European Soccer 2009-10

heernumurr

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell does that happen? I thought Arsenal's shredding of Everton back in Matchday 1 was crazy, but this is ridiculous. 9-1, what did Wigan just bring their reserves? :P

I'll talk more about it in my weekly round up, but winning 9-1 is crazy. Wigan are very inconsistent, especially away from the DW this season, and Spurs really are a serious contender for a Champions League spot.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Spurs beat Wigan 9-1 :shocked:

Glory glory Tottenham Hotspur...the Spurs go marching on!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

***Saintsfan's weekly round up***

Performance of the week- Spurs become only the second team to score 9 goals in a game in the EPL era, and Jermaine Defoe becomes the third player to score 5 on a game, and the only player to score 5 in a half. Wigan's only goal came from an Henry-style handball. Generally a satisfying week for Spurs fans as Sunderland get a win over Arsenal.

Manager most annoying Saintsfan with post match comments this week- Arsene Wenger. Arsenal lose, apparently Sunderland didn't trouble the Arsenal keeper. Hey Arsene your team didn't score, can't win a game without scoring.

Dissapointment of the week- Arsenal beat out Wigan here, because if the Gunners have got title aspirations going to Sunderland on a cold, wet, windy day and winning are the kind of results you need to get, sometimes more than the impressive 4-0 wins against teams in the relegation zone.

Managers under pressure this week- Rafa Benitez has a big week coming up with a possible Champions League exit and a Merseyside Derby. Who knows what 2 defeats might mean. Gary Megson's Bolton are on a bad run again. Megson isn't a charasmatic enough guy to keep the fans onside for long on a bad run. (Phil Brown and Paul Hart might be more secure than they should be, both being with clubs in financial trouble.)

Power rankings will be back next week.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ligue 1 Week 14 Round-up

The postponed match between PSG and Marseille was played on Friday, and thus Marseille's match against Sochaux and PSG's match against Boulonge will be played on December 2nd.

Marseille 1-0 PSG

Gabriel Heinze scores the lone goal in this delayed match. The original had to be delayed cause of the H1N1 Flu affecting the PSG squad

Bordeaux 0-1 Valenciennes

Mamadou Samassa's 7th minute strike was enough for VAFC, as they hold on to stun Les Girondins

Grenoble 1-1 Lyon

10-men is no problem for Grenoble. They score 2 minutes after going a man down to take a point from Lyon. That's 2 draws in a row for the Alpine club

Lens 2-1 Nancy

2 goals in 3 minutes in the second half give Lens a solid comeback victory over ASNL

Rennes 2-1 Le Mans

Asamoah Gyan breaks the draw in the 81st, and Rennes collect full points at home

Auxerre 2-0 Monaco

Auxerre continue to climb, and Monaco keep dropping

Nice 1-0 Toulouse

Loic Remy slots home a penalty in the 51st minute for the only scoring of the match

Saint-Etienne 0-2 Lorient

2 quick goals for the Bretons, and they never looked back. Sainté drops 3 points at home

Montpellier 2-0 Lille

The cinderella club stops their slide, and gets an impressive result too. Victor Hugo Montano scores twice in the second half

After 14 weeks, we have a new leader. Auxerre have jumped Bordeaux into First with 26 points. Bordeaux is now level with Lyon for second on 25 points. Despite a second point Grenoble is still in last well back of Le Mans who are on 8. Boulonge round out the drop zone on 9 points, but have a game in hand.

1zqy8ok.gif

Liverpool has basically been knocked out of Champions League at the group stage. After Fiorentina beat Lyon 2-0 that puts Liverpool in a situation where they have to beat Fiorentina next week, hope Debrecen somehow beats Lyon, and somehow in those 2 games make a up a 6 goal differential to advance. Probably not going to happen.

Liverpool has basically been knocked out of Champions League at the group stage. After Fiorentina beat Lyon 2-0 that puts Liverpool in a situation where they have to beat Fiorentina next week, hope Debrecen somehow beats Lyon, and somehow in those 2 games make a up a 6 goal differential to advance. Probably not going to happen.

The Tiebreaker is actually head to head, so even if Liverpool wins, and Lyon loses, since Lyon has 4 points in games with Liverpool compared to Liverpool's 1, Lyon wins the tie-breaker. And by the way Fiorentina won 1-0.

Always good to see Liverpool down and out :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Before we move on to European matters, P :cursing: h have sacked manager Paul Hart

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8377374.stm

And Liverpool are out of the Champions League. The tiebreaker in the Champions League is not goal difference, but results of the games between the tied parties, and Liverpool came of the worst against Lyon, and cannot catch Fiorentina. Its Europe League football for Liverpool after Christmas!

In more important news, Southampton move within a point of safety in League 1 after a 3-1 win away to Hartlepool.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The Tiebreaker is actually head to head, so even if Liverpool wins, and Lyon loses, since Lyon has 4 points in games with Liverpool compared to Liverpool's 1, Lyon wins the tie-breaker. And by the way Fiorentina won 1-0.

Yup... that made my day ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Yup... that made my day ^_^

Mine too :grin:

Barcelona won El Classico thanks to a fantastic finish from Zlatan, great build up from Barca as well, that's why they're my favorite team to watch in Europe.

It was a beautiful cross in from Dani Alves. The whole team played their asses off. When the man from Real got sent off they just gave up. Barca clamped down when Busquets got sent off. Great match to watch.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

***Saintsfans weekly EPL round up***

Performance of the week- Chelsea winning 3-0 at Arsenal. Chelsea are beginning to look like the class of the league. If they can get through the African Nations Cup spell without too much damage, they must be the team to beat in the league now.

The most annoying post match interview award is retained by Arsene Wenger for protesting about a disallowed goal after a foul on Chelsea keeper Petr Cech. The decision may have been 50/50 but if it had gone the other way, Wenger would not have seen the incident, guaranteed.

Dissapointment of the season- Everton. Last years success story is this years plummeting stone.

Managers under pressure- The hot seat on Merseyside has moved from Anfield to Goodison after Liverpool's Derby win. Megson and Brown saw there teams get needed victories. Some pressure on Mick McCarthy at Wolves after the drop down the table.

Saintsfans EPL power rankings

1 Chelsea

2 Manchester United

3 Arsenal

4 Tottenham Hotspur

5 Aston Villa

Bottom 5

20 Portsmouth

19 Wolves

18 Hull City

17 Bolton Wanderers

16 Everton