European Soccer 2009-10

heernumurr

lol @ the end of that Man City-Man U game. That was the loosest application of a set amount of stoppage time that I've seen in soccer. How did 4 minutes turn into 6 and a half? :blink:

Ha ha so true! One thing with Manchester United though is you know they will keep going until the final whistle goes!

That's for real. Their win in the 99(?) UCL proved that to me.

lol @ some guy on twitter saying to Bill Simmons "You're new to soccer so I'll explain the rules of stoppage time: It goes until Man U wins." :P

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol @ the end of that Man City-Man U game. That was the loosest application of a set amount of stoppage time that I've seen in soccer. How did 4 minutes turn into 6 and a half? :blink:

Ha ha so true! One thing with Manchester United though is you know they will keep going until the final whistle goes!

That's for real. Their win in the 99(?) UCL proved that to me.

lol @ some guy on twitter saying to Bill Simmons "You're new to soccer so I'll explain the rules of stoppage time: It goes until Man U wins." :P

I remember a game probably 15 or so years ago when United were playing Sheffield Wednesday (I think it was) and they scored two goals in stoppage time then to win a crucial game. Can't remember if that was the year they finally won the league after 20 odd years or the year before when Leeds pipped them to the title though.

The important thing to remember is that you can add time in stoppage time, and that the time shown is not exact. So there was approximately a minute for the celebration of Man City's goal and then 30 seconds for a substitution, and by then you have enough time for Owen's goal.

I am always amused that football managers in post match interviews seem obsessed with blaming the ref, but Hughes didn't seem at all concerned that Owen had been left completely unmarked in the box, or about the other 3 defensive errors that lead to goals.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I remember a game probably 15 or so years ago when United were playing Sheffield Wednesday (I think it was) and they scored two goals in stoppage time then to win a crucial game. Can't remember if that was the year they finally won the league after 20 odd years or the year before when Leeds pipped them to the title though.

I think the game you're referring to includes this famous goal from current Sunderland manager, Steve Bruce.

You're right Saintsfan, it was from 1992-93, when United won their first league title in 26 years.

Craig Bellamy has also landed himself in hot water for slapping a (restrained) fan who ran onto the pitch at the end of the game.

bellamyslap.gif

(Credit: http://therepublikofmancunia.com/)

"Sorry, your signature is too long..."

I think the game you're referring to includes this famous goal from current Sunderland manager, Steve Bruce.

You're right Saintsfan, it was from 1992-93, when United won their first league title in 26 years.

Thats the game! I remember listening to it on the radio! There are a few other good examples of United not giving up on something when other teams might have! I think it is one of the things that has kept the Red Devils at the top if English soccer for a generation now. United really will lose a lot when they lose Sir Alex Ferguson.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Craig Bellamy has also landed himself in hot water for slapping a (restrained) fan who ran onto the pitch at the end of the game.

bellamyslap.gif

(Credit: http://therepublikofmancunia.com/)

Craig Bellamy is completely insane.

Since I'm a bored college kid, after every weekend I'll post what the top 4 leagues of England would look like next year.

Premier League

-Arsenal

-Aston Villa

-Birmingham City

-Blackburn Rovers

-Bolton Wanderers

-Burnley

-Chelsea

-Everton

-Fulham

-Liverpool

-Manchester City

-Manchester United

-Newcastle United

-Preston North End

-Stoke City

-Sunderland

-Tottenham Hotspur

-West Bromwich Albion

-Wigan Athletic

-Wolverhampton Wanderers

Championship

-Blackpool

-Bristol City

-Bristol Rovers

-Cardiff City

-Charlon Athletic

-Coventry City

-Crystal Palace

-Derby County

-Doncaster Rovers

-Hull City

-Leeds United

-Leicester City

-Middlesbrough

-Nottingham Forrest

-Peterborough United

-Portsmouth

-QPR

-Reading

-Scunthorpe United

-Sheffield United

-Sheffield Wednesday

-Swansea City

-Watford

-West Ham United

League One

-Barnsley

-Bournemouth

-Brentford

-Carlisle United

-Colchester United

-Dangenham & Redbridge

-Exeter City

-Gillingham

-Hartlepool United

-Huddersfield Town

-Ipswich Town

-Leyton Orient

-MK Dons

-Milwall

-Norwich City

-Oldham Athletic

-Plymouth Argyle

-Rochdale

-Rotherham United

-Southend United

-Stockport County

-Swindon Town

-Walsall

-Yeovil Town

League Two

-Accrington Stanley

-Aldershot Town

-Barnet

-Bradford City

-Brighton & Hove Albion

-Burton Albion

-Bury

-Cheltenham Town

-Chesterfield

-Crewe Alexandra

-Grimsby Town

-Hereford United

-Lincoln City

-Macclesfield Town

-Morecambe

-Northampton Town

-Notts County

-Oxford United

-Port Vale

-Shrewsbury Town

-Southampton

-Stevenage Borough

-Trammere United

-Wycombe Wanderers

****Saintsfan's weekly EPL Roundup*****

Performance of the week- Wigan Athletic beating Chelsea 3-1, proving Ancelotti right, Chelsea are beatable. Wigan's first win against one of the top 4 ever.

WTF row of the week- Sunderland manager being upset that Kenwyne Jones took a penalty, despite the fact that he scored it. Regular penalty taker Darren Bent had taken an earlier pen in the game and scored.

Managers under pressure- Paul Hart sees P :censored: h fall to another defeat. Hull City's Phil Brown coming under increased scrutiny with another defeat.

***Saintsfans EPL power rankings****

1 Manchester United

2 Chelsea

3 Liverpool

4 Manchester City

5 Tottenham Hotspur

Bottom five

20 P :censored: h

19 Hull City

18 Bolton Wanderers

17 West Ham United

16 Birmingham City

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ligue 1 Matchday 7 roundup

Auxerre 2-0 Grenbole

Both clubs played with 10 men from the 21st minute, but still Grenoble is pointless

Lorient 1-1 PSG

2 goals in 5 first half minutes and that's it, 2 draws in a row for PSG

Monaco 1-2 Saint-Etienne

Gonzalo Bergessio scored in the 90th minute to shock Monaco

Montpellier 1-0 Boulonge

Montpellier keeps their impressive season going beating fellow promoted side Boulonge

Nancy 2-1 Sochaux

Sochaux's comeback was too little too late, as Nancy's 2 first half goals are enough for the win

Valenciennes 3-2 Marseille

Schmitz Rafael shocked l'OM with an 84th minute goal to snatch the 3 points for Valenciennes

Lyon 2-1 Toulouse

TFC opened the scoring, but les Gones finished it, and Lyon creates some space between them and Marseille

Le Mans 3-0 Lens

2 goals from Frederic Thomas paced Le Mans to an easy victory

Lille 1-1 Nice

Pierre-Alain Frau had to score in the 89th minute to save les Dogues from defeat at the hands of the southerners

Bordeaux 1-0 Rennes

Wendel scored the only goal of the match, and les Girondins keep their lead a top of the table

Bordeaux's win keeps them in first on 19 points, while Lyon keeps up with 17 points in second. Marseille's loss coupled with Montpellier's win, means the two are now tied for 3 place with 14 points each. Grenoble are still pointless and in 20th place. Nice has 5 for 19th place, while Lille and Sochaux are tied for 17th place with 6 points.

1zqy8ok.gif

Man U pulled off another stoppage time job, this time trailing Sunderland 2-1 going into stoppage time, only to get the equalizer off of an own goal, and then have a 10-man Sunderland basically beg for the referee's mercy whistle at the end because they could not get it out of their own end. If Man U had a minute more coughliketheynormallydocough, they probably would've won this game.

Sort of a heartbreak for Sunderland. They were THAT close to getting 3 points at Old Trafford.

****Saintsfans weekly EPL update****

Performance of the week- Sunderland going to Old Trafford and being unlucky not to get a win.

Irony award- Sir Alex Ferguson complaining about the referees time keeping at Old Trafford.

Managers under pressure- P :censored: h and Hull both got wins to relieve some of the pressure on there bosses. West Ham not on a good run, Gianfranco Zola's position begining to look a little uncomfortable.

**Saintsfans Premiership power rankings**

1 Chelsea (good win over Liverpool, good bounce back from a couple of dissapointing performances)

2 Manchester United (Lucky draw, but still showing the traditional determination)

3 Arsenal (heavy home win to celebrate Wenger's 13 years at the Club)

4 Man City (Good win earlier in the week against West Ham, playing on Monday again this week)

5 Liverpool (Slid to defeat at Chelsea, after dissapointing UCL performance midweek)

bottom 5

20 P :censored: h (away win to end a bad bad week behind the scenes, maybe things will improve??)

19 Hull (Good home win, but still question marks)

18 West ham United (2nd bottom, unable to get results at the moment)

17 Blackburn Rovers (fell to a big defeat away at Arsenal)

16 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Home defeat against bottom of the table opposition is not a good sign)

***Saintsfan league 1 update****

Southampton finally have some points! The 10 point penalty has been wiped away after a good 4-1 victory at home to Gillingham. Only 4 points back from Wycombe now!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ligue 1 Matchday 8 roundup

Grenoble 2-3 Montpellier

Montpellier continue their cinderella run, while Grenoble is still pointless

Nice 3-2 Valenciennes

Nice scores 3 goals in 10 minutes to comeback from 0-2 down

PSG 1-1 Nancy

2 goals in 4 minutes in the first half is all the scoring in this one

Rennes 0-1 Auxerre

USA international Carlos Bocanegra is sent off in the 16th minute, and Benoit Pedretti capitalizes a minute later for the only goal of the match

Saint-Etienne 3-1 Bordeaux

Sainté pull the shock of the week, beating Bordeaux. The Girondins lose for the first time in 22 mathces

Sochaux 1-0 Le Mans

Marvin Martin scores with 10 minutes to go to sink 10-man Le Mans

Lens 0-2 Lyon

Govou and Kallstrom each score to move Lyon into sole possession of first place

Boulogne 2-3 Lille

Les Dogues take this northern derby with 2 Pierre-Alain Frau goals in 6 minutes

Toulouse 0-1 Lorient

An injury time penalty gives the visitors the full points

Marseille 1-2 Monaco

L'OM's comeback is too little too late, as the principality jump into 4th position

Bordeaux's loss is Lyon's gain, as Les Gones go top with 20 points. Bordeaux is second with 19, and Montpellier takes the last Champions League spot with 17. Grenoble is still pointless in 20th, while Le Mans is alone in 19th with 7 points. There are 4 teams level on 8 points and in the last drop spot; Nice, Lens, Boulogne and Toulouse.

1zqy8ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived