Islanders Leaving Long Island?

DustDevil61

From the Associated Press through Yahoo! Sports:

Isles to explore all options, including moving

Of all the teams in the NHL, the New York Islanders are one of the teams that I don't want to see move, with all their Stanley Cup championships in the 80s and their rivalry with the Rangers. However, if they must move, I'd be all for a move to Hartford (provided an arena is in place). What are your thoughts on the subject? Discuss it here.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate thread.) :blush:

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Associated Press through Yahoo! Sports:

Isles to explore all options, including moving

Of all the teams in the NHL, the New York Islanders are one of the teams that I don't want to see move, with all their Stanley Cup championships in the 80s and their rivalry with the Rangers. However, if they must move, I'd be all for a move to Hartford (provided an arena is in place). What are your thoughts on the subject? Discuss it here.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate thread.) :blush:

You forgot to mention numerous important parts of the story. Sorry, but you fail.

1-Isles owner Charles Wang and Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi agreed to a long-term lease that would keep the team at a renovated Nassau Coliseum through 2030.

2-Then Wang turned around and said he was cutting off talks unless the development project was immediately approved: "This is not the point to start negotiating anything. It's yes or no."

3-The threat was levied at the Hempstead town board, which has yet to agree to zoning changes to allow Wang and partner Scott Rechler to build the $3.8 billion Lighthouse project, which would include a hotel, office buildings, and a convention center, on what's currently public land around the arena. (Under the new lease, Wang would spend $320 million of his own money to renovate Nassau Coliseum, plus pay $1.5 million in rent, but would get to lease 77 acres of county-owned land for $1.).

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/2009/10/3856_islanders_sign.html

I'd like a move to Canada if it had to happen.

-Dan

Same for me. With some obvious candidates lacking a suitable arena, I don't really have a preference in cities. I just want the league to have a 7th canadian franchise. :flagcanada:

Kansas City Islanders.

EDIT: Was that always in the sub heading? Anyways, since my lame one liner has already been taken, I think that 3 teams in the NY/NJ area is excessive, and the Islanders, who despite their SC wins in the 80s, is one of the most forgettable teams in sports, probably for the reason they're #3 in their own market. At least, pretty much no matter where they move, they'll look better, that's an up.

Why does everybody want Kansas City to have an NHL team? They're not even the largest market without an NHL team in North America. Houston is, and on a much grander scale.

Bias aside, I want the Islanders to stay put for the most part, but it wouldn't kill me if they moved. In fact, it would be better if they moved to Canada.

Could the team make a deal with the New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets with the Barclays Center?

If so, can the team nickname still be the Islanders?

Yes technically Brooklyn is part of Long Island

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Why does everybody want Kansas City to have an NHL team? They're not even the largest market without an NHL team in North America. Houston is, and on a much grander scale.

Bias aside, I want the Islanders to stay put for the most part, but it wouldn't kill me if they moved. In fact, it would be better if they moved to Canada.

Kansas City has the arena already built. That should throw them to the front of the line.

VmWIn6B.png

People want KC in since the Scouts left and there are too many here, while young or old, who romanticize sport to excess. Kansas City built a new facility with no real tenant and no real hopes to land one, however people on the CCSLC love to dream.

They have a brand spanking new arena sitting there without a major tenant. That's why.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

We got the Devils and Rangers here, may be its time for the Isles to go. This is a franchise that has been poorly run for 20 years and has had one con after another, and their fan base seems to be all but gone.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Thank you Princeton Review of Books.

I forgot this is the Oxford Chat room there is no room here for informality we must speak like we have an iron rod inserted up our spines.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Thank you Princeton Review of Books.

I forgot this is the Oxford Chat room there is no room here for informality we must speak like we have an iron rod inserted up our spines.

Every post you give us, I appreciate the education which my parents delivered me and they were successful.

Archived