Deadspin.com

rmackman

With the release of information regarding Cleveland Indians outfielder Grady Sizemore's "racy photos," it appears Deadspin.com has posted some. I personally do not think this was very smart, but they are also one of the sites who posted Erin Andrews' photos as well. Now, I do think Deadspin often breaks news that only an insider would be able to get, however, I feel they go about it in the wrong way. To me they blur the line between tabloid and real journalism. They almost revel in going too far. Has anyone else read their stuff? What are your thoughts?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Since the departure of Will Leitch, the parent company of Deadspin, Gawker Media has made sure that the site becomes less about sport and more about gossip and entertainment. I cannot find the email on the site (which they did display), but Gawker founder Nick Denton recently sent a memo to his staff imploring them to act less like traditional media. "Let's check to see whether the associated claim is true," Denton wrote. "But we should publish anyway, making clear what we know to be true and what remains up in the air ... There's no way we're going to slow our publishing schedule to that of a ponderous newspaper-style organization, where everything has to go through layers of edit and approval and checking and legal ... At some media organizations, you might get rapped for running a premature story. At Gawker Media, you'll lose way more points for being scooped on a story you had in your hands."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1932286,00.html#ixzz0YS5HxkTW

Wow, a surprisingly wide pedestal you're all standing on there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That's a good point about Deadspin getting even worse since Leitch left (and it was sketchy then too). Heaven knows I like making smartass remarks at sports news, because that's like 75% of my posting here, but at least I try to dedicate the other 25% to constructive well-reasoned sports thoughts. Deadspin is now just apparently drunk people and dick pictures with mountains of "snarky" quips by the likes of "John Smoltz's Future Hairpiece" and such. It's easy to see why Buzz Bissinger and his ilk would be threatened or annoyed by Deadspin: there's almost no informative or compelling sportswriting. Sure, "Trey Wingo Got Really Plastered One Time" has its place, but so do supermarket tabloids. Its place as the #1 sports blog is unwarranted.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Since the departure of Will Leitch, the parent company of Deadspin, Gawker Media has made sure that the site becomes less about sport and more about gossip and entertainment. I cannot find the email on the site (which they did display), but Gawker founder Nick Denton recently sent a memo to his staff imploring them to act less like traditional media. "Let's check to see whether the associated claim is true," Denton wrote. "But we should publish anyway, making clear what we know to be true and what remains up in the air ... There's no way we're going to slow our publishing schedule to that of a ponderous newspaper-style organization, where everything has to go through layers of edit and approval and checking and legal ... At some media organizations, you might get rapped for running a premature story. At Gawker Media, you'll lose way more points for being scooped on a story you had in your hands."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1932286,00.html#ixzz0YS5HxkTW

And you know what? I began my process of phasing the site out of my daily browsing when they released that statement.

Granted, I usually derived more entertainment from the comments than the content anyway, and well...they kind of killed that too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What I like about Deadspin; when they bash media people for being idiots.

What I don't like about Deadspin; pretty much everything else.

Deadspin fancies themselves as sort of a sports version of the Daily Show, lampooning the idiocy of major sports news outlets like ESPN.

Unfortunately, their "lampooning" usually goes no deeper than "Haha, Chris Berman hit on a girl in a club a few years ago. Damn, we're edgy."

Deadspin fancies themselves as sort of a sports version of the Daily Show, lampooning the idiocy of major sports news outlets like ESPN.

Unfortunately, their "lampooning" usually goes no deeper than "Haha, Chris Berman hit on a girl in a club a few years ago. Damn, we're edgy."

That's kind of the problem with everything. Daily Show walks a fine balance between irony and cynicism that so many other media outlets are unable to do.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What I like about Deadspin; when they bash media people for being idiots.

What I don't like about Deadspin; pretty much everything else.

On occasion they do a little better than that.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The problem with the Daily Show doing that is the way they choose their battles. Stewart sees himself as occupying some higher ground, but when he gets called out, he goes right into the "well come on we're on the channel with the puppet prank calls" shell. He can't have it both ways, nor can Deadspin comport themselves as legitimate alternative media while also devoting the lion's share of their "coverage" to pictures of athletes playing beer pong.

Comment on a Deadspin post compiling the "bloggers in basements" meme:

Deadspin: "Bloggers should be taken seriously!! I don't live in Mom's basement anymore!!"

(Also Deadspin: "I will publish any old crap and rumors about people who I don't like, or even a bull :censored: story about a baseball coach I've never met.")

kinda yeah :[

Archived