2010 NASCAR Season

BrySmalls

200px-Daytona_500_2009.png

Drivers, start your engines!

We're soon approaching the Budwesier Shootout (Feb 6th) and the 52nd running of The Great American Race (Feb 14th), and what a better way to rev-up for the season then to discuss the changes at hand (I didn't cover all the changes, so feel free to add on). NASCAR brass has finally figured out that their sport is becoming stale and in order to put the fans back in the seats, one of the rule changes is intended to encourage drivers to be more aggressive and show some more emotion on and off the track. In order to do that, NASCAR is going to now allow bump-drafting at Daytona and Talladega as well as allow more contact on the race track. This will make the race track much more competitive in 2010, and could really lead to a lot of intense racing during the season. The experiment of allowing bump-drafting again at those two tracks could be accepted in a wider fashion if it turns out to be a success, but this is a very good first step for NASCAR. Sure it might create some anger between some racers on the track, but that is the intent behind letting something like this happen (Link).

Another change coming this year will be an eventual switch from the rear wing to a spoiler on the back of the car, a design change that should both positively affect downforce and the aesthetic look that race fans prefer.

Also on tap is an organizational restructuring. The most prominent shuffle is the promotion of longtime Sprint Cup Series director John Darby into an oversight position, and NASCAR is actively looking for his replacement in a role that is effectively the top cop of the garage (Link).

ESPN, for the first time, will televise nine out of the ten "Chase for the Sprint Cup" races, with the exception of the Charlotte race being televised on ABC (Link).

Danica Patrick will begin her NASCAR career by racing in the Nationwide Series. She will drive the #7 car for JR Motorsports on a limited schedule, since she still races full-time for IRL (Link).

Other Useful Information:

2010 Teams.

2010 Paint Schemes.

But the biggest question is: Can Jimmie Johnson win 5 straight?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand why the Shootout is sponsored by Budweiser seeing that the race is for past pole sitters and that award is now sponsored by Coors Light. Well whatever I hope to get back watching Nascar on a full time basis last few years have really angered me as a fan.

I'm going on the record by saying Jimmie Johnson will not win his 5th straight title but his new paint scheme is one of the best in all of Nascar, Dale Jr. will make the Chase oh and Carl Edwards will win at least 2 races.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I still don't understand why the Shootout is sponsored by Budweiser seeing that the race is for past pole sitters and that award is now sponsored by Coors Light. Well whatever I hope to get back watching Nascar on a full time basis last few years have really angered me as a fan.

I'm going on the record by saying Jimmie Johnson will not win his 5th straight title and Dale Jr. will make the Chase.

I hope only one of those statements is true. But I'm in the same boat as you, I hope to be watching Nascar on a more regular basis this season.

The 2010 NASCAR thread. Excellent. Lots of stuff to talk about...

The new spoiler: Hopefully it will help. Personally, I didn't think the racing was nearly as bad last season as everyone made it out to be but if the spoiler can help make things more competitive then why not?

On the looks of the new spoiler: Am I the only one who thinks the COT is actually better looking than the old car? I realize that it's near impossible to differentiate between manufacturers with the new car and people think it's "boxy looking" etc. but aesthetically I think it's a nice upgrade over the old car. The spoiler is going to look weird on it.

Bump drafting: After the 200 lap parade at Talladega last fall I think NASCAR knew they'd better so something and quick. Mark Martin floated the idea of allowing passing below the yellow line on the last lap at Daytona and 'Dega. Should it happen, that could get really interesting.

Encouraging "emotion": Nice idea but it's not entirely NASCAR's fault that drivers are emotionless robots. With the corporate money that goes into sponsoring the sport these days drivers have to be careful to make sure they're portraying the right image not only for the sport but their sponsors. So we may see some "emotion" from the lower end guys but I wouldn't expect a lot of changes from the big money drivers.

ESPN's Chase coverage: The sooner ESPN drops out and FOX and SPEED pick up all the races the better. NASCAR is the bastard stepchild at ESPN and it shows. NASCAR doesn't seem to have ESPN's full attention and it hurts the broadcasts.

Danica Patrick: I love the idea of her racing NASCAR but until she devotes her full attention to it, it's nothing but a dog and pony show. Personally, I'd love to see her succeed and pave the way for more women drivers. NASCAR's fan base is 44% women so more women drivers can only help the sport.

Paint schemes: I am always surprised that NASCAR paint schemes aren't a bigger topic around here. I like JJ's new look but this is still the best looking car on the track...

24dupont-media-r1.jpg

And finally...

Can the 48 team make it five in a row? Yes. Will they? No. I think we're going to see some surprises year. I think Tony Stewart wins the cup this season and I think we'll see a few new faces in the chase.

My pick for the guy to watch this season...

Martin Truex driving the 56 NAPA Toyota. He's finally in a car with consistently good equipment. I think he's this year's surprise chase contender.

It's great to be talking racing again.

BB52Big.jpg

I look for a huge rebound from Roush this year. Terrible years from Edwards and Kenseth (Outside of the first two races) also David Regan so hyped last year failed to do anything I think he wins a race this year.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm going on the record by saying Jimmie Johnson will not win his 5th straight title but his new paint scheme is one of the best in all of Nascar, Dale Jr. will make the Chase oh and Carl Edwards will win at least 2 races.

It is probably due to the fact that the race concept was originated by an Anheuser-Busch brand manager, plus remember while NASCAR is the race series, ISC is a separate company which must promote the individual races at their ISC owned tracks. Budweiser still has a large on-track presence, especially at Daytona, even in promotional materials.

To answer the question about the Bud Shootout. It is NOT for pole winners anymore. Last year it changed to take the top 6 drivers from each manufacturer and this year it changed again to take the Chase drivers from last year, past Shootout winners, and drivers who have done well at Daytona in the 500 and the July race, past champions, and last year's rookie of the year. It changed when Coors took over the Pole Award and Budweiser still had rights for the race.

To answer the question about the Bud Shootout. It is NOT for pole winners anymore. Last year it changed to take the top 6 drivers from each manufacturer and this year it changed again to take the Chase drivers from last year, past Shootout winners, and drivers who have done well at Daytona in the 500 and the July race, past champions, and last year's rookie of the year. It changed when Coors took over the Pole Award and Budweiser still had rights for the race.

So basically the formula is just finding a way to get all the popular drivers involved? :D

BB52Big.jpg

So basically the formula is just finding a way to get all the popular drivers involved? :D

The formula has changed, but I just found this from the Sports Business Daily when Coors Light replaced Budweiser as the "official beer of NASCAR" in September 2007, starting with the 2008 season. The Coors Light deal is for a total of five years.

"It will be up to [iSC] whether to continue the race with Coors Light or another sponsor (starting in 2008). Our agreement does not include the Shootout. That is a separate entitlement with ISC," said NASCAR Dir of Business Communications Andrew Giangola.

I was right in thinking it was a track issue, not a series issue unlike the mess with telecommunication sponsors in the Sprint Series or insurance sponsors in the Nationwide.

I love going over to Jayski to see the new paint schemes for the year. A lot of people hate that cars are constantly changing, but I love it.

I know it's only an exhibition, but Ken Schrader is taking Scott Speed's ride for the Shootout. It's been a long time since he was in a great car, and I hope he does well.

Denny Hamlin torn his ACL in his left knee during a pickup basketball game and will have surgery at the end of the 2010 season.

So much for being considered a top contender for this year.

Huh? It's obviously not bad enough to affect his walking or driving, so why would this affect him being a contender? What will affect him being a contender is more bone-head moves such as at California in October, not a tear in the knee. If the knee was so bad to affect his driving, don't you think he'd have surgery today rather than after the season. Oh and I think Jeff Gordon's back last year was more of an issue than Denny's knee this year, and Gordon didn't do so bad, 3rd in the points. Denny probably has a grade 1 tear of the ligament, which is minor compared to a grade 3 tear.

Denny Hamlin torn his ACL in his left knee during a pickup basketball game and will have surgery at the end of the 2010 season.

Huh? It's obviously not bad enough to affect his walking or driving, so why would this affect him being a contender? What will affect him being a contender is more bone-head moves such as at California in October, not a tear in the knee. If the knee was so bad to affect his driving, don't you think he'd have surgery today rather than after the season. Oh and I think Jeff Gordon's back last year was more of an issue than Denny's knee this year, and Gordon didn't do so bad, 3rd in the points. Denny probably has a grade 1 tear of the ligament, which is minor compared to a grade 3 tear.

ANythings possible. We don't know the extent of his injury, however, waiting 9 months to have surgery is a risky move, but not as riskier of having surgery before the season begins.

ANythings possible. We don't know the extent of his injury, however, waiting 9 months to have surgery is a risky move, but not as riskier of having surgery before the season begins.

"Not as riskier?" Like NASCAR fans don't have enough stereotypes to deal with already?

BB52Big.jpg

"Not as riskier?" Like NASCAR fans don't have enough stereotypes to deal with already?

I'm lost. Can you explain?

Archived