Australian Football League 2010

Primal

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, it's interesting to say the least. which begs an idea and a question...did they try to pitch the idea of a partial or full checkerboard at any point? Probably not, but side checkers transitioning into hoops could possibly work.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

So I watched Carlton/Collingwood last night (well, part of it since the Blues just got absolutely dumptrucked by the Magpies), & man, it was mad hard to distinguish the two teams. Collingwood was wearing their tradtional black/white jumper with black shorts, but Carlton decided to wear their navy jumper with white shorts. The shade in the arena didn't help either. They really should've worn that white jumper, IMO.

So I watched Carlton/Collingwood last night (well, part of it since the Blues just got absolutely dumptrucked by the Magpies), & man, it was mad hard to distinguish the two teams. Collingwood was wearing their tradtional black/white jumper with black shorts, but Carlton decided to wear their navy jumper with white shorts. The shade in the arena didn't help either. They really should've worn that white jumper, IMO.

You can thank AFL BizarroWorld rules for this - they were deemed to clash back in Rd 6, but not here, it seems...

Coming this week, with consequences for the Dons...

wbAFLseatbelt-420x0.jpg

Dons to wear 'seatbelt' jumper after Hille's plea

CAROLINE WILSON

August 3, 2010

Essendon's latest jumper.

AN IMPASSIONED plea delivered to the AFL by ruckman David Hille has led to Essendon being given the green light to wear a radical one-off jumper against Carlton on Friday night.

The Bombers have won special approval for their second one-off jumper this season, which will transform their famous red sash into a seatbelt to commemorate the 40th anniversary of compulsory seatbelts in Victoria.

Hille, who survived a fatal car accident that killed three of his teenaged schoolmates in 1998, was in the front seat and was wearing a seatbelt. He has agreed to become the face of the ''buckle up'' campaign for the TAC this week.

The Age understands that under an unofficial deal achieved as a result of the ''buckle up'' jumper Essendon will finally agree to succumb to the AFL's direction and produce a clash guernsey in 2011.

The Bombers are one of only two clubs - Collingwood is the other - which has steadfastly refused to move away from its traditional black jumper with red sash. This has caused angst among other clubs - most recently Melbourne - which was forced to don a white jumper against the Bombers at the Demons round-15 home game.

Friday night's special seatbelt jumper will see the Bombers' red sash come equipped with a seatbelt-style buckle and comes after the Adam Ramanauskas-inspired ''Call to Arms'' Clash for Cancer game, which saw Essendon's left armlet trimmed with yellow.

The AFL initially refused the Essendon-TAC proposal for the seatbelt guernsey on the basis that each club is allowed only one ''one-off'' jumper per season.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou last night confirmed that a deputation to the league's commercial department by the TAC, Bombers' chief executive Ian Robson and club vice-captain Hille had swayed the competition to make an exception to its rule.

''David Hille was one of a group who made a representation to us and we believed that an exception was understandable given the cause involved and the one-off nature of the anniversary,'' Demetriou said.

''It is true that based on our policy only one exception to the jumper rule is allowed each season.''

Essendon will now be forced to sell to its members the concept of a new-look clash guernsey, something it has always insisted would require constitutional change.

The AFL is understood to have ramped up the pressure on the Bombers given dissatisfaction from Melbourne and St Kilda over the clash jumper in their games and the fact the Gold Coast Suns have unveiled a jumper that is predominantly red.

Hille's passion for the cause was hinted at after the 2010 Dreamtime clash with Richmond. Voted best afield that night he urged fans to ''drive safely'' in his acceptance speech.

When The Age revealed the Bombers' plans two months ago Robson said: ''What lies at the heart of this is that young people's lives can be saved. We are simply asking the AFL to show some flexibility.''

Hille had been at the Dandenong Southern Stingrays for just two weeks before becoming one of eight Peninsula Grammar schoolmates who climbed into a station wagon that later swerved and hit a tree in Mount Eliza 12 years ago this November.

Of the eight, five survived the crash that horrified the most seasoned members of the accident investigation squad. The under-age driver, Hille's friend Gene Thomas, was sentenced to two years in a youth detention centre.

Hille was the front-seat passenger who wore a seat belt and climbed out with barely a scratch, screaming for someone to call an ambulance. The experience was exacerbated by the fact that his father, Ray Hille, is principal of Peninsula School.

''For a long time we just got stuck into the footy,'' recalls the Stingrays coach at the time, Rob Dean. ''But as this year progressed it was a matter of trying to tell him he wasn't responsible and getting him to acknowledge to himself that it wasn't his fault. He had to push on with his life but, of course, he was carrying the emotional baggage of the tight school community and impending court case and being a witness.''

In an interview with The Sunday Age a year after the accident, Hille said that while his school had offered counselling he hadn't deemed it necessary and that 17 and 18-year-old boys are not generally good at talking about their problems.

''I've spoken to the [school] reverend a few times, and the school was great,'' he said. ''Dad took most of the pressure off me. But I hope you mention Steve Kennedy and Rob Dean at the Stingrays. They've been terrific.''

Load of :censored:.

Won't happen.

The Essendon members would not allow it. Plus its constitutional (or atleast it used to be) that the club wears black with a red sash.

Will be pushed through by the club management who could care less what the members (people who 'own' the club) thnk.

As will the Clash jumper.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Melbourne will have a new logo for next season.

___MFClogo_246a.jpg

Bit late on this one. I like the old-style lettering on the wordmark at the bottom. Everything else is terrible. There's bevels, shading, gradients, about 10 design elements in the space you could fit normally 2 or 3... just shocking.

liverpool-1.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FD_RGB_A2_MONOGRAM_VERT_FC350px-for-web-story.jpg2010BrandLaunch246B.jpg

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/103553/default.aspx

New look for Fremantle Dockers

The Fremantle Football Club will today launch its new logo and new home and clash guernseys for season 2011.

Fremantle president Steve Harris said that the launch of the club?s new logo and home and clash jumpers coincided with a new arrangement with Levi Strauss & Co that allows the club to refer to itself as the ?Fremantle Dockers? and the ?Fremantle Dockers Football Club? as well as use the new brand elements under licence.

?The new club logo is inspired by traditional club insignias of days past and the pride they represent,? he said.

?Strength, tradition and an acknowledgement of the club?s port heritage underpin the new design. Striking in its simplicity, the new logo is a strong monogram that features the anchor prominently and a boldly placed ?D? as well as the name ?Fremantle Dockers?.?

The design of the new jumpers (home; purple with three white Vs and clash; white with three purple Vs) was inspired by the club?s heritage jumper first worn by Fremantle players in 2003.

In September 2008, the club advised that it would be undertaking a review of its brand elements, including the name Fremantle Dockers, its logo and jumper.

As part of that process, the club engaged consultants who were given a brief to research the relevance of the club?s brand elements (name, logo and jumper) amongst its members, supporters, sponsors, stakeholders and other interested parties.

The research that was undertaken in 2009 included but was not limited to face-to-face interviews with supporters at home games and an on-line survey of the brand elements that was sent to club members.

More than 2900 members took part in the survey in May 2009.

Fremantle chief executive officer Steve Rosich said the key theme for each of the brand elements, which emanated from the 2009 review and member survey, was that they convey ?strength, simplicity and authenticity?.

?The colour purple was the brand element that members and other stakeholders ?most strongly felt? should be associated with the Fremantle Football Club,? he said.

?Purple was seen as being ?strong, liked and unique?. Consequently, the colour purple features prominently in both the new logo and jumper design.?

Rosich said that along with the reinvigoration of Fremantle?s playing list over the past two years, the new logo and jumper design were in keeping with the club?s aim of achieving sustained success on and off the field.

?In time, the unveiling of our new logo and jumper will be regarded as an important phase in our club?s history. It is both an exciting development to be part of and a major plank of our future direction,? he said.

?Significantly, we will officially call ourselves the ?Fremantle Dockers

Rosich said that the new logo would entrench the anchor as a lasting symbol of the Fremantle Dockers Football Club.

?Furthermore our new jumper, which was inspired by the heritage jumper first worn by the Dockers in 2003 at the MCG, is both an important tribute to our past and an acknowledgement of our football origins.

?We are proud of our 16 year history and proud of the jumper and logo that we have worn and displayed with pride in that time.

?Given the nature of the changes to our logo and jumper and their undeniable acknowledgement to where we have come from as a football club, let there be no doubt that our new logo and jumper will be worn with as much pride in the future as they were in the past.?

Rosich also said that consideration to changing the club song was not undertaken as part of the review process to date.

?Now that an arrangement has been struck with Levi Strauss & Co that process will now take place.

?In the 2011 pre-season, the club will seek feedback from members, supporters and the general public on the Fremantle Dockers? club song, including possible alternatives,? he said.

?One of the options will be to retain the existing club song.?

The club was delighted to reach an arrangement with Levi Strauss and Co and thanks the company and key staff involved for their cooperation.

Background

I saw, I came, I left.

FD_RGB_A2_MONOGRAM_VERT_FC350px-for-web-story.jpg2010BrandLaunch246B.jpg

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/103553/default.aspx

New look for Fremantle Dockers

The Fremantle Football Club will today launch its new logo and new home and clash guernseys for season 2011.

Fremantle president Steve Harris said that the launch of the club?s new logo and home and clash jumpers coincided with a new arrangement with Levi Strauss & Co that allows the club to refer to itself as the ?Fremantle Dockers? and the ?Fremantle Dockers Football Club? as well as use the new brand elements under licence.

?The new club logo is inspired by traditional club insignias of days past and the pride they represent,? he said.

?Strength, tradition and an acknowledgement of the club?s port heritage underpin the new design. Striking in its simplicity, the new logo is a strong monogram that features the anchor prominently and a boldly placed ?D? as well as the name ?Fremantle Dockers?.?

The design of the new jumpers (home; purple with three white Vs and clash; white with three purple Vs) was inspired by the club?s heritage jumper first worn by Fremantle players in 2003.

In September 2008, the club advised that it would be undertaking a review of its brand elements, including the name Fremantle Dockers, its logo and jumper.

As part of that process, the club engaged consultants who were given a brief to research the relevance of the club?s brand elements (name, logo and jumper) amongst its members, supporters, sponsors, stakeholders and other interested parties.

The research that was undertaken in 2009 included but was not limited to face-to-face interviews with supporters at home games and an on-line survey of the brand elements that was sent to club members.

More than 2900 members took part in the survey in May 2009.

Fremantle chief executive officer Steve Rosich said the key theme for each of the brand elements, which emanated from the 2009 review and member survey, was that they convey ?strength, simplicity and authenticity?.

?The colour purple was the brand element that members and other stakeholders ?most strongly felt? should be associated with the Fremantle Football Club,? he said.

?Purple was seen as being ?strong, liked and unique?. Consequently, the colour purple features prominently in both the new logo and jumper design.?

Rosich said that along with the reinvigoration of Fremantle?s playing list over the past two years, the new logo and jumper design were in keeping with the club?s aim of achieving sustained success on and off the field.

?In time, the unveiling of our new logo and jumper will be regarded as an important phase in our club?s history. It is both an exciting development to be part of and a major plank of our future direction,? he said.

?Significantly, we will officially call ourselves the ?Fremantle Dockers

Rosich said that the new logo would entrench the anchor as a lasting symbol of the Fremantle Dockers Football Club.

?Furthermore our new jumper, which was inspired by the heritage jumper first worn by the Dockers in 2003 at the MCG, is both an important tribute to our past and an acknowledgement of our football origins.

?We are proud of our 16 year history and proud of the jumper and logo that we have worn and displayed with pride in that time.

?Given the nature of the changes to our logo and jumper and their undeniable acknowledgement to where we have come from as a football club, let there be no doubt that our new logo and jumper will be worn with as much pride in the future as they were in the past.?

Rosich also said that consideration to changing the club song was not undertaken as part of the review process to date.

?Now that an arrangement has been struck with Levi Strauss & Co that process will now take place.

?In the 2011 pre-season, the club will seek feedback from members, supporters and the general public on the Fremantle Dockers? club song, including possible alternatives,? he said.

?One of the options will be to retain the existing club song.?

The club was delighted to reach an arrangement with Levi Strauss and Co and thanks the company and key staff involved for their cooperation.

Background

this logo is terrible! it looks like its been made on ms paint! and im a fremantle fan!

I like it. But as with a lot of modernised club identities, it loses something that made the old logo and look had. It loses its heart I guess. Aesthetically its quite nice and I really like the new jerseys, but its almost too simple now, and the logo its really bland I'm affraid. Anyway, I still like it and I assume it will grow on me a bit more as time goes on. I'm not an AFL fan, but obviously I take an interest in these things.

I always did think that they had one too many colours (even though they probably now have not enough) and I also liked their heritage jumper with the red version of what they have now and the black shorts. So I'm pretty impressed with how it all came to fruition.... but like I said, it's lost something in the mix.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

A+ from me. Simple in it's execution and the monogram passes the "could a 6 year old draw this" test. The jumper draws from some nice historical cues and is a design which will stand the test of time. The current one was starting to look a bit too 1990s-ish.

liverpool-1.png

Archived