Canadian Hockey World Juniors

NEW.ERA

Once during a pre tournament game and in the Gold Medal Game if they make it.

CALGARY -- Canada's world junior hockey team is going green.

Hockey Canada announced Saturday that the Canadian junior team will wear green jerseys during next year's IIHF world junior hockey championship in Regina and Saskatoon.

The jerseys are designed to honour the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders, and were unveiled Saturday during the Saskatchewan-B.C. Lions game in Regina.

"Green is the colour a hockey is the game," says Scott Smith, chief operating officer of Hockey Canada. "It's exciting to release a special version of the Hockey Canada jersey," Hockey Canada chief operating officer Scott Smith said in a statement.

"We believe fans in Saskatchewan, and throughout Canada, will rally around the green jerseys prior to and during the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship."

The Canadians will wear the jerseys twice -- once in a pre-competition game and once during the gold-medal game, if they make it that far. Canada is attempting to win its sixth straight world junior championship.

Hockey Canada also announced that it will auction off the game-worn jerseys from the tournament on eBay. Details of the auction will be released in late December.

The tournament begins Dec. 26.

green_55658.jpg

I'm all for it Green is Saskatchewan and The Green works well with the Red and Black perfect for the Holiday Season.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well, I guess its a nice shout out to Saskatchewan. Kind of strange to see a Canadian national team in green. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

And could Hockey Canada not get a better photograph that would at least show the whole jersey?

They could have at least used Rider green if that's what it's supposed to be honouring. Either way, it's not bad, it's not great, it's just meh. Still hate the collar of the jersey though. BTW, Finland, Russia, Sweden and Germany all have new Olympic jerseys. Most are just a slight change from last years models with the subtle monotone graphics on the sleeves and back just like the US jersey. Check em out at icejerseys.com. Interestingly enough, Finland did exactly what i suggested on here last year to get around the national federation logo ban. Wonder if I can get some royalties out of it?

They look pretty good, although I think that they would look better if they had red shoulders. I'm just a little confused as to why they are honouring a football team with hockey jerseys. I also don't like the fact that they are going to wear them in the gold medal game (if they get there). I would much rather see our boys celebrating a sixth-straight championship in our national colours, than in some one-offs made to honour a team that plays a completely different sport.

I can't believe they are gonna wear this in the GOLD MEDAL GAME !?

I can barley understand why they would want to honor the mediocre Saskatchewan Roughriders, but doing so in the gold medal game? Completely idiotic.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

This just rubs me the wrong way. I don't care that they are planning on wearing a green jersey if they want, although I think it's a stupid, non-hockey reason to do so just to kiss ass with the locals, but it just speaks to the arrogance of Hockey Canada to plan on wearing it during the Gold Medal game. Show some humility and schedule the damn thing to be worn during the group stage when you know you will be wearing it. Pick Christmas or Boxing Day or New Year's Eve if possible to make it a special occasion. They don't deserve to make the Gold Medal game now just for being so arrogant.

I hope this doesn't set a precedent of coming up with some goofy alt that ties into the local host every time Canada hosts the tournament from now on, but fear they can't pass up the opportunity to try to cash in on jersey sales with this scheme. Perhaps they will learn some humility this time out as far a scheduling them goes.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I can not find an article where it shows anything about it being on the Gold medal game ... just on here.

Link?

The Canadians will wear the jerseys twice -- once in a pre-competition game and once during the gold-medal game, if they make it that far. Canada is attempting to win its sixth straight world junior championship.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Interesting that they would go against the tradition and change something if they make the final.

I think spyboy hit it on the head. A different regional jersey each year equals huge sales of the jersey in that area.

I can not find an article where it shows anything about it being on the Gold medal game ... just on here.

Link?

That is a quote, not a link ...

:blink:

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

looks like they've adjusted the "gold medal game" line in the press release to something a bit more humble.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=295933

CALGARY -- Canada's world junior hockey team is going green.

Hockey Canada announced Saturday that the Canadian junior team will wear green jerseys during next year's IIHF world junior hockey championship in Regina and Saskatoon.

The jerseys are designed to honour the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders, and were unveiled Saturday during the Saskatchewan-B.C. Lions game in Regina.

"Green is the colour . . . hockey is the game," says Scott Smith, chief operating officer of Hockey Canada. "It's exciting to release a special version of the Hockey Canada jersey," Hockey Canada chief operating officer Scott Smith said in a statement.

"We believe fans in Saskatchewan, and throughout Canada, will rally around the green jerseys prior to and during the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship."

The Canadians will wear the jerseys twice -- once in a pre-competition game and one other time during the tournament. Canada is attempting to win its sixth straight world junior championship.

Hockey Canada also announced that it will auction off the game-worn jerseys from the tournament on eBay. Details of the auction will be released in late December.

The tournament begins Dec. 26.

zzPEfBm.png

I find this interesting, in more than one way.

I wonder if this is the start of the "soccerization" of hockey sweaters, where governing bodies can make more money than just having a normal white and dark jersey. In addition, I also wonder if you're going to have more international games with both teams wearing their dark jerseys, kind of like the NHL All-Star Game a few years ago where one team wore all blue and the other team all red (with the goalies wearing white).

I could justify Canada's choice of green in a few ways unrelated to the Saskatchewan Roughriders:

1) You're playing for the crest, not just the jersey;

2) The maple leaf, for much of the year, is green and not red;

3) There are numerous teams in the tournament (Russia, Czech Republic, Norway, Austria. Switzerland) whose predominant color is red; why not make a change and earn more money off jersey sales?

Thoughts, people/

Finally, Canada's green jerseys in Ice Hockey for the original Nintendo make sense!

Ice_Hockey_NES_ScreenShot4.gif

:D

I'm still waiting for those brown Poland jerseys and those grey Czech jerseys.

That was the best hockey game ever -- until Blades of Steel came along.

philly.png

Archived