shot. Incredible.

I'm so angry we couldn't get a result. The Gunners really dominated for almost the entire game, the only time ManUre looked sharp was right after the penalty. From then on, Arsenal had many chances to score. Keeper made a great save on van Persie's sliding kick after Arshavin's cross. Diaby had an excellent chance to score immediately after the own goal, van Persie's curler hit the cross bar, and the last goal at the end was a foot offsides. Just very unlucky, yet I'm very pleased with how they played. ManUre looks not too good this year, the only guy that impressed me was Rooney, was creating a lot of chances towards the end especially.

Ah, my bad. Still a vicious shot, nobody was gonna stop that.

You are right though, Arsenal was dictating the pace of the game for the most part. They just couldn't capitalize on their chances and Man U did. Plus, the Diaby own goal was just terrible. This game really should've been a draw, or a loss for Man U. But I guess the announcers were right, they just seem to find a way at Old Trafford.

Ah, my bad. Still a vicious shot, nobody was gonna stop that.

You are right though, Arsenal was dictating the pace of the game for the most part. They just couldn't capitalize on their chances and Man U did. Plus, the Diaby own goal was just terrible. This game really should've been a draw, or a loss for Man U. But I guess the announcers were right, they just seem to find a way at Old Trafford.

That's the sort of thing that can be deflating for an opponent in soccer or in any sport for that matter. You think you've got them where you want them, but somehow they can strike at any moment. I get a kick of all sorts of people bagging Man U before a match and then the result is not to their liking. To be honest, I think this will be a down year for Man U. After the departures of Ronaldo and Tevez, I was thinking that Liverpool will take the Premiership, but Chelsea look good at the moment. It's still early, so I would not worry about anything until January.

I saw, I came, I left.

I can't wait for tomorrow, Manure vs. Arsenal! 2-0 to the Arsenal! This is the most vulnerable United have been in a long time (losign CR7, Tevesz, Rio out, VdS out). Too bad Cesc won't be there to run rampant over a "weak" United midfield.

You were saying?

Great result for Man U! That Old Trafford magic is somethin, I'll tell ya.

And as far as Arsenal controlling the pace, doesn't matter. A win is a win is a win is a win.

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I can't wait for tomorrow, Manure vs. Arsenal! 2-0 to the Arsenal! This is the most vulnerable United have been in a long time (losign CR7, Tevesz, Rio out, VdS out). Too bad Cesc won't be there to run rampant over a "weak" United midfield.

You were saying?

Great result for Man U! That Old Trafford magic is somethin, I'll tell ya.

And as far as Arsenal controlling the pace, doesn't matter. A win is a win is a win is a win.

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED!

my thoughts exactly :)

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

*****************saintsfan's weekly EPL roundup*******************

Performance of the week- Going for United's win over Arsenal here. After a wobble at the start of the season, weathering Arsenal's superior play in the first half and then riding some luck puts United over the edge.

Team giving a sigh of relief- Everton, finally getting a win.

Highflyers who won't last- Stoke are in 5th place at the moment! Looking good for a mid table finish, but realiy seems bound to strike when they play some harder matches

Managers under pressure- Gary Megson at Bolton looks like he could be the first in real trouble. 3 defeats, not looking good for the Wanderers at the moments.

Paul Hart- not so much under pressure, but now the Pompey takeover has been sorted, maybe the owners will want a more glamorous boss?

Overall- Spurs and Chelsea still looking good at the top end of the table, with the Manchester teams hot on their heals. Looking like a trio of Lancashire teams might have a long season, Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton all keeping Portsmouth company at the bottom.

***********special bottom of League 1 update****************

Southampton inch closer to 0 points, despite conceding a last minute equaliser at Stockport County.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Villa ran 4-5-1 today and absolutely owned Fulham 2-0...well, maybe Fulham was a bit drained from having to play a Europa League game in Russia this past Wednesday, but wow. Not even a shot on net, and rarely had a chance. Plus the own goal didn't help matters for them either.

Oh well. 2 wins and a loss in the first three games is just about the way I figured Villa would start off the season in the league...though I didn't figure that one of the wins would be over Liverpool. Good start, hopefully there's more to come, more Reo-Coker, less Heskey, a couple more signings (preferably a left back), and more 4-5-1 in the future.

And for those who are interested, the third round draw of the Carling Cup was announced today.

Carling Cup third round draw:

Arsenal v West Brom

Chelsea v QPR

Bolton v West Ham

Barnsley v Burnley

Hull v Everton

Leeds v Liverpool

Manchester United v Wolves

Manchester City v Fulham

Sunderland v Birmingham

Peterborough v Newcastle

Carlisle v Portsmouth

Nottingham Forest v Blackburn

Stoke v Blackpool

Scunthorpe v Port Vale

Preston v Tottenham

Aston Villa v Cardiff

Ties will be played week commencing Monday, 21 September

Blackpool, Sunderland, and Cardiff are my picks to upset (yeah, I don't have much faith in the Villans during a cup. lol.).

I've made up my mind and decided that Peter Crouch was a good investment for Spurs to make. Being the tallest man in the league helps when you're looking for a goal off a set piece.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I've made up my mind and decided that Peter Crouch was a good investment for Spurs to make. Being the tallest man in the league helps when you're looking for a goal off a set piece.

Crouchy playing for Tottenham makes it much harder for me to hate them than I would like.

Crouchy playing for Tottenham makes it much harder for me to hate them than I would like.

Portsmouth fans must loathe Spurs deeply by now. Redknapp, Defoe and Crouch all gone to North London in a short time period. I know i'd be ripsh-t if that happened to my team!

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Villa ran 4-5-1 today and absolutely owned Fulham 2-0...well, maybe Fulham was a bit drained from having to play a Europa League game in Russia this past Wednesday, but wow. Not even a shot on net, and rarely had a chance. Plus the own goal didn't help matters for them either.

Oh well. 2 wins and a loss in the first three games is just about the way I figured Villa would start off the season in the league...though I didn't figure that one of the wins would be over Liverpool. Good start, hopefully there's more to come, more Reo-Coker, less Heskey, a couple more signings (preferably a left back), and more 4-5-1 in the future.

And for those who are interested, the third round draw of the Carling Cup was announced today.

Arsenal v West Brom

Chelsea v QPR

Bolton v West Ham

Barnsley v Burnley

Hull v Everton

Leeds v Liverpool

Manchester City v Fulham

Sunderland v Birmingham

Peterborough v Newcastle

Carlisle v Portsmouth

Stoke v Blackpool

Scunthorpe v Port Vale

Preston v Tottenham

Aston Villa v Cardiff

Blackpool, Sunderland, and Cardiff are my picks to upset (yeah, I don't have much faith in the Villans during a cup. lol.).

I think it would be a bit unfair to call Sunderland winning at home against a team from the same division, who got promoted last season an upset?

Interesting that Manchester City seemed to be taking the Carling Cup seriously against Crystal Palace the other day. I'd make City my favourites for the competition based on that right now.

As far as upsets are concerned- Barnsley beating Burnley, Forest beating Blackburn and maybe even Preston beating Spurs would be my picks as the likeliest 3, though I think there aren't that many likely, depending on who the big teams pick I guess.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Arsenal v West Brom

Chelsea v QPR

Bolton v West Ham

Barnsley v Burnley

Hull v Everton

Leeds v Liverpool

Manchester City v Fulham

Sunderland v Birmingham

Peterborough v Newcastle

Carlisle v Portsmouth

Stoke v Blackpool

Scunthorpe v Port Vale

Preston v Tottenham

Aston Villa v Cardiff

I think it would be a bit unfair to call Sunderland winning at home against a team from the same division, who got promoted last season an upset?

Interesting that Manchester City seemed to be taking the Carling Cup seriously against Crystal Palace the other day. I'd make City my favourites for the competition based on that right now.

As far as upsets are concerned- Barnsley beating Burnley, Forest beating Blackburn and maybe even Preston beating Spurs would be my picks as the likeliest 3, though I think there aren't that many likely, depending on who the big teams pick I guess.

I'd take Forest over Blackburn too.

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

Didn't realise until I watched the highlights again, but Rooney's dive for that penatly was epic.

A cheat is a cheat is a cheat.

Thank you! Someone else sees that! My soccer coaches said it was a horrible dive as well this morning to me, much to my delight. He was falling over before Almunia even touched him, and there was NO way he was going to get to the ball after that touch. Just poor refereeing.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Didn't realise until I watched the highlights again, but Rooney's dive for that penatly was epic.

A cheat is a cheat is a cheat.

Thank you! Someone else sees that! My soccer coaches said it was a horrible dive as well this morning to me, much to my delight. He was falling over before Almunia even touched him, and there was NO way he was going to get to the ball after that touch. Just poor refereeing.

I don't think Rooney is the only person at this diving lark at the moment, Eboue did a laughably bad dive in the same game.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived