Dubuque Fighting Saints

mfoster

Same name as the previous franchise, without the WHA-ripoff logo. Odd that they'd choose red as their color, given that their closest rivals down the road, Waterloo, are red and black.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

IIRC, the original Fighting Saints used red as their primary color too. But if I was running the team, I probably still would've chosen a different color, or at least a different shade of red.

saints_logo.jpgsaints_logo2.jpgsaints_logo3.jpg

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=270873

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fighting Saints to return

New USHL franchise pays tribute to Dubuque's rich history.

BY JIM LEITNER TH SPORTS EDITOR

The decision might have been as easy as scoring an empty net goal.

Dubuque's expansion team in the United States Hockey League will be called the Fighting Saints -- a nod to the city's history in the league from 1980-2001. Gary Suter, who played two seasons in Dubuque before a 17-year career in the NHL, helped Northern Lights Hockey managing director Brad Kwong unveil the identity Saturday morning during the Dubuque Sports & Recreation Festival at the Dubuque Grand River Center.

"I couldn't imagine having a USHL team in Dubuque and it not being named the Fighting Saints," said Suter, who now coaches in the Madison Capitols youth program. "I guess I'm a throwback. But, anything else would be like having an NFL team in Green Bay not named the Packers ... even though I'm a Favre fan.

"As soon as I heard the USHL was coming back to Dubuque, I was really hoping they'd go back to Fighting Saints. I'm ecstatic that they decided to go back to it."

So were local fans. When Northern Lights announced its expansion bid in November, it established an online survey for hockey enthusiasts.

"The overwhelming choice was Fighting Saints, which kind of surprised me," Kwong said. "I knew it was popular, but I didn't expect it to be that one-sided. Clearly, it's a name with which fans can identify. Many associate the name Fighting Saints with a history of success, the positive relationships they had with many popular players and the numerous great hockey memories."

The new logo features a bold, stylized 'D' bisected by a battle-ready sword which has for a handle a fleur de lis, a well-known icon in Dubuque. A tilted halo sits above the sword.

The secondary marks include other local iconography, including the Julien Dubuque Monument. The team will wear red and white jerseys with Silver accents. For select games, the Saints will wear jerseys with the retro "Saint man" logo from the team's early days.

"With the logos, we strived to create an identity that would represent the great city of Dubuque in a traditional, classic hockey look," Kwong said.

Representatives from the new team met with fans and answered questions about next year's inaugural season at Mystique Ice Center.

"We knew there was an established fan base here," Kwong said. "We've heard a lot about the great fans here, and it was nice to see it and feel it here today. It was a little overwhelming to see the wave of people coming through here. We're excited about putting a product on the ice that the people of Dubuque can be proud to support."

Love everything about this, except for the halos, and that the D-Sword logo doesn't have silver, while the other two do.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just noticed that it'd be pretty tough for a banner to wrap around a sword like that. There would have to be a full loop behind the sword, as opposed to the more obvious approach of looping the bottom part around the front of the sword. The approach that was taken looks better, but it really doesn't create the wrapping effect like it is supposed to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just noticed that it'd be pretty tough for a banner to wrap around a sword like that. There would have to be a full loop behind the sword, as opposed to the more obvious approach of looping the bottom part around the front of the sword. The approach that was taken looks better, but it really doesn't create the wrapping effect like it is supposed to.

You're confused because that's not a ribbon. It's a roll of toilet paper. You take the two-ply stuff, and you separate the layers so that you can roll it off in two direction at once. Makes it much harder to get out of trees and so forth. It's kind of an Eastern Iowa thing.

(Not true! I just couldn't think of a clever way to say, "Huh, I didn't see that, but now that you point it out, you're right." I think the effect would work better if the left side of the solid red banner "loop" didn't extend quite so far to the left. It's a little unbalanced, and that's a feature where symmetry is your friend, in that it makes the detail much harder to notice, and the audience not noticing it is a good thing.)

20082614447.png

• 2 weeks later...

That logo is great though. Good to see the USHL doing well.

Dubuque isn't the only new team coming into the USHL next season. There should be another one announced after the winter meetings this week.

That'd make sense, get to 16 next year.

Any more confirmation on this? I checked their site and saw nothing, so wondering if it was true at all.

Archived