Operation Duck

puckcool22

Then again, there's been a few stupid names in NHL history.

Yeah.... like the Maple LEAFS? :D That's just bad grammar.

*braces for substantially large Canadian backlash...*

:flagcanada::cursing::evil:

i could go into an entire lecture on why they are named the maple leafs. however i wont. lets just say when con smyth bought the team he wanted a patriotic name. whats a better patriotic name for a canadian team? personally i think the leafs have one of the best identity packages in sports. u want to talk about stupid names? how about thrashers. at least we all know what a maple leafs is. what is a thrasher? and how do u get a bird with a hockey stick out of thrashers?

please explain nitro.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you blame them? they come from Toronto for Gods sake!

laugh it up, laugh it up. just remember, montreal's team is named after a nationality. both teams wanted patriotic names, but the canadaians is just blatent. i hate it when teams name themselvs after nationnalities. montreal canadians, rochester amercans, ect...

Nitroseed I think you and I might be the same person. As soon as I saw this thread I opened up google, searched for the state bird of Georgia, and got a link to the same exact picture that you posted. You beat me to it by about 10 minutes.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

So do you! lol

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

So do you! lol

GTA, not toronto...Toronto isn't THAT big ^_^

isnt the thrasher the state bird of georgia?

Yes, the Brown Thrasher is the state bird of Georgia.

brown_thrasher.jpg

:D All I'm saying is we know how to properly pluralize... ^_^

Oh, it's an ACTUAL animal?

Oh My Lord!

Now I can tell my friends I know what a thrasher is!

So is the Predator the state animal for Tennessee? (sp)

And as for the spelling of the Maple Leafs...

It just works.

Conn Smythe was a great GM, but obviously not one for grammatical accuracy.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

They were named the Predators as a tribute to the sabertooth tiger fossils that were found at the construction site of the First American Center in 1971. Well, okay, they were named that after fans chose the name, but that was the reasoning behind the name.

And Tenessee's state bird (all 50 states have official state birds, not just any animal) is the mockingbird... much different from a predator.

And Tenessee's state bird (all 50 states have official state birds, not just any animal) is the mockingbird... much different from a predator.

Oh, come on now. A hummingbird would wallop any back-talking flower in a second. That is pure predator-ness if i see it. ;)

Ooooh...Ice Cream Man. Gotta go.

[AD - NCFA] Arctic University Kodiaks (5-1-0, CONF 0-0-0)

[Owner - NABA] Arctic Menace (18-12)

Copying JQK and CC

Minneapolis.gif

VP.jpg

They were named the Predators as a tribute to the sabertooth tiger fossils that were found at the construction site of the First American Center in 1971. Well, okay, they were named that after fans chose the name, but that was the reasoning behind the name.

Kinda makes me wonder why there isn't any teams from Raleigh named the Cardinals.... they're everywhere. Beautiful, but everywhere! Sometime's It's like a scene out of Queer Eye for the Hitchcock Movie.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

It's a wonder Conn Smythe never called them the "Tronno Maple-Leafs-eh?"

Well, actually, that's all I've ever heard them called, but apparently the official spelling is different.

Also, the Thrasher... Oooh scary scary, that bird would struggle to beat worms in a fair fight.

Also, while we're on team names, can anyone tell me the difference between a Canadien and a Canuck?

There's plenty of silly names going about, Ducks is just one of them.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I love to hate the Leafs ... living in Buffalo, thats the way of life. Leafs fans and Sabres fans are like warriors from a similar land .. destined to eternal battle by way of loyalty.

Regardless ... I gotta agree with Icecap. The Leafs identity is easily one of the most iconic in sports. I'll give the Yankees their due credit as most recognizable brand in sports .. but the Leafs have defined their brand really well .. the only brand that can come close is the Nazi's. Those dirty bastards knew how to create a brand.

(and yes I did intentionally draw parallels from the Leafs to the Nazis ... I hate you both ... in very different ways ... but the hate remains) :D

A Canuck is a boy-it's-hot-in-here west coast Canadian person. Real rough and lumberjackish and they like whales. A Canadien is a sort of snobby, east-coast French-type Canadian person. What I'm trying to say is, is that there's absolutely no difference. The really interesting thing is that back in the day there were-count 'em- FOUR Canadian hockey teams in the NHL that all really had the same identity:

Toronto Maple Leafs- Maple Leaf is symbol of Canada

Montreal Canadiens- Canadien is French for Canada-ish

Vancouver Canucks- A Canuck is a person from Canada

Quebec Nordiques- "Northerners", meaning from Canada

I'd like to see a Canadian team called the Loonies.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I love to hate the Leafs ... living in Buffalo, thats the way of life. Leafs fans and Sabres fans are like warriors from a similar land .. destined to eternal battle by way of loyalty.

Regardless ... I gotta agree with Icecap. The Leafs identity is easily one of the most iconic in sports. I'll give the Yankees their due credit as most recognizable brand in sports .. but the Leafs have defined their brand really well .. the only brand that can come close is the Nazi's. Those dirty bastards knew how to create a brand.

(and yes I did intentionally draw parallels from the Leafs to the Nazis ... I hate you both ... in very different ways ... but the hate remains) :D

That's just wrong. I alwyas thought that if any pro team could be paralleled to the Nazis, it would be the Red Sox. But even that's wrong, because the Nazis' last win came more than 30 years after Bostons' last win.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

But even that's wrong, because the Nazis' last win came more than 30 years after Bostons' last win.

Oh, my... I'm sure my soul is damned for laughing at that, but that's funny. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived