2008 BCS Playoffs (What it would have looked like)

jgiff17

EAST REGION

ACC Champ VIRGINIA TECH #19

Lane Stadium

At L BCS#4 ALABAMA #4

East Region Final

Winner of VT/ALA

Orange Bowl

SEC Champ FLORIDA #2

NORTH REGION

Big East Champ CINCINNATTI #12

Nippert Stadium

At L BCS#9 BOISE STATE #9

North Region Final

Winner CIN/BSU

Motor City Bowl

Big Ten Champ PENN STATE #8

SOUTH REGION

CUSA Champ EAST CAROLINA NR

Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium

At L BCS#3 TEXAS #3

South Region Final

Winner of ECU/TX

Sugar Bowl

Big XII Champ OKLAHOMA #1

WEST REGION

MWC Champ UTAH #6

Rice-Eccles Stadium

At L BCS#7 TEXAS TECH #7

West Region Final

Winner of UTAH/TXT

Holiday Bowl

Pac Ten Champ USC #5

SEMI FINALS

West Region Winner

Fiesta Bowl

South Region Winner

East Region Winner

Chick-fil-a Bowl

North Region Winner

FINAL

West/South

Rose Bowl

East/ North

1. Four major conf champs get first round bye (SEC, Big 10, Big XII, Pac 10)in respective regional bracket.

2. Four "mid-major" confs get automatic bids and first round home game (CUSA, MW, ACC, Big East)

3. Last four remaining spots will be filled with the best of the rest from the final BCS standings after all regular season games have been played. At large BCS teams will go from best to worst allowing for the higher ranked team in the BCS to be placed into their conf region, if that spot is not available then the closest region to the school campus is selected.

4. All games will be played on Sat. starting at 11amEST game 1, 2:30EST game 2, 5:00EST game 3, and 8:00EST game 4.

5. Regions will rotate for the National Championship site, for example: West-Pasadena, CA (Rose Bowl), North-Indianapolis, IN (Lucas Oil Stadium), South-Dallas, TX (Cotton Bowl-New Cowboys Stadium), East-Miami, FL (Orange Bowl))

6. A site must wait 8 years before becoming a National Championship site again.

7. If an actual bowl site is used then that bowl must be replaced within the bracket if it is normally used...Rose Bowl replaced with Holiday Bowl in this example.

4. All games will be played on Sat. starting at 11am on the East Coast.

Yes, the TV networks will be thrilled at that idea. Did you really think this thing out before posting it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes, the TV networks will be thrilled at that idea. Did you really think this thing out before posting it?

I suppose you don't get up before 7pm to watch college football? For example you would start with east regional game (11:00EST), then south reg game (2:30EST), north reg game (5:00 EST), then finally west reg game (8:00EST). A whole day of meaningful games instead of watching the armed forces bowl or some crap, I am pretty sure that people will get up as real college football fans do every week and make it to the game site or onto their couches to watch four more weeks of meaningful football. But hey if you don't wake up before 7pm to watch football then maybe you should go back to making concepts for dunkin donuts or make your way over to the world of warcraft forums;)

For some reason, East Carolina University gets screwed over :upside:

Screwed over by getting a chance to play for a national championship game? or because they have a first round home game?...I'm lost because if you are talking about playing Texas then just don't win the conf and then they could play in the bellybumperbeerguzzler.com bowl or something. The smaller schools are screaming for respect, well this is a great setup to not only prove themselves against top notch opponents that they might not always get to schedule, but to also have a chance to win a national championship which right now East Carolina has NO chance!

Should the title say "What it could have looked like?"

The OP should not even use the term BCS as the ACC and Big East are actually a part of the set of conferences, thus should not be referred to as "mid-tier".

And yes, there was no reason for this or to look at the '09 versions which we will see in the next three weeks.

For some reason, East Carolina University gets screwed over :upside:

Screwed over by getting a chance to play for a national championship game? or because they have a first round home game?...I'm lost because if you are talking about playing Texas then just don't win the conf and then they could play in the bellybumperbeerguzzler.com bowl or something. The smaller schools are screaming for respect, well this is a great setup to not only prove themselves against top notch opponents that they might not always get to schedule, but to also have a chance to win a national championship which right now East Carolina has NO chance!

My comment was sarcastic and demonstrating the ridiculousness of the BCS playoff scenarios.

we're doing this again? :therock:

yes the smell is in the air and we have 3 undefeated teams that more than likely will not sniff the National championship game, so I know I know this has been discussed and obsessed about year after year, but I have dwindled it down from 32 to 12...so every year about this time it's good to throw it out there with any mods that have been made and to upset everyone. Is everyone more upset because the BCS system works well for their team (ohio State is my squad as well and the BCS has been good to them...not the games, but the system)? Or that they are depressed that this more than likely will never happen? It would be like March Madness, but on a level so high that March Madness will look like the Alaskan Shootout money wise compared to the December Deception B)

I suppose you don't get up before 7pm to watch college football? For example you would start with east regional game (11:00EST), then south reg game (2:30EST), north reg game (5:00 EST), then finally west reg game (8:00EST). A whole day of meaningful games instead of watching the armed forces bowl or some crap, I am pretty sure that people will get up as real college football fans do every week and make it to the game site or onto their couches to watch four more weeks of meaningful football. But hey if you don't wake up before 7pm to watch football then maybe you should go back to making concepts for dunkin donuts or make your way over to the world of warcraft forums;)

Well you said all "starting at 11:00", I interpreted that as all games happening simultaneously at 11:00 AM. Of course, staggered start times would be a must for something like this.

And for the record, I don't get up before 7pm to watch college football... I get up before 7pm to do just about anything in the world other than watching college football. I would watch a playoff though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Even though the Big East and ACC are in the BCS, it is my opinion that these two confs have been the step children of the BCS, example Cincy not getting any credit as of yet for being a really good team, and the ACC being down in recent years. After the first four year rotation there could be a realignment of sorts if the ACC and/or Big East have been more sucessful through winning percentage or BCS rankings, something like that. I just like looking at this because the smaller confs have shown up in the regular season and the post season against the big 6 + ND. It would just be fantastic to have two whole Sat. of heart pounding win or go home big time football. I just believe that this is one of the most fair ways to make everyone happy and make everyone A LOT of money...that's what's all about anyways right? :D

Granted I don't watch a lot of NCAA football, but what's so hard about just taking the top eight teams at the end of the regular season and putting them in a playoff? It seems so much simpler then either the current BCS system or some of the other playoff systems devised.

I'm more in favor of the +1 system they were wanting to implement a few seasons ago. That way there, you get a semi-finals and a finals, you can get the four Bowls in the BCS right now, add in the Cotton Bowl and rotate every year.

Granted I don't watch a lot of NCAA football, but what's so hard about just taking the top eight teams at the end of the regular season and putting them in a playoff? It seems so much simpler then either the current BCS system or some of the other playoff systems devised.

The top 8 is a subjective ranking really. Say there are 4 undefeateds, plus 7 10-1 teams, who's ranked above who? Strength of schedule is always a subjective thing too. Boise beat Oregon, but Oregon has lost twice since, so does that win still count for as much as it did at the time (Oregon was ranked #8 I believe...)

Archived