NBA Season Thread

Gary

Kevin Durant. Another guy who will forever haunt The Portland Trail Blazers.

Him, along with Micheal Jordan. Even as a Jazz fan, I've got to feel sorry for the Blazers. As bad as the rash of injuries we've had over the last couple of years, it hasn't been nearly as bad for Portland, with Greg Oden and also historically.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kevin Durant scored 45 points on 87.5% shooting tonight (with 11 rebounds to boot) in a 112-104 win over the Warriors.87.5% from the field. That's freaking amazing. He's not even done developing yet, he's nowhere near the ceiling of his potential. As soon as Kobe's reign of terror ends, the torch will be passed to Durant. He is that good.
Kevin Durant. Another guy who will forever haunt The Portland Trail Blazers. I haven't seen much if this kid but what I've seen has been pretty damned impressive. He looks like a keeper.**(I promise that my NBA posts will improve. I'm still catching up so bear with me.)

Well to be fair, they had a rising star in Brandon Roy at the same position as Durant. I still think Oden will have a healthy year coming soon, and end this whole bust deal.

Congrats to Kobe for passing Jerry West as the All-Time Leading Scorer in Lakers history...

Wow Kobe and passing in the same sentence for the first time ever. :P

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Kevin Durant scored 45 points on 87.5% shooting tonight (with 11 rebounds to boot) in a 112-104 win over the Warriors.87.5% from the field. That's freaking amazing. He's not even done developing yet, he's nowhere near the ceiling of his potential. As soon as Kobe's reign of terror ends, the torch will be passed to Durant. He is that good.
Kevin Durant. Another guy who will forever haunt The Portland Trail Blazers. I haven't seen much if this kid but what I've seen has been pretty damned impressive. He looks like a keeper.**(I promise that my NBA posts will improve. I'm still catching up so bear with me.)

Well to be fair, they had a rising star in Brandon Roy at the same position as Durant. I still think Oden will have a healthy year coming soon, and end this whole bust deal.

Were it any team but Portland I might agree but The Blazers have a bit of a history with big men who have bad legs. Bill Walton, Sam Bowie, and now Greg Oden. Granted, Walton led them to a title but who knows how many they would have win had he stayed healthy. I hope you're right and Greg Oden goes on to have a stellar career. I'm not a big believer in "curses" or "omens" but after seeing it happen to Portland yet again, I gotta wonder a little. :D

On Brandon Roy: You make a fair point but Kevin Durant is a tremendous talent. I don't care who you already have, if Durant is available you take him. Houston already had Ralph Sampson at center when they drafted Hakeem Olajuwon. If a sure thing is there, you take the sure thing. From all I remember at the time, everyone was touting Durant as a sure thing. Oden had questions even before the draft. Just saying...

BB52Big.jpg

On Brandon Roy: You make a fair point but Kevin Durant is a tremendous talent. I don't care who you already have, if Durant is available you take him. Houston already had Ralph Sampson at center when they drafted Hakeem Olajuwon. If a sure thing is there, you take the sure thing. From all I remember at the time, everyone was touting Durant as a sure thing. Oden had questions even before the draft. Just saying...

So you think Durant is already better than Roy?

HAPPY 1,000th POST TO ME!

1000_posts.jpg

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I haven't been back in the warm embrace of The NBA long enough to say but that's beside the point.

I never said Durant was better. I said that if Kevin Durant is available, you draft him. I believe in always drafting the best player available. Portland already had Clyde Drexler which is why they passed on Jordan and took Bowie. If I were the GM at the time then I draft Jordan and find a way to make it work. That's all. Here's a better example; in 1979 The Lakers had a pretty good point guard named Norm Nixon. They also held the first pick in the draft that year. They didn't pass on Magic Johnson just because they already had a pretty good point guard. The Lakers won two titles with Magic and Nixon playing on the same team. Then they traded Nixon and ended up with Byron Scott in 1983. They won three more titles with Magic and Byron Scott. All I'm saying is that you draft the best guy and find a way to make it work.

If memory serves, there were more questions about Greg Oden than there were about Kevin Durant in the draft that year.

BB52Big.jpg

Goddamn right he is! But that's beside the point. You could play Roy at 2 and Durant at 3. You think they wouldn't like to trot those two guys out there 82 nights a year? Well, as many games as Roy would be healty enough to play anyway...lol.

Or would Blazer fans rather have Martell Webster and Jerryd Bayless? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If memory serves, there were more questions about Greg Oden than there were about Kevin Durant in the draft that year.

Yeah, with Oden, the concern was that he was perilously injury-prone, while the knock on Durant was that he couldn't bench a toothpick. Portland decided that weight could be added but height couldn't. Probably not a clever move, since Oden probably has too many hard miles on him from all the injuries to really live up to his draft position. Probably not going have a very illustrious NBA career, but apparently he has Monsters of :censored: to fall back on.

EDIT: lol censorship.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This shouldn?t be news to anybody here, but another thing you have to take into consideration when drafting these unproven talents is how many years will it realistically take for them to develop into the type of player you need? Also, is it realistic that they?ll stick around once they finally get to that level? Let?s take Jermaine O'Neal for example, he was drafted out of high school by Portland, and he clearly didn?t develop into his full potential until he moved to Indiana.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Basketball, more than any sport, has its best players arrive the closest to full-formed. You're generally not drafting projects at 1 and 2, unless you're a retard and draft Tyrus Thomas or something.

Basketball, more than any sport, has its best players arrive the closest to full-formed. You're generally not drafting projects at 1 and 2, unless you're a retard and draft Tyrus Thomas or something.

Or you're Detroit and you pass on Carmelo Anthony for Darko whatever the :censored: his last name is. Talk about the perfect example of my draft the best player available theory. Does anyone think Carmelo Anthony wouldn't have helped The Pistons?

BB52Big.jpg

Yes. Larry Brown is notoriously reluctant to play his rookies, and Carmelo inevitably would've spent a lot of that championship year on the bench anyway. Top picks belong on bad teams so that they're able to contribute straight out of the gate; if anything, the Pistons should've been mindful of the rookie-unfriendly climate of their contending team and exchanged it for a proven commodity from a bad team, though again they won a championship so who's to say.

It's hard to condemn the Pistons too much for the Milicic pick, seeing as it didn't really set the franchise back or anything so much as just not really amount to anything much. The Pistons kind of fell into an embarrassment of riches between having Joe Dumars, Larry Brown, Chauncey Billups, and a #2 pick, and they squandered a little bit of it like most people with embarrassments of riches so often tend to do.

Were it any team but Portland I might agree but The Blazers have a bit of a history with big men who have bad legs. Bill Walton, Sam Bowie, and now Greg Oden. Granted, Walton led them to a title but who knows how many they would have win had he stayed healthy. I hope you're right and Greg Oden goes on to have a stellar career. I'm not a big believer in "curses" or "omens" but after seeing it happen to Portland yet again, I gotta wonder a little. :D

IIRC correctly Durant had questions about his strentgh going into the draft. He had an embarrassing number of reps in the bench press that raised questions on whether he could stand the grind of an NBA season. With that said, I'm still taking Durant over Oden, every time.

I'm surprised he lasted this long there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived