Islanders Leaving Long Island?

DustDevil61

They sucked for two years in the mid-1970s and then disappeared from memory forever, kind of like a bad game show.

/Magnificent Marble Machine'd

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saintsfan, just because I'm like this it'd be filled for about 80 nights not 160 but anyways I think the Barclays Center is the best solution right now for the Isles if not then KC or Houston based on the fact they have arenas ready unlike Hartford. Hartford would be a great place for them to land though.

d'oh my mistake, wasn't thinking perfectly straight there lol! That does make the Barclays Center more feasible. Would Brooklyn bring in hockey fans?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The longer that Kansas City arena sits without a team, the less viable it is.

Think Tropicana Field - they built for a team which never came, and by the time they got one the outdated stadium was a stone around the club's neck.

Baseball stadium architectural trends changed radically between the late 80s when the Trop was built and late 90s when they finally got a team. There's not going to be any such changes to hockey/basketball arenas. That sea change has already come and gone and simply been about "bigger is better", like Spectrum -> Wachovia Center, Chicago Stadium -> United Center, etc.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Wang and Rechler are being far too arrogent for their own good.

The Lighthouse project as Wang currently envisons it is incredibly flawed and is also terribly out of place for the region. First, the area does not need any additional retail. There are two major shopping malls within two miles of the Colisseum site. There are also two major retail corridors on Old Country Road and Hempstead Turnpike. Wang's mall will not add retail to the area and more likely than not will take away from the established retail already in the area. I'd be more on board with the additional retail if Wang came out saying he already had retail tennants committed to the Lighthouse. He has not.

The idea of a renovated NVMC also is not enough. The building needs to be leveled and a new arena needs to take its place. For years the deterioration of the arena has been a major issue. Considering the county has failed to spend money to fix the building over the years any renovation would have to be a complete gutting and by that point it would be best to just build the a new building. I think it was short sighted of Wang to only propose a renovation when it is plainly clear that a completely new building needs to be built.

A lot of the posturing is political between the Nassau County government run by Democrats and the Town of Hempstead which is run by the Republicans. Also, suprise, suprise both the Countywide office holders (County Executive, DA, County Clerk, etc.) and the entier County Legislature is up for re-elaction as are the Town of Hempstead Supervisor and at least three of the Town Board members.

The reality is this if Wang wants the project to go through he sould have it go in stages. The Town has already said that if the proposal were just for a new arena this would have been a done deal years ago. Wang and his partner Rechler would be wiser to make the initial proposal for the arena and the Marriott which they also own and maybe a portion of the retail he wants. Next in a second stage would come in the housing, etc.

In the most recent hearing before the Town Board when qestioned Wang's traffic expert appeared unprepared to answer the board's questions regarding the impact this project would have particularly on Hempstead Turnpike which is a road that is already at capacity.

It is a rare day that I would say anything good about what's being done over at Clown Hall in Hempstead but in this instance they're right. Wang would have had his arena and at least a portion of his project approved had he been willing to compromise and stage the project. I would also say as a die hard Islander fan for over twenty-five years that Wang's ownership while stable has produced nothing. The franchise is a laughing stock and as he claims to be frustrated with TOH, I'm quite frankly frustrated with him. There is a rabid fan base on Long Island but due to the condition of the franchise and the arena for the past decade they've stayed at home. Can't say I blame them. Put a quality product on the ice and the fans will return to NVMC in droves.

Quoted. For. Truth.

Pretty much sums up what needs to be said about this.

The Islanders have not recovered from John Spano, and his fraud and I dont think they ever will.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Newsday today is reporting that the Queens Chamber of Commerce is making a huge push to try and lure the Isles and The Lighthouse project to the Willets Point development in Queens. Honestly for the scale of what Wang and Rechler want to do this might be the perfect location for them. If they moved over to Queens I wouldn't be too bent out of shape over it.

That would keep all the orange, blue, and bad in one location.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What about the Knicks?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Isles by Citi Field? That would be strange

Kind of but to me it actually makes more sense to build something ont he scale of The Lighthouse in Willits Point. Initially there was a proposal to build a convention center and hotel/retail complex across the street from Citi Field. Substitute a new arena for the Isles which could double as the convention center. The five-star hotel option is better for Flushing because in that area it would draw business potentially year round as if it's built it would be the only high-end hotel option close to LaGuardia Airport. The area seems more viable for a major retail development and there would be a demand for housing in the area close to the subway/LIRR and an easy trip into Manhattan. The only element that would have to be changed would be the 36 story tower since it would be too tall of a structure that close to LGA.

As much as I hate to say it this site makes more sense all around for the project Wang and Rechler envisioned than the current NCVMC site in Uniondale.

What about the Knicks?

Touché.

Willets Point is an inspired idea. The team would serve the same market, but in a much better location for the development plan.

EDIT: Wonder if they would consider re-designing the logo? Would seem kind of ungrateful, to have the whole of Long Island across the players' chests, except the part of Long Island which actually build them a home.

Willets Point is an inspired idea. The team would serve the same market, but in a much better location for the development plan.

EDIT: Wonder if they would consider re-designing the logo? Would seem kind of ungrateful, to have the whole of Long Island across the players' chests, except the part of Long Island which actually build them a home.

I don't know...there's a lot of history with their logo, and we all know what happened when they did re-design it the first time around...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Why does everybody want Kansas City to have an NHL team? They're not even the largest market without an NHL team in North America. Houston is, and on a much grander scale.

Bias aside, I want the Islanders to stay put for the most part, but it wouldn't kill me if they moved. In fact, it would be better if they moved to Canada.

They have a brand spanking new arena sitting there without a major tenant. That's why.

Now this is a FAIL.

Oh, I know. I just think it's funny that Kings and Queens Counties are the only parts of Long Island not included on the Islanders' crest, if they end up moving into NYC.

Oh I see what you're saying now...same logo for all intents and purposes just the Island part will represent "more" LI territory. That could easily work nice in an update...and it could get rid of the part of the "I" in Islanders that overlaps the Island and changes color.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived