Team Canada Is Named

Korbyn

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=24190.html?cid=rsstsn

The roster is set: Meet Team Canada

CTVOlympics.ca

Posted Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:21 PM ET

Scott Niedermayer will captain Team Canada at the 2010 Olympic Games, with Sidney Crosby, Jarome Iginla and Chris Pronger to serve as alternates.

The four players were among 23 named to Team Canada on Wednesday at an unveiling in Saskatoon, Sask.

Joining Niedermayer and Pronger on the blueline for Canada are Dan Boyle, Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Shea Weber and Brent Seabrook.

Rounding out Canada's forwards are Patrice Bergeron, Ryan Getzlaf, Dany Heatley, Patrick Marleau, Brenden Morrow, Rich Nash, Corey Perry, Mike Richards, Eric Staal, Joe Thornton and Jonathan Toews.

Martin Brodeur, Marc-Andre Fleury and Roberto Luongo will be between the pipes for Canada.

Watch a replay of the announcement and continue to chat.

Here's how Team Canada breaks down:

Forwards

Patrice Bergeron, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Que. (Boston Bruins)

Sidney Crosby, Cole Harbour, N.S. (Pittsburgh Penguins) Alternate captain

Ryan Getzlaf, Regina, Sask. (Anaheim Ducks)

Dany Heatley, Calgary, Alta. (San Jose Sharks)

Jarome Iginla, St. Albert, Alta. (Calgary Flames) Alternate captain

Patrick Marleau, Aneroid Sask. (San Jose Sharks)

Brenden Morrow, Carlyle, Sask. (Dallas Stars)

Rick Nash, Brampton, Ont. (Columbus Blue Jackets)

Mike Richards, Kenora, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers)

Corey Perry, Peterborough, Ont. (Anaheim Ducks)

Eric Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont. (Carolina Hurricanes)

Joe Thornton, St. Thomas, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)

Jonathan Toews, Winnipeg, Man. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Defence

Dan Boyle, Ottawa, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)

Drew Doughty, Ottawa, Ont. (LA Kings)

Duncan Keith, Penticton, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Scott Niedermayer, Cranbrook, B.C. (Anaheim Ducks) - Captain

Chris Pronger, Dryden, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers) - Alternate captain

Brent Seabrook, Tsawwassen, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Shea Weber, Sicamous, B.C. (Nashville Predators)

Goalies

Roberto Luongo, Montreal, Que. (Vancouver Canucks)

Martin Brodeur, Montreal, Que. (New Jersey Devils)

Marc-Andre Fleury, Sorel, Que. (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Steve Yzerman and co. have made their decisions, but what could generate even more discussion is what players aren't on that list.

Notable forwards left out of the mix include Jeff Carter (Flyers), Shane Doan (Phoenix Coyotes), Ryan Smyth (LA Kings), Vincent Lecavalier (Tampa Bay Lightning), Martin St. Louis (Tampa Bay Lightning), Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay Lightning) and Mike Fisher (Ottawa Senators).

Of the goalies invited to Team Canada's Olympic orientation camp in August, Cam Ward (Carolina Hurricanes) and Steve Mason (Columbus Blue Jackets) didn't make the cut.

Notable blueliners not named to the team include Mike Green of the Washington Capitals, the leading point-getting defenceman in the NHL; and Calgary Flames Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.

Insider note: Team Canada's brass met until midnight Tuesday, and the most discussed topic was the seventh defenceman, according to TSN analyst Pierre McGuire. The two players they were talking about: Doughty and Bouwmeester.

Team Canada opens the 2010 Olympic Games on Feb. 16 against Norway. Vancouver marks the fourth Olympic Games with full NHL participation.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Extremely proud to see that Mike Richards made the team. Lots of talk before hand about how he was going to be left out, but the Captain of the 2005 World Junior team and pride of Kenora Ontario made it ... whew!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Extremely proud to see that Mike Richards made the team. Lots of talk before hand about how he was going to be left out, but the Captain of the 2005 World Junior team and pride of Kenora Ontario made it ... whew!

I'm surprised he did. Picking Richards and Staal show that this season so far didn't matter, they were set no matter what. Not quite sure how Morrow made it either, Doan and Smyth would have been better players for the same spot/niche.

It's actually quite interesting, the picks of Marleau, Doughty, and Seabrook show that this season did have some impact for some players. I still think they went with the idea that players couldn't hurt their standing though.

I may be in the minority with Caps fans, but I'm glad that Mike Green was not chosen on Team Canada for the Olympics. From the seven defensemen listed, it appears Canada has a complimentary style of shutdown D and occasional scoring D. Perhaps Team Canada brass though Green has too much of a forward mentality while playing defense.

I may be in the minority with Caps fans, but I'm glad that Mike Green was not chosen on Team Canada for the Olympics. From the seven defensemen listed, it appears Canada has a complimentary style of shutdown D and occasional scoring D. Perhaps Team Canada brass though Green has too much of a forward mentality while playing defense.

I believe that was the biggest reason, his biggest asset was one of his downfalls here.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Biggest Surprises: Bergeron (Only guy to make the team who wasn't at the Summer Camp), Doughty (he's crazy good, but only 20)

Biggest Snubs: Martin St. Louis, Mike Green, Brad Richards

Bergeron wasn't quite as big a surprise for me, but only because analysts had started bringing up his name as a possibility despite not attending the summer camp. Doughty might not see a whole lot of playing time, but it will be a great experience for him.

St. Louis and Richards were never really in the mix this time around. And I'll agree that Green being left out was a surprise, but the team brass must figure they're going to get enough offense from other places that they don't really need him and the possible defensive gaffes they might have to put up with to get said offense.

My biggest surprise inclusion has to be Chris Pronger, especially as an alternate captain. I'm not a big fan to start with, I'll admit, but I think his level of play has deteriorated a fair bit over the past few years. I'd swap him out for Bouwmeester in a heartbeat.

Maybe we'll see some International Head Shots?

I believe that was the biggest reason, his biggest asset was one of his downfalls here.

Im happy from a certain standpoint, however, I would've liked to see Green get a little recognition for what he does and we Caps fans know he worked hard to improve his overall game to impress Team Canada brass and it still wasnt good enough. Im happy cause now he gets to play with another chip on his shoulder to prove to everyone that he is the best defenseman in the league despite what the Norris voters and Team Canada thinks. The rest doesnt hurt either while the rest of our best players are off to Vancouver, he gets to sit and enjoy the Olympics from the safety of his exquisite pad in Arlington.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Outside of Bouwmeester not making the team who's play has dwindled as the Flames play dwindled this month the Team looks very strong and looks to be the favorite heading in. Now I'm very anxious to see what Team USA brings to the table.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So, who is this year's Rob Zamanuer?

-Dan

You mean Zamuner.

-Korbyn

It's hilarious that you of all people have the nerve to correct someone's grammar.

Hahaha, I did it more as a joke and honestly didn't think anyone would care.

I see it done all the time ... :blink:

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Maybe we'll see some International Head Shots?

His hit on Booth was so dirty that he didn't even get suspended!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Duncan Keith logs like 28 minutes a night, with Seabs surely not far behind. Do they really have to do this crap? Wouldn't they be better served with a fortnight of rest and light practice? I mean, we're trying to win a Stanley Cup here. That's what they're being paid to do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Duncan Keith logs like 28 minutes a night, with Seabs surely not far behind. Do they really have to do this crap? Wouldn't they be better served with a fortnight of rest and light practice? I mean, we're trying to win a Stanley Cup here. That's what they're being paid to do.

while i see your point... as much as these guys are Professional hockey players they are Canadians and they want to play for their country especially when its in our own backyard... I am sure if they wanted to they could have declined the invite in the summer but they didnt... same goes with the russians, americans, swedes, etc... hell ovechkin and malkin are threatening to skip the 2014 season unless they get to play in the olympics in russia...

and on a personal note i played against alot of american teams when i played hockey when i was younger there was nothing better than to hear the national anthem knowing you were playing for countries pride... i was jacked way up for those games...

so while im sure they dont have to, they truly want to cuz if they didnt there is a ton of hungry canadians who would give anything to be on this team

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Archived