Honoring past leagues with replicas....

jhans203

So, I don't mind throwbacks to the same team name and name of a different era, but different team name and clubs are silly.

So, I don't want to see:

-The Houston Astros wearing Houston Colt 45s unis

-Baltimore Orioles wearing Baltimore Black Sox unis

-New Jersey Nets wearing New York Nets unis

Are you aware the the 45's simply changed their name when they moved into the Astrodome? And that the Nets simply changed their name from NY to NJ when they moved to NJ.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love logos and uniforms from all eras.

The premise of graphic design is to communicate ideas to audience (or something like that =)). So, when a team dons a uniform, it tells me that the people wearing uniform X are on team X.

So, it really annoys me to watch team X wear the uniform of team Y. Really annoys me. Really!

So, I don't mind throwbacks to the same team name and name of a different era, but different team name and clubs are silly.

So, I don't want to see:

I don't mind seeing:

-Milwaukee Brewers in 1987 throwback unis

-Detroit Lions in 1950s throwback unis

Just my two cents.

Are you concerned that, were the Orioles to wear Black Sox uniforms, you would tune into the game, get confused and think you were watching a revived Negro League game?

So, I don't want to see:

Are you aware the the 45's simply changed their name when they moved into the Astrodome? And that the Nets simply changed their name from NY to NJ when they moved to NJ.

Yeah, I don't get that either.

Wearing the throwback uniform of an unrelated team of the same name is okay, but wearing a throwback to a uniform the same team wore in another city, or with an old name, is "silly"? I don't see the logic.

So, I don't want to see:

Are you aware that the name of the NBA team playing in New Jersey is the "New Jersey Nets" and not the "New York Nets"?

Are you aware that the name of the MLB team in Houston, TX is the "Houston Astros" and not the "Houston Colt 45's"?

No team should wear a uniform of a different nickname or city/state/area name.

So, I don't want to see:

Are you aware that the name of the NBA team playing in New Jersey is the "New Jersey Nets" and not the "New York Nets"?

Are you aware that the name of the MLB team in Houston, TX is the "Houston Astros" and not the "Houston Colt 45's"?

No team should wear a uniform of a different nickname or city/state/area name.

But they are the same franchise, we are not talking about two different teams.

jNTsTyQ.png

So, I don't want to see:

Yeah, I don't get that either.

Wearing the throwback uniform of an unrelated team of the same name is okay, but wearing a throwback to a uniform the same team wore in another city, or with an old name, is "silly"? I don't see the logic.

Apparently you don't understand that uniforms serve a few purposes, one of them helping spectators identify who the teams are. So, a throwback to an old uniform by the same team is fine. Let's take the Red Sox. Whether the Boston Red Sox are wearing a 1974, 1986, 2003 or 2009 road uniform, they all contain words and logos that indicate that players/coaches in this uniform are members of the Boston Red Sox, a baseball team. Which would be true. If the BoSox were to don the 1902 road unis of the Boston Somersets, for example, they would be showing the viewer that the people wearing these uniforms are the Boston Somersets, which would be false.

This really isn't a hard concept to grasp people. Uniforms serve a purpose. They're more than a revenue source for teams.

I love logos and uniforms from all eras.

The premise of graphic design is to communicate ideas to audience (or something like that =)). So, when a team dons a uniform, it tells me that the people wearing uniform X are on team X.

So, it really annoys me to watch team X wear the uniform of team Y. Really annoys me. Really!

So, I don't want to see:

I don't mind seeing:

-Milwaukee Brewers in 1987 throwback unis

-Detroit Lions in 1950s throwback unis

Just my two cents.

Are you concerned that, were the Orioles to wear Black Sox uniforms, you would tune into the game, get confused and think you were watching a revived Negro League game?

Um, no. Does Jeremy Guthrie pitch for the Baltimore Black Sox? Um, no. Do you understand the purpose of graphic design? Um, no.

I send one light-hearted response and losers (with no reason) jump all over me.

For what it's worth, the Rays (and before, the Devil Rays) have done "throwbacks" to former professional teams in the Bay area, such as the Tampa Tarpons and the St. Pete Pelicans.

rays.jpg

I cannot for the life of me find a Pelicans 5950 anywhere around here, and I would love to have one. Those colors are beautiful.

I know. That's one thing that bugs me about the team. We don't have anybody who wears stirrups. Most teams have at least one or two.

Matito: My first 5950 hat was a Pelicans hat. They're out there somewhere. Also Greg Zaun wears sturrips.

So, when a team dons a uniform, it tells me that the people wearing uniform X are on team X.

Um, no. Does Jeremy Guthrie pitch for the Baltimore Black Sox? Um, no.

So if you can still tell what team it is even if they are wearing a throwback of another nickname/city/team, then doesn't that refute your argument against throwbacks of other nicknames/cities/teams (or at least the part that the uniform was what told you what team the players were on)?

Is there any kind of consistent logic behind your arguments? Um, no.

Archived